The Malazan Book of the Fallen

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Onos T'oolan wrote:Before DoD.
iknowiknowiknow you should never quote a t'lan imass

Just so I'm straight on this, Toll The Hounds then Stonewielder then Dust of Dreams?
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Stonemaybe wrote:
Onos T'oolan wrote:Before DoD.
iknowiknowiknow you should never quote a t'lan imass

Just so I'm straight on this, Toll The Hounds then Stonewielder then Dust of Dreams?
Technically, I think Stonewielder has traditionally been placed chronologically between Dust of Dreams and the Crippled God. Should you read it like that? I write unto thee, NAY! It's better the way everyone is suggesting it.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

I don't think it matters too much.
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

[Syl] wrote:Skimming House of Chains? Craziness.
Considering I've read it 5 or 6 times already... :lol:

--A
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

it's only one letter, but a -> h is my acknowledgement of 3.5m enjoyable words (though still only a tenth into tCG)
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>

Post by Avatar »

This thread will do...

It's always amusing reading the first book of an epic, when you can see that the author hadn't decided yet on things that later get revealed.

Re-reading GotM, and Caladan Brood keeps getting referred to as "half-human" even though we know from the Kharkanas books that he's actually
Spoiler
Azathani
. :D

--A
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

oh hilare! creator and I were just talking about Caladan Brood last night! he has named all his (many many) toons in WoW after Malazan characters and he was showing me all their transmog outfits last night (his female characters are all dress VERY skimpily!! lol!!! no surprise there, we call those outfits "slut mogs"!! lol!!) and I was looking at his death knight toon (anomandaris) saying it looked more like caladan brood and he said no, he'd need to make caladan brood a different race, like troll or orc, a race with tusks because Brood is a jhaghut...and I thought to myself...is he? a jhag? but you're right Av...he's not jhag...heh. :lol: ;)
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~

Post by Avatar »

:lol: No, no he's not. (Although he is sometimes described as "bestial" to be fair.)

Nearly done with GoTM. I often forget how much stuff actually gets set up in this book. And the whole Darujhistan storyline in it really is good.

--A
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Avatar wrote::lol: No, no he's not. (Although he is sometimes described as "bestial" to be fair.)

Nearly done with GoTM. I often forget how much stuff actually gets set up in this book. And the whole Darujhistan storyline in it really is good.

--A
re setup: RIGHT?!!
and i think i said before somewhere, i hadn't read Deadhouse Gates but once in all the years i've been reading Malazan. the others i'd read numerous times over the years but DG had just gutted me for some reason. i'd kept thinking of it as too "brutal" to re-read, so i hadn't. until a few months back when i did a re-read of the entire series via Audible. i've become addicted to being read to! lol. anyways, i decided to listen to DG this time through and i was sooooo friggin amazed at how much INFORMATION is in DG and all the stuff that happens in that book!!
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~

Post by Avatar »

DHG is my favourite. Partly because it's so brutal maybe.

Just started it again. :D (For what, according to the Gen Fantasy forum, is the 7th time.) :D

--A

Post by Avatar »

Well, enjoying DHG as always.

Always amuses me how the time jumping comes back to bite the author...here we learn Sha'ik's Toblakai bodyguard (Karsa, although we don't know that yet) is supposed to be 17 years old. :D

In HoC we learn his people aren't even considered adult until they're like 50 or something.

Felisin is always tragic of course, and Heboric...learned something interesting about him in Kellanved's Reach, sadly they must have only thought of it then, since we never see it manifested in the rest of the books.

--A

Post by Avatar »

Nearly finished MoI, and spotted something that always catches me...

As we know, Whiskeyjack used to command an army, and a lot of the current lowly characters were once much higher ranked...

Dujek and Whiskeyjack are talking, and Dujeck says something about "that's why Laseen inverted the command structure...so the right people would be on the ground when Kellanved made his move."

He also says something like "the first hint that Kellanved wasn't as dead as we might have hoped..."

Schemes within schemes within schemes...

--A
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

I wanted to go back and listen to the series again but the expanse hooked me and i'm listening to it again instead. I hate the guy that reads the Malazan books.

ok...well I guess I don't actually hate him since I don't actually know him but I don't like his reading. ugh. anyway...
soldier on Av, I like your little "catches". :D
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~

Post by Avatar »

Haha, well, a big one for me is at the end of MoI, in K'ruls Bar, when in the book's last lines, Duiker finally speaks to tell the tale of the Chain of Dogs, of Coltaine of the Crow Clan, newly come Fist to the Malazan 7th Army...

(It also makes me wonder why DHG was book 2 and MOI book 3...MOI as book 2 could have ended like that, and led into DHG...)

(Also, we know from Kellanved's Reach that the 7th army was actually the first...Cartheron Crust just wanted to call it the 7th. :D )

Anyway, started HoC, which we know from the prologue and Trull Sengar's shorning, is happening somewhere in the late middle of Midnight Tides. (Which was referenced in book 3 when Paran finds the real throne of Shadow is is begged for help against the Edur Emperor, the "bringer of midnight tides...")

--A

Post by Avatar »

Ah, found it in HoC...When Karsa leaves his village, he's just turned 80...finally a full warrior. :D

(Also, in DHG the "children" he's killed are taken pretty literally, but actually he doesn't kill children, just non-Toblakai who he calls children.)

--A
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Avatar wrote:Ah, found it in HoC...When Karsa leaves his village, he's just turned 80...finally a full warrior. :D

(Also, in DHG the "children" he's killed are taken pretty literally, but actually he doesn't kill children, just non-Toblakai who he calls children.)

--A
yeah it's kind of amazing how many readers really hate karsa because he kills children!!!! :haha: hilarious to me because that thought never occurred to me. I knew what he meant the first time he said it.
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~

Post by Avatar »

I only figured it out after he met the raiding party in HoC. In DHG there was no reason to assume it was meant other than literally, especially with Heboric rabbiting on about it. :D

Just passed the part of HoC where Nok is giving Tavore a thumbnail history of the old Emperor's rise, and it just shows how continuity is the bug-bear of huge series.

His version differs in the details to what we've just learned in the "Path to Ascendancy" books. Not too significantly, but at least in terms of chronology (which bits happened when) and allegiances.

(What really gets me about these books is their ability to keep drawing me in, even on this my 6th (I think) re-read. I know all the reveals, all the plot-twists, all the characters, but I still get caught up in the story again (and given its size, inevitably notice new details).)

--A
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Re bugbears: Is this a consistency issue, or realism? People learn different histories for the same periods. Also, there's the unreliable narrator mechanic.

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, that's pretty much how I justify it to myself usually, but this one was a bit more out...still possibly within the bounds of his perspective though I guess.

Just hit another one where Strings (Fiddler) reminisces about Braven Tooth giving Whiskeyjack his name, but he's given it by either Catheron or Dujek (can't recall) in Kellanved's Reach.

(Having 2 authors must compound the problem. :D)

--A

Post by Avatar »

Avatar wrote:I only figured it out after he met the raiding party in HoC. In DHG there was no reason to assume it was meant other than literally, especially with Heboric rabbiting on about it. :D
Just picked up in HoC that Heboric wasn't wrong. But the ("recently birthed") children he saw were not killed by Karsa, they were the progeny never to be born of those he did kill.

--A

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”