EVE Online

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

Nav
Lord

EVE Online

Post by Nav »

www.eve-online.com

The guys on the BritPod podcast were talking about this the other day and I thought I'd check it out. It's basically an Elite-style MMOG and I've been waiting for nigh on twenty years for a good successor to Elite and Frontier. From what I've read, EVE is massively involving, taking about a week to get past the scratching-around beginning phase that isn't really much fun. That sounds a bit extreme to me, but apparently you can work for player-operated corporations at the first rungs of the ladder, which will help a bit.

One thing that does put me off is that, like Freelancer, you don't pilot the ship yourself, rather you program in a course and the ship follows it. It looks like this is intended to ensure 'realistic' engagements at extreme range than the in-your-face dogfighting often found in space-sims, which I like the idea of.

The other thing that puts me off is the price. I don't think CCP are quite as profiteering as Blizzard, but the thought of shelling out an additional £7.50 a month does not fill me with a warm fuzzy glow. That said, you don't have to shell out £30 for the game (it's a 500mb download), so it's more a case of deciding if I have the time to justify paying for two MMOGs.

I'm really enjoying WoW at the moment, so I'm not going to do anything right away but the next time I hit a levelling flat-spot I might just download EVE and buy a 1-month subscription. It could be the game I've been looking for ever since my Amiga went up in smoke.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.

Return to “PC & Console Games”