A Feast for Crows - Spoiler topic

Winter is coming...

Moderator: dANdeLION

OsRavan
Woodhelvennin

Post by OsRavan »

new one. the old one is the house that was in harrenhall before the whents
Spoiler
as to dunk shields.. thats prob more something for the hardcore fans who have been trying to figure out which character in the books is a descendent of dunks for a while now.
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Heh, i just finished this now - Took me longer than i expected.

I really liked the new POV, Cersei and Victorian especially.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was really surprised when Jamie's Aunt said that Tyrion was more like Twyin than Jamie.

I was also surprised when Cersie was imprisioned. I had a feeling that Jamie would not help her. He has pretty much seen her true colors - and they are not red and gold!
The King has one more move.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I think I'll just read your guys' spoilers from now on, as they're proving more interesting to me than the last book.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

What a fascinating thread! You guys picked up on many things I didn't.

I didn't realize Sandor might well be alive. Guess Martin should have yelled it in my ear. Speaking of people who might still be alive: I do hope Davos is still around. Also: knowing Martin, even Gregor could still be kicking. The skull was huge--but it didn't have any skin on it, remember. But I'm still leaning toward dead, as Qyburn is quite the thorough torturer.

Overall, gotta say I enjoyed Feast for Crows, despite many of my favorite characters being absent. Arya has been my favorite since Storm of Swords, though, so I didn't miss them too much. Tyrion was sorely missed, as well as Davos. Ah, I'll see 'em soon (hopefully Davos with his head and hands).
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Lord Foul wrote: Also: knowing Martin, even Gregor could still be kicking. The skull was huge--but it didn't have any skin on it, remember. But I'm still leaning toward dead, as Qyburn is quite the thorough torturer.
I have been wondering about that skull. Didn't one of the bounty dwarf heads delivered to Cersei have an unusually large size? I have been wondering if that is the skull.

Qyburn has been doing something really realy really bad. I am worried about what he is doing with the women's bodies, etc. I think he is doign something very very freaky and Frankensteinish with Gregor.

Gregor is terrible enough - can you imagine how much more terrible he would be if he were some sort of zombie/animated dead body? :o
Love as thou wilt.

Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Yipes! Just now I can picture a Gregor POV chapter going "brainsssss" over and over. Heh.

Also: gotta say I really like Sam now--almost as much as the Jon chapters from SoS. It's refreshing to see him come into his own; he punched someone, got laid, etc. What a guy! I think Randyll Tarly really screwed up, letting him go.

Brienne was kind of wearying at first. I'd be finishing a Jaime or Cersei chapter and then BAM Brienne *groan*. But my interest improved, especially as the fate of Sandor tied into her storyline. The Dorne chapters were tiresome too, but I grew into them. It looks like there's more to Prince Doran than there seems; not such a weak chap after all! Will be interesting to see his plan in full.
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I liked Sam. The kid is finally growing some balls, as exemplified when he went back to Gillie. :)

I really liked the Dorne chapters. I thought that there had to be more to Prince Doran than met the eye (he is the Viper's brother, after all :wink: ) and it turned out that he might be one of the quietest and deepest players of the Game of Thrones in Westeros. We shall have to see... :)
Love as thou wilt.

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Lord Foul wrote:The Dorne chapters were tiresome too, but I grew into them. It looks like there's more to Prince Doran than there seems; not such a weak chap after all! Will be interesting to see his plan in full.
It is intimated in A Storm of Swords that Doran's a pretty intelligent chap. The Dorne chapters are the ones I'm looking forward to the most. :D
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Caer Bombadil
Woodhelvennin

Post by Caer Bombadil »

Shall I come out & say it? I'm rather anticipating an eventual pairing: Jaime + Brienne. But only the Seven know what they'll have to go thru first.

Yeah, Cersei has nobody but herself to blame for her troubles. If the old High Septon still reigned, that pious "sparrow" wouldn't be in the big chair creating a theocracy. I guess eventually he will end up threatening to start some kind of Septic Jihad to add to Westeros' troubles.
Spoiler
I too suspected Sandor Clegane wasn't really dead. He was just starting to grow as a character. Besides, haven't we learned from Bran not to count anybody out completely if there's any room for doubt?

I think Qyburn doing a Frankenstein w/ Gregor Clegane's corpse is pretty broadly adumbrated. Remember the discussion with Cersei about the order for ridiculously heavy plate armor no living man could wear? D'ya suppose he'll send it smashing thru Baelor's Sept to Cersei's rescue if Q thinks there's a reward in it for him?

I agree Prince Doran is turning out to be the new Godfather Tywin for this phase of the cycle. He is obviously inviting his adversaries (and children) to underestimate him while he weaves his webs.

I think Arya was blinded to teach her humility and obedience. The assassins can't tolerate a pupil who goes knocking off anybody in the streets who annoy her.
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I would hate to see a "frankensteinish" figure in these books. It would make it dumb, IMHO.

I also see Jamie and Brienne union. Seems like Brienne is the only other person that Jamie really likes - or at least respects.

Read the Tyrion sample on Martin's website. It is great.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

variol son wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:The Dorne chapters were tiresome too, but I grew into them. It looks like there's more to Prince Doran than there seems; not such a weak chap after all! Will be interesting to see his plan in full.
It is intimated in A Storm of Swords that Doran's a pretty intelligent chap. The Dorne chapters are the ones I'm looking forward to the most. :D
I love the Dorne chapters! Ok, so I've only read one, but I really like it. For some reason Dorne is far more captivating than many other areas of Westeros, except for the North maybe. Probably because they are both so different from the rest of the Seven Kingdoms I guess.

I am also very much looking forward to reading about Oldtown and the Citadel. I haven't gotten far into the book, but the prologue and Qyburns hints have diffinately sparked an interest in me.

And Kevan Lannister is my new favourite Lannister. :D

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Ok, I'm about a third of the way through and I have only one problem.

The chapters set in Dorne and the Iron Islands are great as the are advancing story arcs that have been rather sparse until now. It's like Martin is filling in the blanks, and it's great.

A lot of the other chapters though, just seem to be filling space: Cersei, Brienne and Jaime especially. While I love them all, their stories seem to be moving horribly slowly.

Maybe I'm just missing the Bran, Sansa, Arya and Jon chapters that used to break things up. I'm definately missing Tyrion and Dany, although I know she is coming soon.

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I'm about the same place as you are--I'm enjoying the hell out of it--just happy to be back in Westeros. :D
fall far and well Pilots!
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Wow, Sansa doesn't piss me off anymore. Wonders will never cease. :D

I'm also really enjoying Arya, and getting into Brienne. Cersei though. She's just so dumb. Cunning, but dumb.

Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

variol son wrote: A lot of the other chapters though, just seem to be filling space: Cersei, Brienne and Jaime especially. While I love them all, their stories seem to be moving horribly slowly.
I think Jaime's a lot better when he's on the move. When he's just hanging out in King's Landing, it's kind of dull. His chapters are a little too much like Cersei's.

I liked the Brienne chapters a lot.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Ur-Ted wrote:His chapters are a little too much like Cersei's.
but they're twins right? :P Cersie's so frickin' judgemental it's amazing she can be cunning, at all... :biggrin:
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

And so...stupid! Letting the faith carry weapons again? What is the silly woman thinking?

Wait, I have a new favourite Lannister - Lady Genna.

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Lady Genna's great but Daven makes me laugh so hard--he's my newest fav Lannister! Christ, even Jamie laughs in these chapters. The (paperback) 600-700 pgs were becoming really boring at points, but the book seriously takes off after Daven appears! And what Cersie does to Lady Faylse and Lady Merryweather!!! 8O 8O 8O
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I think I will have to re-read the series before the next book comes out. I am re-reading this thread and I don't remember much of what happened. Yikes!!!

Return to “George R. R. Martin Forum”