What would you do????

Winter is coming...

Moderator: dANdeLION

Avytaya
Stonedownor

What would you do????

Post by Avytaya »

OK, I am, like many people, anxiously awaiting AFFC on Nov. 8th.
But I'm debating on how to purchase the book.
Should I take my chance at the local book store, or should I order from Amazon or Barnes & Noble.com? If I order online, will I get it it BY Nov. 8th, or will it SHIP on Nov. 8th?
Anyone know???
I know this is not a real important question, but I just got to have my hands on that book!
-Avy
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Always with Amazon, when I have preordered something (such as the Harry Potter books for my kids) it does arrive on the release date. This is only my personal experience, though, so you might want to wait for other people to confirm they have had similar happy experiences before you order. :wink:

With Runes of the Earth last year, I was not able to get it at either of my local bigbox bookstores on the release date. The entire shipment at both Barnes & Noble and at Borders went to fill orders of the people who had preordered it. I did find a copy a couple of days later at Borders, as they had gotten a few more copies in.

Suprisingly, given what I have said above, I will be getting AFFC in my local bookstore this year, on November 11. :) They will be having an author signing, so I'm pretty sure they will plenty in stock that day. :wink: I will have to wait a few extra days to get my book, but it will be worth it to get Mr. Martin's autograph on it. :lol:
Love as thou wilt.

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Amazon in the UK seems to have shipped the book with perfect timing with all the people I've heard who got it - mine arrived first thing in the morning on the 17th, which was the UK release date.

Duchess - are they restricting signing to books you buy on the day? At the UK tour dates I'm told you could bring along ones you already had. Suppose it depends on the store, though.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I've had problems with online preorders; the last time I attempted one the book arrived two weeks late and I was charged for it twice. Granted, that was an extreme situation, and back in the dark ages of online bookstores. 8)

Most bookstores have been taking reservations for a long time. They should know that there will be a very high demand. If they're smart, they will have plenty of extra copies on order.

Even so, it probably wouldn't hurt to put in a preorder if you do decide to go with the local bookstore.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

I got my HP6 around the middle of the day of release when ordering from Amazon.com, and although I heard there were problems with some people not getting their books on time, for the most part Amazon is very reliable. I think you might have good luck ordering from them, and they often offer discounts off the cover price, as well as free shipping for orders over a certain price.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

I webt to Borders to buy Feast, they had piles of them, literally hundreds.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.

Return to “George R. R. Martin Forum”