THOOLAH has come to redeem your mortal soul.

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

If you believe that the likelihood of any string of letters to be chosen as names in the books is exactly the same, you must be totally amazed that everyone in the Chronicles has a pronounceable name. Try to calculate the likelihood of that!
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

True. There is the pronounceability factor. But, even if it cuts the number down by three orders of magnitude (assuming that about every 1000 randomly generated 5 letter word is pronounceable) it is still an amzing coincidence Heh!
"I would have gone to the thesaurus for a more erudite word."
-Hashi Lebwohl
Variol Farseer
Bloodguard

Post by Variol Farseer »

It's not as unlikely as it looks. Remember the old chestnut about birthdays. How many people do you have to have in a room before there is a 50-50 chance that two of them will have the same birthday? Only about 23, though the odds for any given pair are 364:1 against (ignoring leap years).

We are not looking at the odds that one particular character will have a name that is the exact reverse of another's, but that any two characters will have such names. And there are a heck of a lot of characters in the Covenant books with five-letter names, from Amith to Whane. It was reasonably likely that such a coincidence would occur at least once.

SRD says it was a coincidence, and he never noticed it until someone from the Watch pointed it out. I believe him. I don't know of any other evidence that he invents names that way.
Without the Quest, our lives will be wasted.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

:crazy:
whattheheck happpend to this post?... :lol:
it's gone way in to left field!...
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

whattheheck happpend to this post?...
Not a big trip, as it started in left field anyway...
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

*laughs*

So true, IS, so true. :P
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

IrrationalSanity wrote:
whattheheck happpend to this post?...
Not a big trip, as it started in left field anyway...
Like anyone cares what you two think anyway.
No, WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE.
Your signatures tell the whole tale.
Spoiler
There is Banefire waiting for you both :twisted:

:lol:
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

Who made the Linden getting flamed avatar?Is it an Edgetar?
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Sunbaneglasses wrote:Who made the Linden getting flamed avatar?Is it an Edgetar?
It's an HL-Tar original.

:D
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

*shakes head miserably* It it just me, or are all of the females in the Chrons ABSOLUTELY BARKING MAD??????? Okay, the Giants are cool, Hollian was okay, and the Lady!Lords had their own issues, but the Elohim, humans, and assorted others *ahem why'd he write me as a "brother", eh* were all NUTS.

The entire Elena family was insane. Nuff said.

Linden wasn't even worthy of the title of pessimist, she was such a loser. I honestly wanted to tell her, "Just go ahead and die now, NO ONE will care."

And I'm not gonna go on with the Elohim bidness, we didn't have to put up with them much, and Finny was fun.

I'm gonna start my own little section. Can't think of a good name right now though. Grr. Curse you, Queen of Inaction! DO SOMETHING!!!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

The Good Doctor Lemley wrote:*shakes head miserably* It it just me, or are all of the females in the Chrons ABSOLUTELY BARKING MAD???????
Jest you. Osondrea, Gay/Rue, Amorine, Shetra, Amatin, The Healer, Hollian, Memla, the First, Heft Galewrath, Benj .... non-Barkers outnumber Barkers if you ask me.

Dare I ask, is there something about women that we don't notice as much the competent, reasonable, and level-headed ones? :wink:
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

oh crikey :roll:

looks like another example of the Watch running amuck...or is that Amok? ;)
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

covenantparadox wrote:Do you folks think your club is cool or funny? I think it's a freakin' weak disguise for your misogony.
Who doesn't want TC back! Wait and watch and if your able ...read. have a little faith after all you've invested a lot of time and effort in SRD haven't you?
BTW you are certainly entitled to your opinions and I should try harder to respect them but they come across as very anti woman and offend me. yes I am one of those feminists -Being In Total Control of Herself get it?
Oh for the love of god. Shut up, before you do yourself an injury.
Prebe wrote:Fist: I believe that SRD has repeatedly denied any connection between Anele and Elena in the GI. He claims that it is merely a coincidence.
He knew that. Check out the winky face: ;)
covenantparadox
Stonedownor

Linden - ya love her or ya hate her

Post by covenantparadox »

ok ok so I can't spell when I'm on a tirade! I always seem to be either bugged or lost by this thread? What is a Canuck?
Peaceout :oops:
I have experienced a profoundly personal connection to the characters of Thomas Covenant and Linden Avery and found their struggles with the paradox of power and necessity of evil to be a great resource for personal growth and self-examination.

"The only way to hurt a man who has lost everything is to give him back something broken"
covenantparadox
Stonedownor

Post by covenantparadox »

and you hhave a nice day too :roll:
I have experienced a profoundly personal connection to the characters of Thomas Covenant and Linden Avery and found their struggles with the paradox of power and necessity of evil to be a great resource for personal growth and self-examination.

"The only way to hurt a man who has lost everything is to give him back something broken"
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

a canuck is a Canadian.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

And this Canadian would like to invite covenantparadox to come join the House of Linden (or Temple of Elena, if you wish). :mrgreen:

But really, covenantparadox, no need to take up arms. A few years ago I was also probably very uptight about people taking shots at Linden, but I've learned to lighten up a bit since joining KW. I can still be a curmudgeon, but mostly I go with the flow.

(Though I'm still naturally protective of my beloved statue of Elena.) :screwy:
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=20001031
The term Canuck is first recorded about 1835 as an Americanism, originally referring specifically to a French Canadian. This was probably the original meaning, though in Canada and other countries, Canuck now more often refers to any Canadian.

Well over one million French Canadians migrated to New England in the second half of the 19th century, many of them working in lumber camps in Maine. Many of their descendants still live in New England. The writer Jack Kerouac was born into a French Canadian family in Massachusetts. He spoke joual, a Canadian French dialect, until he was about seven, so English was his second language. Mocking his part-American Indian ancestry, Kerouac said: "I not big genius... I big tin-eared Canuck." And it was in a New Hampshire newspaper that Senator Edmund Muskie was accused of laughing when an aide described Americans of French- Canadian descent as "Canucks."

The New Hampshire incident points up the ambivalent connotations of the term Canuck. Is it a neutral nickname, or is it patronizing, or even offensive? A Vermonter or Ottawan may use the nickname self-referentially, but outsiders should use it cautiously. It's also a matter of context and the speaker's intent is it Canuck ingenuity, or those damn Canucks?

According to Canadian dictionaries, Canadian use of Canuck is not offensive. For example, it's the name of a hockey team. But if it's used by non-Canadians, especially if it's referring to French Canadians, it's usually offensive.

Though Canuck is the only current spelling, earlier forms were Canuk, Conuck, Can(n)ack, Kanu(c)k, K'nuck. These spellings give us clues as to the origin of the term, though it's ultimately uncertain. One theory is that the word is from Connaught, an early French-Canadian nickname for Irish immigrants. Or Canuck could be a blend of the first syllable of Canada and the Indian noun ending -uc, -uq. Other sources say the word is from Hawaiian kanaka, meaning 'person, Hawaiian, South Sea islander', the connection being that French Canadians and these islanders were employed in the Pacific Northwest fur trade, or that the Hawaiian word was brought to New England by whalers. (Canadian French canaque originally meant 'canoeman'.) Or Canuck may be an Anglicization of an Indian word for a resident of a kanata, or 'village community.' The source is definitely not Johnny Canuck, since this cartoon character dates from 1869.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

:!:
:lol: .. you're too much... :)
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Wayfriend wrote:
The Good Doctor Lemley wrote:*shakes head miserably* It it just me, or are all of the females in the Chrons ABSOLUTELY BARKING MAD???????
Jest you. Osondrea, Gay/Rue, Amorine, Shetra, Amatin, The Healer, Hollian, Memla, the First, Heft Galewrath, Benj .... non-Barkers outnumber Barkers if you ask me.
Coincidently,
In The Gradual Interview was wrote:Anonymous: Why are all your female heroines "broken"?

Do you mean Min Donner? Koina Hannish? Sorus Chatelaine, perhaps? The First of the Search? King Joyse's wife and daughters?

From my perspective, I don't write about "broken" females, I write about "broken" people.

(12/03/2005)
Take that, THOOLAH! Whatever he's talking about, I'm sure it's Bad News for your misogynest club! :bang:

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”