Cricket

Baseball, Basketball, Footbal, Soccer, Curling, Poker, ect...

Moderators: Lord Mhoram, StevieG, hierachy

Spring
The Gap Into Spam

Cricket

Post by Spring »

Who is a follower? I certainly am, and I watched Australia smash New Zealand yesterday. :)

I know the Americans won't be, but I'm sure there are some Poms (still pissed off about the Ashes) or Aussies on here. And some Kiwi's.
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

We now have two cricket subjects, I made one. I don't watch it now, England became crap again.
DEATH IS A PREFERABLE ALTERNATIVE TO COMMUNISM!
Marv
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Marv »

the greatest sport on earth.i hope the poms out there are looking forward to getting smashed next summer(our summer).i predict a 3-0 scoreline.ponting to score a hundred in each test and vaughan to carry on his shocking form to rub salt into the wounds.
It'd take you a long time to blow up or shoot all the sheep in this country, but one diseased banana...could kill 'em all.

I didn't even know sheep ate bananas.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

too slow for me. I like the set up and the strategy, but can't bring myself to watch and antire game... :Z:
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Spring
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Spring »

I like watching One Days' better. They are faster.

Has anyone seen Gilchrist? Man that guy can bat. And he plays for Australia. :P
Marv
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Marv »

Gilly is a frickin legend.not too keen on warney-hes a great player but i met him in melbourne a couple of years ago in a club and he comes across as pretty arrogant.tests can be great depending on who we are playing i.e england, india and south africa but one dayers are brilliant all the time.being from tazzy i have to put a special mention in for Boony-52 tins of lager in 20 hours and he still walked off the plane!LEGEND!
It'd take you a long time to blow up or shoot all the sheep in this country, but one diseased banana...could kill 'em all.

Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

England have let themselves down a little bit. I thought they would be stronger after the Ashes win but it seems that the Assies are stronger after.
Marv
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Marv »

australia in danger of losing to Bangladesh!! after thrashing the proteas this is rather strange to say the least. maybe Gilly will produce some fireworks. he needs to!

Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

It seems like England are just losing. Australia have been the better side since the Ashes and England have just become bad. I bet Australia can't wait to take the Ashes back...
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

I know this is an old thread but I do like keeping an eye on cricket.The latest news is the appointment of Kevin Pietersen as the new english captain. After losing the series to South Africa I suppose it was time for Michael Vaughan to stand down and leave the control of the team to a fresher face.We shall see if he can change the fortunes of the team as they have The Ashes coming up next year and winter tours in India followed by a tour to West Indies.A south afican leading a english team do you think its a good appointment :?:
A lie well told and told often enough,I'm damned if the truth will ever catch up with it!
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

hmmm this is a risk because of his lack of experience but he could easily rise to the challenge because he is talented enough. England need to be more consistent as a team, players like Bell and Sidebottom need to be more consistent with their batting and bowling. I would have preferred Strauss as captain.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I think had Michael Vaughan been in better batting form, he would've carried on until the next Ashes series and that's no bad thing. England were very unlucky to lose the series; if not for the catch that never was and the questionable pad/glove call it could've turned out very differently.

I'm not sure about Pietersen's appointment, for me it's a bold and quite risky move by the ECB. I think KP will either thrive on it, become a slightly more conservative batsman and a very good captain, or he'll struggle, we'll lose tests and his batting will be adversely affected, which would be absolutely the worst possible outcome for England. Personally, I would've gone for Rob Key, he's proven as an excellent County captain and is good enough to bat internationally, even if he's not going to be the first name on the teamsheet. I think he could've done a job for a couple of years until Ian Bell is ready to take over. Strauss would've made a good Test captain, but as soon as they announced that they wanted the new man to take over the Test and One Day captaincies he was out of the running.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

I think the majority of the England team have been inconsistent recently with batting and bowling. I would also blame selectors for choice of team as well. KP has not proved to be a captain, he is not even captain of his county team,
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I must admit I've been surprised with Sidebottom's dip in form, you expect it from sombody young like Broad but I thought we were going to start following the Australian model of only bringing players into the Test side when they're about 28, which works very well for them and promotes consistency.

Some prior experience of captaincy would certainly be an advantage, but it's probably more important that the captain is a real thinker about the game, a good cricketing brain is a phrase that's been used a lot. Michael Vaughan never captained at county level either and he's been one of the best England captains, only his personal form let him down.
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

Im sure Sidebottom hasnt recovered from his injuries,Broad needs to develop more into a better bowler.Mind you Pietersen innings of 100 was great but was outshone by Harmy hitting 49 :biggrin:
A lie well told and told often enough,I'm damned if the truth will ever catch up with it!
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I have a bit of a soft spot for Broad as he's from my home town and I know his dad, Chris, who also played for England. I hadn't seen Stuart for a long time until a couple of years ago, it was like he went from being a child to being 6'7", so I still double take when I see him. He's a nice kid, very quiet and not someone likely to fall for the trappings of fame, quite a strong contrast to Pietersen really! I'm disappointed he moved from Leicestershire to Notts though, that's the equivalent of going from Celtic to Rangers where I'm from!
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

Broad did well in the test in the Oval didnt he :?:I m not sure if he is in the one day squad but he is definetly up and coming player and is young enough that he can develop as a better player.
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

Finally, a good decision by England. Harmison has returned to the One-day squad. That should give England some fire in bowling.
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

Queeaqueg wrote:Finally, a good decision by England. Harmison has returned to the One-day squad. That should give England some fire in bowling.
Harmison didnt do too badly today but Broad 5 for 23 against South Africa today was awesome or were South Africa very poor :?: All out for 83 and England didnt even lose a wicket. I think Peterson is lucky to have all his strike bowlers on hand at the same time Vaughan didnt have the same luck.
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

See if Broad can play like that all the time then will be better off but he will not be doing that again. Told you Harmison would deliver, best decision binging him out of retirement.

Return to “Sports”