Eggnog

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I've enjoyed a lot of the dairy products coming from a local dairy farm (Danzeisen Dairy from Phoenix, Arizona) that uses glass containers.

In my opinion, all their milk flavors (whole, reduced fat, chocolate, strawberry, coffee, and orange) are delicious.

Now that it's getting towards the holiday season (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's), this local dairy is also coming out with various flavors of eggnog (traditional, pumpkin spice, and peppermint). I find the peppermint eggnog to be very enjoyable, and I can tell it was made with real peppermint oil--sizzling while still refreshing. It's nice that I can keep recycling the bottles and getting my deposit money back, too.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Gee that is good Cordy :) what a great initiative. Cuts down on plastics usage, which is a win win in my book
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I wish my local markets did that. There are a couple of local farms that put their dairy in glass bottles, but it's difficult to find. (Not sure if it just tastes better out of glass, or if the stuff that's packaged that way tends to have a higher quality to begin with, but I prefer it.)

Don't think I've ever tried flavored eggnog - I generally only buy one quart per year and that's just the regular sort. Though if you want to try something dangerous - steam the eggnog (let it foam up a bit like you're making a latte) - add a shot or two of espresso - top with whipped cream.

I was trained as a barista in a past life, so the unfortunate part is that I know the nutritional value of that whole mess (it's negative) - but your arteries will probably forgive you if you do it once a year or so.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Whats in the eggnog?
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Sorus wrote:I wish my local markets did that. There are a couple of local farms that put their dairy in glass bottles, but it's difficult to find. (Not sure if it just tastes better out of glass, or if the stuff that's packaged that way tends to have a higher quality to begin with, but I prefer it.)
My feeling is, it's both, Sorus. I think eggnog, and liquid dairy product in general, just tastes better out of a glass bottle as opposed to a plastic container. And I suspect the product that's packaged in glass is higher quality to begin with, though I could be mistaken. That's just the way it seems to me, from my experiences so far.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Sorus wrote:Don't think I've ever tried flavored eggnog - I generally only buy one quart per year and that's just the regular sort. Though if you want to try something dangerous - steam the eggnog (let it foam up a bit like you're making a latte) - add a shot or two of espresso - top with whipped cream.

I was trained as a barista in a past life, so the unfortunate part is that I know the nutritional value of that whole mess (it's negative) - but your arteries will probably forgive you if you do it once a year or so.
Ah, thank you for the invitation, but I prefer eggnog to be cold. Trained as a barista in a past life, you say? Well...that's interesting. ;) :biggrin: I think you're quite right that your arteries will forgive you if don't make a habit of it. And drinking eggnog most certainly is not helpful for people trying to adhere to a diet, whipped cream or not. Should you wish to branch out and try flavored eggnog, Sorus, you might find the pumpkin spice eggnog easier to take than the peppermint eggnog, as it's less sharp in flavor. I've gotten to like the peppermint eggnog better, but I strongly suspect that's an acquired taste. :hearts:
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Skyweir wrote:Whats in the eggnog?
I may post some recipes in a while, Skyweir, but basically the beverage consists of egg yolks, milk, cream, sugar, and nutmeg. Some recipes call for cinnamon, and/or vanilla, and/or beaten egg whites as part of the mix. And then there's the alcohol factor. Ninety percent of the time, I like my eggnog non-alcoholic. But one can add rum, or brandy, or whisky, to the mix.

It's ironic that eggnog is now almost nonexistent in Great Britain, for it was the British that invented the drink! But it's rather common in Canada and the United States, in the months of October through January.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Re: Eggnog

Post by Cord Hurn »

The recipe for eggnog from famed cook Martha Stewart, that Menolly provided on page one of this thread, sounds rather enticing, but I'd like to add a second recipe from Stewart, this one for only six servings.

INGREDIENTS
4 cups milk
1 cup sugar
12 large egg yolks
1 cup chilled heavy cream
grated nutmeg (optional)
1/2 cup bourbon (optional)

DIRECTIONS
1. In medium saucepan, whisk milk and sugar over medium heat until sugar is dissolved, 1 to 2 minutes. In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks. Whisking constantly, pour hot mixture into yolks in a slow and steady stream.

2. Return mixture to pan; cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until thick enough to coat back of spoon, 20 to 25 minutes; do not let simmer. Quickly strain into a bowl. Stir in cream. Stir in bourbon, if desired. Cool completely; cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate until chilled. Garnish with nutmeg, if desired.

[Edited to correct a few spelling errors.]
Last edited by Cord Hurn on Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I just came across this receipt for eggnog.

https://www.gnom-gnom.com/low-carb-keto ... =t(Eggnog)

Although, since it uses artificial sweeteners, I'll call "foul" on it being paleo. But, it fits my keto woe.
Huzzah!
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Menolly wrote:I just came across this receipt for eggnog.

https://www.gnom-gnom.com/low-carb-keto ... =t(Eggnog)

Although, since it uses artificial sweeteners, I'll call "foul" on it being paleo. But, it fits my keto woe.
Huzzah!
Sounds pretty good, Menolly, and it's nice that it keeps in the fridge for 3 to 4 days, as well.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I've never tried making it from scratch. Should do that one of these days.

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Sorus wrote:I've never tried making it from scratch. Should do that one of these days.

It can be fun, Sorus! But, because some parts of the egg yolk material inevitably solidify instead of dissolve when hit with the hot liquid mixture, having a strainer on hand is a must.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I haven't tried to make this particular non-alcoholic eggnog yet, but I note that it's one of the higher-rated eggnog recipes on the internet. I find it kind of unusual in that it doesn't direct you to separate the egg yolks from the egg whites, and that salt is one of the ingredients. An Ohio woman named Pat Waymire submitted it, and credited its creation to her mother. This recipe makes 12 servings.

INGREDIENTS
12 large eggs
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups heavy whipping cream
8 cups whole milk, divided in half
Additional nutmeg, optional

DIRECTIONS
1. In a heavy saucepan, whisk together eggs, sugar, and salt. Gradually add 4 cups milk; cook and stir over low heat about 30 to 35 minutes. Do not allow to boil. Immediately transfer to a large bowl.

2.Stir in vanilla, nutmeg, and remaining milk. Place bowl in an ice-water bath, stirring until milk mixture is cool. (If mixture separates, process in a blender until smooth.) Refrigerate, covered, until cold, at least 3 hours.

3. To serve, beat cream until soft peaks form. Whisk gently into cooled milk mixture. If desired, sprinkle with additional nutmeg before serving.

"Taste of Home" Editor's note: Eggnog may be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for several days. Whisk before serving.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/homemade-eggnog/
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Cord Hurn wrote:
I may post some recipes in a while, Skyweir, but basically the beverage consists of egg yolks, milk, cream, sugar, and nutmeg. Some recipes call for cinnamon, and/or vanilla, and/or beaten egg whites as part of the mix. And then there's the alcohol factor. Ninety percent of the time, I like my eggnog non-alcoholic. But one can add rum, or brandy, or whisky, to the mix.

It's ironic that eggnog is now almost nonexistent in Great Britain, for it was the British that invented the drink! But it's rather common in Canada and the United States, in the months of October through January.
The Brits still do eggnog Cord .. but theyre not a mass production line culture. Most families, make their own ... and rum toddies. πŸ˜‰
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

That looks like a good recipe, though I'd probably have to scale it down a bit as I can't see myself ever needing 12 servings.

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

This eggnog recipe is for 4 servings, and is credited to Texas resident Jessie Van Slyke.

Pumpkin Spice Eggnog

INGREDIENTS
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
2 cups milk (2% or whole)
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

DIRECTIONS
1. Pour egg yolks into the bowl of a stand mixer and mix on medium speed.

2. Add sugar slowly and continue mixing until just combined.

3. Adjust mixer speed to low and add in pumpkin, milk, cream, vanilla, nutmeg, and pumpkin pie spice.

4. Pour into a pitcher and chill before serving.

https://www.kitschencat.com/pumpkin-spice-eggnog/
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Confession time. I've never had pumpkin spice. I avoided it because I don't care for pumpkin. Then I found out that it didn't actually involve pumpkins, just cinnamon and nutmeg and whatnot - which I'm okay with. But now I'm confused again because that recipe includes actual pumpkin. Minus the pumpkin, it sounds good. I know this is a bad time of year to confess to being anti-pumpkin.

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

There is neither a good time nor a bad time for "confessions" and or whatnots πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

It is what it is .. just remove the pumpkin which wouldnt add much either way in terms of flavour.

I however love pumpkins but not a big fan of American pumpkin pie πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ It may well be that Ive just never had a good one. πŸ˜‰

And I am definitely going to give that eggnog a good hard crack .. I might well end up with the opinion it is enhanced by the omission of the pumpkin pulp πŸ˜›
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Skyweir wrote:
Cord Hurn wrote:

The Brits still do eggnog Cord .. but theyre not a mass production line culture. Most families, make their own ... and rum toddies. πŸ˜‰
I stand corrected, Skyweir! I should have said I've heard from several sources that it was hard to find in stores compared with the situation in Canada and the U.S. I find it interesting that on the first page of this thread we can read that CovenantJr (from Wales) and Nathan (from England) had never seen it or tried it. The family tradition on making eggnog must be nonexistent for some (many?) people there.

Rum toddies sound good, now that you mention it. :)
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Sorus wrote:That looks like a good recipe, though I'd probably have to scale it down a bit as I can't see myself ever needing 12 servings.
Certainly it can be scaled down and still be good. Here's that same recipe for homemade eggnog submitted by Pat Waymire for Taste of Home, but with all the ingredients halved:

INGREDIENTS
6 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup heavy whipping cream
4 cups whole milk, divided in half
Additional nutmeg, optional

DIRECTIONS
1. In a heavy saucepan, whisk together eggs, sugar, and salt. Gradually add 2 cups milk; cook and stir over low heat about 30 to 35 minutes. Do not allow to boil. Immediately transfer to a large bowl.

2. Stir in vanilla, nutmeg, and remaining milk. Place bowl in an ice-water bath, stirring until milk mixture is cool. (If mixture separates, process in a blender until smooth.) Refrigerate, covered, until cold, at least 3 hours.

3. To serve, beat cream until soft peaks form. Whisk gently into cooled milk mixture. If desired, sprinkle with additional nutmeg before serving.

"Taste of Home" Editor's note: Eggnog may be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for several days. Whisk before serving.

Makes six servings.

Return to β€œThe Galley”