Eggnog

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Cord, when I give the recipe a try, I'll probably use cashew milk instead of almond, and powdered allulose for the sweetener, to attempt to avoid crystallization as the nutmeg cools. I'll also add the alcohol when serving, rather than combining it prior to chilling.

Another adaptation I may make is from the Martha Stewart recipe, where I'll whip the egg whites with some sweetener and vanilla, and dollop them on top at service, as I am a fan of the frothiness. But, it's good to know the base recipe works well.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Eggnog

Post by Cord Hurn »

Menolly wrote:Cord, when I give the recipe a try, I'll probably use cashew milk instead of almond, and powdered allulose for the sweetener, to attempt to avoid crystallization as the nutmeg cools. I'll also add the alcohol when serving, rather than combining it prior to chilling.

Another adaptation I may make is from the Martha Stewart recipe, where I'll whip the egg whites with some sweetener and vanilla, and dollop them on top at service, as I am a fan of the frothiness. But, it's good to know the base recipe works well.
I tried the keto/paleo eggnog recipe without the alcohol at first, then when I had about one glass left of it, I mixed in a shot of bourbon. To my surprise, the flavor of the bourbon seemed absorbed by the flavors of the coconut milk, the nutmeg, the cinnamon, and the almond milk. No kidding' couldn't taste the alcohol at all.

As for the Martha Stewart eggnog recipe that you posted on this tread's first page, I just made it again this weekend, but minus the alcohol. It has a pleasant flavor, but its still the enjoyable texture of all that froth that I like best about it!
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Eggnog

Post by Cord Hurn »

Cord Hurn wrote:Peppermint Eggnog

INGREDIENTS
6 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons more sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
4 cups whole milk
12 peppermint candy canes, broken into pieces
3 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
peppermint sticks added for garnish

DIRECTIONS
1. Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Whisk together eggs, egg yolks, sugar, salt, and the extracts in a large saucepan over medium-low heat until combined. Pour in milk in a slow, steady stream, whisking until fully incorporated. Raise heat to medium. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 30 to 35 minutes.

2. Pour milk mixture through a fine sieve into a medium bowl. Set bowl in ice-water bath; let mixture cool completely. Transfer this resulting custard to an airtight container, and refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to overnight.

3. Process candy canes in a food processor until finely crushed. Sift in a strainer to discard dust. Transfer to a shallow dish.

4. Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Let cool 5 minutes. Dip rim of each cup to be used for serving eggnog into the melted chocolate, then into the crushed peppermint. Refrigerate until set, about 5 minutes.

5. Remove custard from refrigerator; set aside. Put cream into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment; mix on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into cold custard until combined. Fill cups with eggnog. Sprinkle with crushed peppermint candy cane material, and garnish with peppermint sticks; serve.

A rather labor-intensive recipe, once again from Martha Stewart. But it certainly sounds to be gourmet-level delicious. Makes 5 servings.
Well, I made this on Wednesday to have as a beverage for my family's Thanksgiving dinner. I had high hopes for this particular eggnog.

But, it was disappointing. The white chocolate and ground-up peppermint candy cane on the glass rims tasted good, but the eggnog custard within the glasses was bland-tasting and mealy in texture. Really dull to taste. Maybe the peppermint extract amount should be increased to one full tablespoon, and the peppermint and vanilla extracts not added in until the eggnog custard has been cooled. i don't know exactly what the problem was, but this eggnog looked better than it tasted. :cry:
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Eggnog

Post by Cord Hurn »

A better recipe for peppermint eggnog that I have tried, and will make again for New Year's Eve, adapted from the recipe by Pat Waymire's mother for Taste of Home that I posted on page 3 of this thread:

Peppermint Eggnog

INGREDIENTS
6 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon peppermint extract
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup heavy whipping cream
4 cups whole milk, divided in half
Additional nutmeg, optional

DIRECTIONS
1. In a heavy saucepan, whisk together eggs, sugar, and salt. Gradually add 2 cups milk; cook and stir over low heat about 30 to 35 minutes. Do not allow to boil. Immediately transfer to a large bowl.

2. Stir in vanilla extract, peppermint extract, nutmeg, and remaining milk. Place bowl in an ice-water bath, stirring until milk mixture is cool. (If mixture separates, process in a blender until smooth.) Refrigerate covered, until cold, at least 3 hours.

3. To serve, beat cream until soft peaks form. Whisk gently into cooled milk mixture. If desired, sprinkle with additional nutmeg before serving.

Makes 6 servings.

This one works for me! Looking forward to making it again! :7up:
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

hmm...

I think I would leave out the peppermint. Do you think this would work with a double dose of vanilla? I might sub almond for the whole milk and a keto friendly sweetener to try to keto-fy it.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Eggnog

Post by Cord Hurn »

Menolly wrote:hmm...

I think I would leave out the peppermint. Do you think this would work with a double dose of vanilla? I might sub almond for the whole milk and a keto friendly sweetener to try to keto-fy it.
I think a double-dose of vanilla would work out all right, Menolly. (Maybe add a 1/4 cup more of cream to the whip-up part of the mix to balance out the extra vanilla.) I made that eggnog (minus the whipped cream) this morning and refrigerated it. Now, I'm going to do the cream and fold it in, and start enjoying! :P

Happy New Year!

:yeehaa: :yeehaa: :yeehaa: :yeehaa: :yeehaa: :yeehaa: :yeehaa: :yeehaa: :yeehaa:
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Cord Hurn wrote:I haven't tried to make this particular non-alcoholic eggnog yet, but I note that it's one of the higher-rated eggnog recipes on the internet. I find it kind of unusual in that it doesn't direct you to separate the egg yolks from the egg whites, and that salt is one of the ingredients. An Ohio woman named Pat Waymire submitted it, and credited its creation to her mother. This recipe makes 12 servings.

INGREDIENTS
12 large eggs
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups heavy whipping cream
8 cups whole milk, divided in half
Additional nutmeg, optional

DIRECTIONS
1. In a heavy saucepan, whisk together eggs, sugar, and salt. Gradually add 4 cups milk; cook and stir over low heat about 30 to 35 minutes. Do not allow to boil. Immediately transfer to a large bowl.

2.Stir in vanilla, nutmeg, and remaining milk. Place bowl in an ice-water bath, stirring until milk mixture is cool. (If mixture separates, process in a blender until smooth.) Refrigerate, covered, until cold, at least 3 hours.

3. To serve, beat cream until soft peaks form. Whisk gently into cooled milk mixture. If desired, sprinkle with additional nutmeg before serving.

"Taste of Home" Editor's note: Eggnog may be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for several days. Whisk before serving.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/homemade-eggnog/
I tried this one again for Thanksgiving but forgot that I hated the grainy texture of the eggnog solution.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Re: Eggnog

Post by Cord Hurn »

Cord Hurn wrote:
Fist and Faith wrote:Spoon Up Eggnog is awesome.
Whip up a pint of heavy cream.
Whip up four egg whites.
Mix the egg yolks with sugar (I'd start with, what, 1/8 cup?) and whatever. I don't like alcohol, so I like imitation rum extract (start with 2 teaspoons).
Fold it all together. You have to taste it and see if you need more sugar or extract. (No idea how much rum you would start with, since I don't like it.)

If you use vanilla extract instead of rum, you have the best whipped cream ever to use on your desserts.
Thanks, Fist: I made this tonight and love the texture of the resulting drink! It has avoided the whipped parts with the heavier parts separating, and I'm guessing that's because of the absence of milk in this eggnog. I've refrigerated the rest, and look forward to drinking more tomorrow!

My variation on your recipe was in using the following ingredients:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons Myers's Jamaican dark rum

Delicious!!!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
I tried this eggnog recipe again tonight, except I reduced the sugar to 1/3 cup. No noticeable drop in satisfaction level; still tastes good! :P

Return to “The Galley”