King Kong reviews coming in

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

wayfriend

King Kong reviews coming in

Post by wayfriend »

» [url=www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=21962][u][b]AICN[/b][/u][/url] wrote:Freud says in Civilization and It’s Discontents that sublimation through art is great, but nothing beats taking a rock and smashing in the skull of your enemy. That’s the baseboard position we have as animals. KING KONG portrays for us the primitive strengths that decide victors and losers. How good it feels to crush your enemies and hear the lamentations of their women.

And above all, what beauty is, what it means to us, and how it rescues us from the deadly killing animal inside us.

And, in this version of KING KONG, how, when someone recognizes the beauty in you, it makes you beautiful—and makes you alive.

Kong is big because when life is surrounded by hate and savagery it has to get big to protect itself. But that protection doesn’t kill the living soul within, it only buries it. It’s always there waiting to be dug out and renewed, as it is in Kong.
» [url=www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=21947][u][b]AICN[/b][/u][/url] wrote:If there is one thing this film should teach all of us is that there is no filmmaker alive better than Peter Jackson at giving us jaw-dropping moments. Not Lucas, not even Spielberg. The world he brings to life in this 3-hour epic labor of love is a true marvel.

You can have the best CGI in the world, you can have the best animation in the world but if you do not have characters we empathize with or more importantly care about it doesn't matter. Its the difference between Chicken Little and The Incredibles. Godzilla and King Kong. You will care about Kong, no doubt in my mind. you will care about Jack and you will care about Ann. Denham you may want to kill or you may feel sorry for his desperate pathetic soul.
» [url=entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,14936-1904842,00.html][u][b]The London Times[/b][/u][/url] wrote:That Jackson’s King Kong upgrades the now hammy original with wit, heart and humour is a pleasant surprise. That it does so by reinventing the action blockbuster, in form and emotional impact, is nothing less than an act of cinematic alchemy.
Last edited by wayfriend on Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

It sounds very promising! :R :R :R

Thank you!
Love as thou wilt.

Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

I Can't wait to see this. Looks ace.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I film I wish to see with growing anticipation. Likely to be memorable event worth the wait. :-)
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

King Kong returns to New York

On 'King Kong Day,' ape makes appearance in Times Square

» CNN
» AintItCool
This is EXACTLY why I love Peter Jackson. Because the movie is over. It's in a can, sitting waiting to be shown, but the show isn't. ... LOOK AT THESE PICS! That's a ----ing 4 story high 1:1 KING KONG sitting in the middle of ----ing New York!
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

heh, I can't wait to see this film. Though I'll admit, i haven't actually seen the original, so I can't compare; but that's probably a good thing. it means I can't compare them.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I've seen the original, Son of Kong, KK '75, the sequal to KK '75, and KK vs. Godzilla. I'm thinking you won't need to see any of them to appreciate this one.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

And both Mighty Joe Youngs. It's all good! :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

Kong was at 100% on the Tomatoe meter,it is now at 95% with more reviews coming in,that is even better than the Spiderman 2 critics avarage.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

King Kong has never interested me, for some reason. But this is Jackson, and I have been a big fan of him since Braindead. The reviews are looking good, too. Sounds like I might go!
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Here's an interesting gossip article about George Lucas attending the premiere of King Kong last week: www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,177785,00.html

He predicts King Kong will rake in $150 million in its opening weekend.

(And I'm glad Lucas is finally working on Indiana Jones 4. Yay!!)

When I first heard that Jackson was going to do King Kong, I thought he was setting himself up for a big fall. It was the same kind of pessimistic thinking I had about James Cameron's Titanic: big name director takes on more than he can chew, falls flat on face. But as with Cameron, it looks like Jackson's big gamble has paid off. Guess I'll have to see this thing after all! :)
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

If you want to read a very funny LOL-type review of Kong:

» The Very First KING KONG Review... That Is Written By Vern!! (strong language)

Excerpt:
By the way, this is how you know Kong is a bad mother####. He lives on an island populated by all kinds of dinosaurs, giant bugs, bats, and who knows what other crazy #### that we didn't even see. [...] What I'm getting at is, when a beautiful blond gal washes up on shore, who do the natives try to sacrifice her to? No, not the t-rex. Not the giant bats. They give this chick to Kong. And beautiful blond chicks are not easy to come by in this part of the world. When they snag one they're not gonna waste it. So they give it to the official baddest mother#### on Skull Island, which would be Kong, thank you very much.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Totally off topic, but I can't believe how much weight Jackson has lost. Kind of spooky, but I'm glad he's looking out for his health! I know he had no time for such a thing during LOTR's making, to be sure!
SPKx
Stonedownor

Post by SPKx »

I saw it today.

I can definitely say that it was a great movie.

Kong is very sympathetic in this film and during the climax I found myself rooting for him (bravo to Andy Serkis' motion capture).

So yeah, it was good.
Sean Patrick Kelly
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I also saw it. Alas, I'm not remotely as enthusiastic as SPK. I won't say what I didn't like yet, since I don't want people to be thinking about that when watching. Another time.

Although I agree that Kong was sympathetic. As he ever is.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Worm of Despite
Lord

Am I a sadist if I want Kong to die, much in the same vein that I was just waiting for the Titanic to sink in Cameron's crawl-fest? Group hugs and therapy are welcome.
Marv
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Marv »

WOW!!

i cant believe anyone would not love this film!! King kong fighting 3 t-rex's people!!! it may not be the most sophisticated or mentally stimulating film ever but its pushed the boundries of my expectations.the GREATEST action film ever!!!
It'd take you a long time to blow up or shoot all the sheep in this country, but one diseased banana...could kill 'em all.

I didn't even know sheep ate bananas.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Fist and Faith wrote:I also saw it. Alas, I'm not remotely as enthusiastic as SPK. I won't say what I didn't like yet, since I don't want people to be thinking about that when watching. Another time.

Although I agree that Kong was sympathetic. As he ever is.
I'm afraid I'm not that enthusiastic about the film either. It's okay, but I wouldn't call it great. I have no idea what part Fist didn't like, though. Come on, man, spill it! Enquiring minds want to know! :wink:

Earlier I was comparing Jackson's King Kong to Cameron's Titanic in terms of the big gamble both productions represented for their respective filmmakers, both artistically and financially. Well, if I can keep this comparison going, it's clear to me that Titanic was the bigger risk for the reputation of its director. But whereas Titanic ultimately succeeded as big screen entertainment, I don't think King Kong does.

Say what you will about the ingratiating aspects of Cameron's opus, but I felt Titanic was masterfully crafted - all 3-plus hours of it. Cameron had a firm grasp on the flow of the story as he guided his movie inexorably towards its climax. But I didn't feel a firm sense of momentum in King Kong sweeping me along. Rather, it was stop-and-go. I did not feel fully involved with the story or characters. When we get to the Empire State Building, what should have been a moving and tragic denouement to the whole film seemed a bit too perfunctory to me. I could see that Jackson was striving to depict the immense sadness and regret between Kong and Ann Darrow -- and yes, some of that did shine through -- but the tragedy of their relationship did not hit me in the gut as it should have.

The big ape himself I have nothing but praise for: I guess it's a no-brainer to say that this is the best-realized Kong ever put on film. Bravo to Andy Serkis and all the CG artists! It's been a long time since I saw the 1976 version, so I don't recall how believable Kong was in that, but surely Serkis's Kong now rules as the definitive incarnation.

The other relationship in the film, between Naomi Watts (Ann Darrow) and Adrien Brody (Jack Driscoll), works well enough. Their romance is certainly far less irritating than, say, the one between pin-ups Winslet and diCaprio in Titanic. But this got me thinking about the whole notion of love stories: just how do you properly film an epic love story for the big screen without it turning into cinematic mush? I thought Jackson actually did a fairly decent job with Arwen and Aragorn in LOTR, though their romance was at a tangent to the plot. For a really moving love story writ large for the silver screen, I would vote David Lean's Dr. Zhivago. From beginning to end, it's one beautiful and classy movie. And I'm slipping off topic...

Maybe some of my disappointment with Jackson's Kong stems from his faithfulness to the original film and its time period, the 1930's. Nothing wrong with being faithful to the source, of course (and Jackson does revere the original, saying it was the movie that inspired him to be a filmmaker.) Yes, maybe 1930's America has the air of a more romantic era that befits the King Kong mythos, and I guess a period movie is just plain cool to many. But I would have preferred a modern twist on the tale. Look at how brilliantly Spielberg updated The War of the Worlds. In terms of dinosaur/monster movies, another Spielberg film is even more relevant to this discussion: Jurassic Park. In Jackson's depiction of a prehistoric world, KK has its moments. However, I think that in his striving for a hyper-gritty realism, Jackson misses the kind of true wonder and sense of awe that Spielberg achieved in Jurassic Park. Spielberg draws you into his world, while Jackson clubs you on your head before you can enjoy any beauty. I think Jackson was also guilty of bludgeoning the audience -- or me, anyway -- to death in the LOTR films following The Fellowship: too much brutal, grimy "realism" with not enough wondrous magic to counterbalance it.

Also, in this post-Jurassic Park age where the audience -- i.e. a filmgoer like me -- now expects some degree of scientific inquiry to go along with the murder and the mayhem, Jackson's reversion to the simple "catch big ape and bring to big city" story just doesn't cut it for me anymore. Spielberg seriously spoiled me with Jurassic Park and all the modern DNA science (I concede it's more "sci-fi" than real science). So from my perspective, Jackson's Kong is, unfortunately, a static work frozen in an anachronistic setting. I would like to have learned about Kong's origins or at least have some sense of his background, for example. As it is, I came out of Jackson's King Kong with no revelations about either the beast or the beauty.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Well, I guess people have had time to see it by now. Here's what I told Claire when she pm'd me about my disappointments.

Since we're talking about a movie about a giant gorilla, I know it's kind of an odd thing to say, but it was way too unbelievable for me. I can suspend my disbelief only so far.
-The ship is slammed into rock after rock. But not only does it not sink within minutes, it still sails back across the ocean.
-They run among the legs of giant dinosaurs, even carrying his video equipment, and darned few of them get stepped on.
-Kong whips her around all over the place; throwing and catching her while fighting the T-Rexes; traveling on all fours while holding her in one hand; and she even gets thrown more than several feet to the ground - and she not only lives and is not crippled, but she doesn't have a single broken bone, any neck or back pain, or even a bruise.
-When Kong and the T-Rexes fell into the crevice, landing on the vines, the fight should have ended within seconds. That's Kong's element for god's sake! He's a damned gorilla! He should have been able to swing around in all that like... well, like a damned gorilla! Going from one nearly-immobile Rex to the other, bashing their heads in with no effort at all.
-I guess Kong chasing the guy in the cab through the streets was the least of my complaints, but it was still pretty dumb. I think he would have caught it pretty quickly.

Not as in-depth as MM's review. :lol: But I was too disappointed with the overwhelming silliness of it to even notice those aspects. Yeah, I love Star Wars and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and they certainly break with reality. But they're about fantasy (maybe? heh) aspects of reality that we aren't aware of. Kong, otoh, is simply supposed to be a huge gorilla in the reality that we know, and I prefer the rules of this reality be followed to a much greater degree than they did in Kong.

And, btw, I love Titanic! :D
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Very interesting, Fist. :) I found King Kong to be emotionally unsatisfying, while you found its technical aspects illogical. I've noticed that most of my complaints about things seem to focus on emotive failings, while you have a sharp eye for technical flaws -- and I do agree with your beefs about KK. On some level the improbable resilience of the ship amid the rocks bothered me too, not to mention the unbelievable resilience of the hapless Ann Darrow as she's being whipped around by Kong, as you say. But I guess I was fixed on the emotional interaction between Darrow and Kong rather than the physical impossibility of what was going on.

Heh, I do remember discussing the physics-defying stuff in Crouching Tiger, Star Wars and The Matrix. Yes, I easily accepted the crazy wire stunts in The Matrix, but I had a problem with the same thing being done in Crouching Tiger. With the Matrix, I could accept all kinds of lunacy happening because the "reality" that world expressed was an illusion after all. I had a harder time accepting the gravity-defying stuff in Crouching Tiger because that film seemed to take place in the "real" world, or so I had thought. Actually, I've gotten over that now, and realized that Crouching Tiger was never meant to be an accurate depiction of the real world, but instead a fantastical construct like any other make-believe world. Maybe not quite the elaborate conceit that the Matrix is, but still quite clever.

All this says something about how we differ in the way we see things around us, eh, Fist? :) But what a movie review team we'd make! Move over, Ebert & Roeper! (Though they are pretty good, I have to say.) :P

Return to “Flicks”