Why didn't Covenant forsee the failure of the one tree quest

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

When TC goes into Andelain and meets his dead, I got the impression that Lord Morham kind of sends TC on the quest for the One Tree and tells him that in the end, he will need to return to the Land. TC returns to the Land because (and forgive me because I cannot find my copy of TOT to look up my info) he realizes that to beat LF he must surrender himself just like Ceer(?) did with the Guardian of the One Tree. Ceer(?) let himself fall to the Guardian so that HE could BECOME the Guardian. TC says in WGW after he has died and is a spectre talking to Linden that he didn't really know-or understand- what he had to do until the battle with the Guardian of the One Tree. Somewhere in the 1st chron, Morham tells TC that knowledge given is useless whereas knowledge learned is priceless. Therefore, it would stand to reason that Morham sent TC on the quest for the One Tree to LEARN the knowledge - how to defeat (for lack of a better word) LF.
The King has one more move.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

'twas Brinn who battled the Guardian of the One Tree .. known to the Haruchai as Ak-Haru Kenaustin Ardenol ..

I dont recall Mhoram actually sending TC on the quest of the One Tree .. but cetainly planting the suggestion squarely in his mind. I think you are right .. TC had to go on the quest for the OT to LEARN how to defeat LF .. and the evil that threatened to overcome all the earth .. to learn in the most effective manner .. via experience.

And it served him well to enter a journey of discovery than just to be delivered all on a silver platter ..
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

Skyweir wrote:'twas Brinn who battled the Guardian of the One Tree .. known to the Haruchai as Ak-Haru Kenaustin Ardenol ..

I dont recall Mhoram actually sending TC on the quest of the One Tree .. but cetainly planting the suggestion squarely in his mind. I think you are right .. TC had to go on the quest for the OT to LEARN how to defeat LF .. and the evil that threatened to overcome all the earth .. to learn in the most effective manner .. via experience.

And it served him well to enter a journey of discovery than just to be delivered all on a silver platter ..
actually Ak-Haru told me a different story (the guy lives across the street here on Alpha Centauri), but he is an @sshole, everybody here knows that; he says he hurled himself deliberately from that cliff to take Brinn down with him, and they made an agreement down there where noone could see them: Ak-Haru gave Brinn the position, Brinn gave him royalties...; now nobody believes him, of course... it's just a lousy cover story to account for his millions. he even cheats in 3D space chess! and even so I always beat him. bah
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

hahaha .. :lol: .. is that right? well now the truth has been so eloquently exposed .. I stand corrected in view of this recent information

mmm ... those not so incorruptible Haruchai ... they'd never make good bloodguards :P

:wink:
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

well, I wouldn't be surprised if old senile Ak-Haru was actually a shareholder in Foul & Co... he is capable of anything just to upold his image, and _that_ costs money, ya'know
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

How do you know Mhoram didnt send TC on the Quest for the One Tree? His Dead didnt actually specify anything, but that is what they were talking about. I also think that Covenant "giving" the Despiser his ring was their idea. They really guided him through the Second Chronicles, but he did many things himself. And the Dead knew Linden would redeem the Land, Elena cryptically said that.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”