Bowie? Too cool for a Vespers thread?

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

danlo
Lord

Bowie? Too cool for a Vespers thread?

Post by danlo »

Lyrics to Word On A Wing

Artist: DAVID BOWIE

In this age of grand illusion
You walked into my life
out of my dreams
I don't need another change
Still you forced away
into my scheme of things
You say we're growing,
growing heart and soul
You walked into my life
out of my dreams
Sweet name, you're born once again for me
Oh sweet name, I call you again
You're born once again for me
Just because I believe don't mean I don't think as well
Don't have to question everything
in heaven or hell
[CHORUS]
Lord, I kneel and offer you
my word on a wing
And I'm trying hard to fit
among your scheme of things
It's safer than a strange land
But I still care for myself
And I don't stand in my own light
Lord, lord, my prayer flies
like a word on a wing
My prayer flies
like a word on a wing
Does my prayer fit in
with your scheme of things?
You walked into my life
out of my dreams
Just as long as I can see, I'll never stop this vision flowing
I look twice and you're still flowing
Just as long as I can walk
I'll walk beside you, I'm alive in you
And I'm ready to shape the scheme of things
Ooh, ready to shape
the scheme of things
[5 times]
[CHORUS]
Last edited by danlo on Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

A personal favorite, tied with Space Oddity:
The Man Who Sold the World

We passed upon the stairs, we spoke of was and when
Although I wasn't there, he said I was his friend
Which came as a surprise I spoke into his eyes
I thought you died alone, a long long time ago

Oh no, not me
I never lost control
To face the face
Of The Man Who Sold the World

I laughed and shook his hand, and made my way back home
I searched a foreign land, for years and years I roamed
I gazed a gazely stare, we walked a million hills
we must have died alone, a long long time ago

Who knows? not me
we never lost control
You're face to face
With the Man Who Sold the World

Who knows? not me
we never lost control
You're face to face
With the Man Who Sold the World

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Oh my love, Janine
I'm helpless for your smile
Like a Polish wanderer
I travel ever onwards to your land
And were it not just for the jewels, I'd close your hand

Your strange demand
To 'collocate' my mind
Scares me into gloom
You're too intense
I'll have to keep you in your place
I've no defense
I've got to keep my veil on my face

Janine, Janine, you'd like to know me well
But I've got things inside my head
That even I can't face

Janine, Janine, you'd like to crash
my walls
But if you take an axe to me
You'll kill another man
Not me at all

You're fey, Janine
A tripper to the last
But if I catch you standing on my toes
I'll have a right to shout you down
For you're a lazy stream
In which my thoughts would drown

So stay, Janine
And we can glide along
I've caught your wings for laughs
I'm not obliged to read you statements of the year
So take your glasses off
And don't act so sincere

Janine, Janine, you'd like to know me well
But I've got things inside my head
That even I can't face

Janine, Janine, you'd like to crash
my walls
But if you take an axe to me
You'll kill another man
Not me at all
Last edited by danlo on Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I absolutely love the scene in A Knight's Tale (which, for those who need to be flogged because they haven't seen it, is set in medieval times) when they're all dancing, and the music turns into Golden Years. Very cool!

Also, as I mentioned in another thread, he was on Dick Cavett, and did a great performance of Young American!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

yes...... Bowie is THE coolest man in rock. I once saw an hour long interview with him on MuchMusic and was blown away by his candidness, intelligence, self-awareness, and humour. He is my rock deity. And his album 'Outside' remains one of my favourites of ALL TIME.
:Hail:
He is a master of placing fantastic vocal tones and movements over (ordinarily) incompatible music. His voice rarely follows the exact notes of the music being played ... it finds its own place on top of and in between the notes.
great stuff.
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

"This isn't rock and roll! This is genocide!"

Diamond Dogs is in my top 5 albums of all time. I also have: Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, Station to Station, and Low. I really wanna get Scary Monsters.

Along with Stevie Wonder, I think David Bowie had the most consistent output of the 70s. One masterpiece after another.
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Bowie, to me, is one of those guys that put out twice as many songs as he should have. There's some really, really good stuff, but a lot of it is just dreck.

That being said, I saw him with Peter Frampton on the Glass Spider Tour in 1986(?) and it was a fantastic show. A bit over the top with the theatrics, but a solid rock 'n roll show.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

It's 1983 and I'm just starting junior high. I'm also a TV junkie who is excited by the '80s music video revolution symbolized by MTV. But I don't have access to MTV: instead, every Friday night I faithfully tune into a popular NBC show at the time called--oddly enough--Friday Night Videos, that showcases all the latest and hottest music videos. You can even phone in and vote for your favorites. ZZ Top, Duran Duran, The Police, Michael Jackson...great pioneering videos by all of them...

...and among them, an arresting song with an arresting video that begins with the fragments of a shattered radio coalescing back into a whole in reverse time, before switching focus to an iconic blonde singer. The song is Let's Dance, and it's my introduction to David Bowie. Modern Love and China Girl (with its controversial video of a naked Bowie entwined with a naked oriental girl) also become instant favorites.

Bowie and Let's Dance are forever linked to my memory of junior high in that magical year of '83. Magical because it was also the year that I discovered the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -- but that's another story.

Since that time, Let's Dance has become one of my all-time favorite albums. I've listened to some of Bowie's '70s work, but they mean nothing to me emotionally. I'll always remember Bowie as one of the rockers who made the '80s fun and exciting -- much to the horror of those who despise the '80s, I'm sure. But I also see him today as an artist who is always on the cutting edge of both music and fashion. If I recall correctly, Bowie was one of the first--if not the first--big name musicians to offer his albums as downloadable entities through his own website. Always innovative and open-minded about ch-ch-ch-changes. :wink: That's cool.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

got post Matrixman. My memory of Let's Dance in high school was a weird one. I liked his music, very catchy I told myself, but was absolutely jealous of the man becasue the girl I was madly in love with had all her attention on posters of David Bowie and Tim Curry (from Rocky Horror).. :lol:
yah, I was an idiot.
But you aer right, 'Let's Dance' is a gerat album, and quite subversive too. Listen to those lyrics... these are not your regular pop-star songs...
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Oddly enough I have a TC/Bowie story too. (sorry if you've heard this before) In the late summer of '79, when I began LFB for the first time, my friend Mike and I were in "altered states" flying around the fields in front of my parent's house. I had run both of my dad's huge Jensen speakers out to the porches on either side of the living room--we were utterly amazed at the sound of Bowie's Diamond Dogs bouncing off the other side of the valley wall at a zillion decibels--It was quadrophonic man! 8O

Until I got that dreaded phonecall from the farmer I used to work for, who lived a mile away, "Cut that horsesh*t off right now, ya spoiled little rich punk! It's not like they can't hear you in Trenton!!!" :oops:
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

:lol:
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Matrixman wrote:It's 1983 and I'm just starting junior high. I'm also a TV junkie who is excited by the '80s music video revolution symbolized by MTV. But I don't have access to MTV: instead, every Friday night I faithfully tune into a popular NBC show at the time called--oddly enough--Friday Night Videos, that showcases all the latest and hottest music videos. You can even phone in and vote for your favorites. ZZ Top, Duran Duran, The Police, Michael Jackson...great pioneering videos by all of them...

...and among them, an arresting song with an arresting video that begins with the fragments of a shattered radio coalescing back into a whole in reverse time, before switching focus to an iconic blonde singer. The song is Let's Dance, and it's my introduction to David Bowie. Modern Love and China Girl (with its controversial video of a naked Bowie entwined with a naked oriental girl) also become instant favorites.

Bowie and Let's Dance are forever linked to my memory of junior high in that magical year of '83. Magical because it was also the year that I discovered the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -- but that's another story.

Since that time, Let's Dance has become one of my all-time favorite albums. I've listened to some of Bowie's '70s work, but they mean nothing to me emotionally. I'll always remember Bowie as one of the rockers who made the '80s fun and exciting -- much to the horror of those who despise the '80s, I'm sure. But I also see him today as an artist who is always on the cutting edge of both music and fashion. If I recall correctly, Bowie was one of the first--if not the first--big name musicians to offer his albums as downloadable entities through his own website. Always innovative and open-minded about ch-ch-ch-changes. :wink: That's cool.
I echo many of the things said so eloquently by MM. In '83 I was starting high school, and just as fascinated by MTV - but in the mountains of East Tennessee, I was limited to Friday Night Videos as well. My only knowledge of Bowie prior to Let's Dance was a 45 that one of my older siblings had of Space Oddity.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Bowie is a god.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

dlbpharmd wrote:
Matrixman wrote:It's 1983 and I'm just starting junior high. I'm also a TV junkie who is excited by the '80s music video revolution symbolized by MTV. But I don't have access to MTV: instead, every Friday night I faithfully tune into a popular NBC show at the time called--oddly enough--Friday Night Videos, that showcases all the latest and hottest music videos. You can even phone in and vote for your favorites. ZZ Top, Duran Duran, The Police, Michael Jackson...great pioneering videos by all of them...

I echo many of the things said so eloquently by MM. In '83 I was starting high school, and just as fascinated by MTV - but in the mountains of East Tennessee, I was limited to Friday Night Videos as well. My only knowledge of Bowie prior to Let's Dance was a 45 that one of my older siblings had of Space Oddity.

i love these stories!!

for my own part...it was ALSO junior high...but further back in time...around 1972 or '73...
i was hanging out with what i have come to think of as "the fringe" group of kids...
and one of those guys invited me to his house after school so he could loan me The Chronicles of Narnia and for supper. so i went, and after meeting his siblings and parents we went to his room in the basement of this huge rambling old house (a CELLAR really)
he had covered the walls of his room with aluminum foil and fishnets and all sorts of found art objects and art that he had made...and HUGE posters of David Bowie! and i had never listened to any Bowie...i was still in the Carpenters/Cat Stevens/James Taylor kind of music.
and my friend put on Ziggy Stardust!!!!!! whoa.
i remember that evening like it was yesterday, even tho it was more than 30 years ago!!! needless to say i have to agree with Lord Mhoram...
particularly after his performance at the Concert in New York after 9/11...
he sat down on the stage with a tiny little Casio keyboard and sang Paul Simon's America. extraordinary and very moving.

Bowie Rocks!
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

danlo's vote for coolest Bowie song ever:

David Bowie - Moonage Daydream
I'm an alligator, I'm a mama-papa coming for you
I'm the space invader, I'll be a rock 'n' rollin' bitch for you
Keep your mouth shut, you're squawking like a big monkey bird
And I'm busting up my brains for the words

Keep your 'lectric eye on me babe
Put your ray gun to my head
Press your space face close to mine, love
Freak out in a moonage daydream oh yeah!

Don't fake it baby, lay the real thing on me
The church of man, love, is such a holy place to be
Make me baby, make me know you really care
Make me jump into the air

Freak out, far out, in out
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Good one, Danlo!

Cat People (Putting Out Fire)

See these eyes so green
I can stare for a thousand years
Colder than the moon
It's been so long
Feel my love enraged
It's just the fear of loosing you
Don't you know my name
You've been so long

And I've been putting out fire
With gasoline

See these eyes so red
Red like jungle burning bright
Those who feel me near
Pull the blinds and change their minds
It's been so long

Still this pulsing night
A plague I call a heartbeat
Just be still with me
You wouldn't believe what I've been thru
You've been so long
Well it's been so long

And I've been putting out the fire with gasoline
Putting out the fire
With gasoline

See these tears so blue
An ageless heart that can never mend
These tears can never dry
A judgement made can never bend

See these eyes so green
Just be still with me
You wouldn't believe what I've been thru

You've been so long
Well it's been so long
And I've been putting out fire with gasoline
Putting out fire with gasoline

See these tears so blue
An ageless heart that can never mend
These tears can never dry
A judgement made that can never bend

See these eyes so green
Just be still with me
You wouldnt believe what I've been thru
It's been so long
Well its been so long

And I've been putting out the fire with gasoline
Putting out fire
With gasoline

Been so long
Been so long
Well its been so long
Been so long
I've been putting out fire
Been so long
And its been so long
Been putting out fire
Well it's been so long so long so long
Yes it's been so long so long so long
Been so long so long so long
And putting out fire
Yeah yeah putting out fire
Been putting out fire
Yeah putting out fire
Putting out fire
It's been so long
It's been so long
It's been so long

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Uh-uh-uh uh, uh, uh-uh uh-uh-uh
Johnny's in America
No tricks at the wheel
Nobody needs anyone
They don't even just pretend
Johnny's in America

[CHORUS]
I'm afraid of Americans
I'm afraid of the world
I'm afraid I can't help it
I'm afraid I can't
I'm afraid of Americans
Johnny's in America

Johnny wants a plane
Johnny wants to suck on a Coke
Johnny wants a woman
Johnny wants to think of a joke
Johnny's in America

[CHORUS]
I'm afraid of Americans

Johnny's in America
Johnny looks up at the stars
Johnny combs his hair
And Johnny wants pussy in cars
Johnny's in America,
uh-uh-uh uh, uh, uh-uh uh-uh-uh
I'm afraid of Americans

God is an American
God is an American

[CHORUS]
Yeah, I'm afraid of Americans
I'm afraid of the words
I'm afraid I can't help it
I'm afraid I can't
I'm afraid of Americans

Johnny's an American
Johnny's an American
Johnny's an American,
uh-uh-uh uh, uh, uh-uh uh-uh-uh
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

My favorite Bowie tune:

"We Are The Dead"

Something kind of hit me today
I looked at you and wondered if you saw things my way

People will hold us to blame
It hit me today, it hit me today

We're taking it hard all the time
Why don't we pass it by?
Just reply, you've changed your mind
We're fighting with the eyes of the blind
Taking it hard, taking it hard

Yet now
We feel that we are papers, choking on you nightly
They tell me "Son, we want you, be elusive, but don't walk far"
For we're breaking in the new boys, deceive your next of kin
For you're dancing where the dogs decay, defecating ecstasy
You're just an ally of the leecher
Locator for the virgin King, but I love you in your fuck-me pumps
And your nimble dress that trails
Oh, dress yourself, my urchin one, for I hear them on the rails
Because of all we've seen, because of all we've said
We are the dead

One thing kind of touched me today

I looked at you and counted all the times we had laid
Pressing our love through the night

Knowing it's right, knowing it's right

Now I'm hoping some one will care
Living on the breath of a hope to be shared

Trusting on the sons of our love
That someone will care, someone will care

But now
We're today's scrambled creatures, locked in tomorrow's double feature
Heaven's on the pillow, its silence competes with hell
It's a twenty-four hour service, guaranteed to make you tell

And the streets are full of press men
Bent on getting hung and buried
And the legendary curtains are drawn 'round Baby Bankrupt
Who sucks you while you're sleeping
It's the theater of financiers
Count them, fifty 'round a table
White and dressed to kill

Oh caress yourself, my juicy
For my hands have all but withered
Oh dress yourself my urchin one, for I hear them on the stairs
Because of all we've seen, because of all we've said

We are the dead
We are the dead
We are the dead
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Bowie opening the Concert for New York with Paul Simon's America

and playing a very bizarre instrument, a "Qchord".

here is a website for that thing. (i thought it was a small casio keyboard when i saw Bowie's performance!!)

www.suzukimusic.co.uk/default.htm
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Is the Concert for New York available on DVD? I've never seen it.

Return to “Vespers”