Bowie? Too cool for a Vespers thread?

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

emotional leper
The Gap Into Spam

Post by emotional leper »

*dies from the world's strongest (yet) bowiegasm*
B&
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

8) 'bout time you found this thread!--sorry that the Heroes lyrics aren't totally correct...I'll need to edit in the proper ones, one of these days...*whistles*
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Five Years - thanks Sgt Null!!!!
Last edited by danlo on Sat May 31, 2008 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

How did I miss this thread? 8O

The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

-"Changes Year One! I love that album!"

-"Oh My God Changes is a best of you f**king poser!"
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

The amazing Starman 8) 8) 8) 8)

and, of course Ziggy Stardust
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Ah! Crazy vid of one of my favorite DB songs w/Frampton on the Glass Spider tour Sons of the Silent Age 8) 8) 8)

Same tour Day In, Day Out 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I've been heavily into Bowie lately. I do appreciate the decadent, glam-era Bowie, but the experimental, minimalist Berlin shit is where I think it's at. Low, "Heroes", and Lodger are absolute works of art. The instrumentals, particularly on Low, are fantastic. He was a bit over-the-top when he was glam (okay, he was very over-the-top); during his Berlin period, everything was meticulous, subtle, and beautiful. He definitely benefited from his partnership with Brian Eno. Also his Berlin-era partnership with Iggy Pop (The Idiot) is very compelling as well. The original "China Girl" easily beats the 1980s single.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

I still think the 1999 Bowie/Eno team-up on "Outside 1.0" is the best Bowie album to date.
:)
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Usivius,

I've heard mixed things about that album. Some people love it; others are pretty lukewarm about it. I'm willing to give it a shot though.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

yah, it is a love it or leave it kinda thing, and that is because it is not very middle-of-the-road, and not former-Bowie like stuff. It is almost stream of consciousness stuff picking up on a theme and allowing one's thoughts to go wild ... there is an interesting story on how Bowie and Eno came up with this album and the making of it, but I won't bore anyone with it right now.
It's a dark, forboding album ... Bowie was playing with the notion of people's millenium fears and a dystopic future (present?). But this is Bowie the actor and Bowie the artist in full creative thrush (in my opinion). He opened the flodgates and allowed stuff to just pour out. Whether you like it or not is subjective. But objectively, this is a daring and well put together project. And I love it on all levels of creativity and music.

I have to hands so I give it two thumbs up.
:)
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Well, I love mostly everything Bowie has done with Eno, and I do love Eno, so I would probably like this album as well.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

LM, have you heard Eno's "Nerve Net" album (form the 90s)?... It is quite amazing.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

To be honest, the extent of my Eno experience is Another Green World, Here Come the Warm Jets, Music for Airports, and that's pretty much it.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

good ones.
On a slilghtly different bend on the Bowie topic... can someone suggest a good concert DVD to buy for Bowie? I am thinking one of the late 80s spectical shows like Glass Spider or that other one with the dancers from LaLaLa Human Steps ....
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

The Glass Spider tour is worth owning simply for the phenomenal performance by Peter Frampton (he played guitar on the tour). There's a nice spot with Charlie Sexton on there as well. The concert is typical over-the-top '80s, but enjoyable.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I don't have any Bowie DVDs, but his live album Stage, from the Berlin period, is absolutely phenomenal.
Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

I feel in love with his 74 live album and continued to love almost everything he put out until the mid 80s.

I love the existenial side of Stage. Breaking Glass is probably my favorite Bowie tune followed closely by
Moonage Daydream
Sweet Thing
Changes
Rebel, Rebel
Dust to Dust & Space Oddity
and many others from that time frame.

I loved the Moby sequel Spiders. Cool idea to bring Bowie's music back into the public eye a little.

I tried Earthling and hated it, so haven't checked out any of his other 90s and later works.

Also love the Christmas duet with Bing, Drummer Boy.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Dust to Dust? You're sure you don't mean:
Ashes to Ashes? Increbible jam! The phone conversation with little George is priceless! As a Major 'Tom' this is in my DB top 5...
Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

danlo wrote:Dust to Dust? You're sure you don't mean:
Ashes to Ashes? Increbible jam! The phone conversation with little George is priceless! As a Major 'Tom' this is in my DB top 5...
Yes Ashes to Ashes. Dang old brain (slapping head) <grin>

Return to “Vespers”