Is it too late to rewite this whole Chronicle about Giants?

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

lowepg
Servant of the Land

Is it too late to rewite this whole Chronicle about Giants?

Post by lowepg »

I was thinking about what I missed the most on this new book. If I had to pick one thing- it's the Giants. I thought SRD was at his best when he was writing these characters. Both Saltheart and then the Giants of the Search.

I was thinking, now that I've just finished Runes- I think I would have preferred a whole trillogy on the Giants.

I cant help this feeling that this last chronicle was not intended. As much as I didnt want the 2nd chronicles to end- they did. TC died.

The only thing that disappointed me more than Linden being the focus of this last book- was the introduction of one of the most misused vehicles of SCi-Fi/Fantasy: time travel. Ugh. I think I groaned out loud when I first read Lindens plan to go back in time.... UGH!!!!

The only thing worse would be to find out that TC had a twin brother and *thats* who really died! It just smacks of soap opera dramatics to me. Time travel. Now anything can be undone- no consequences to the first 6 books that will restrict the new story.... even worse than breaking the law of death...

Sigh.

-Linden whining about her son
-Kevin's Dirt
-the lack of colorful characters (no lords, no giants, no wood or stone craft)
-the introduction of time travel (did I say UGH already?)
-"Folks, I know this might destroy the world- but I need to save my 'adopted' 'catatonic' son.... he's not much of a conversationalist- but he kicks ass with the LEGOS... who's with me?!"
-bringing back TC on the last page (maybe).

I'm lost. It "feels" like Godfather Part 3 to me.....No wonder the publisher is not in a hurry to get the next book out...

I've never wanted to be more wrong..... we'll see in '07/'08?
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I want to agree with you. Heck, I DO agree with you. But at the same time I can't help that I really liked Runes and felt like the writing was better than much of the 1st two Chronicles. I think SRD is maturing as a writer, and that he can make a relatively "eventless" (is that a word?) book riviting. I was just spellbound by the climb up the mountain. Not because of the dramatic tension, or because of the actual events happening, but simply because of the writing.

I'm hoping that the next books will have more story, drama, and magic.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”