3 chances to win 'Temeraire' signed by Naomi Novik

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Ainulindale
Giantfriend

3 chances to win 'Temeraire' signed by Naomi Novik

Post by Ainulindale »

I want to thank members of Admin (Jay) for allowing me to bring this contest to the Watch.

Fantasybookspot.com is sponsoring a contest that offers a chance for 3 residents of the UK to win a signed copy of Naomi Novik's recently released Temeraire (called His Majesty's Dragon in the U.S.) in a draw.

It's the first installment in a trilogy from HarperCollins/Voyager, that will have its other two installments released his year as well. Here is some of the pre-release hype:
“Is it hard to imagine a cross between Susanna Clarke and the late Patrick O’Brian? Not if you’ve read this wonderful arresting novel” - Stephen King

In the months leading up to publication, word has been spreading about the spellbinding debut which fuses the adventure of Sharpe with the language of Austen. ‘Extraordinary’ declares Anne McCaffrey, ‘A Dragon for the Ages’ adds Terry Brooks.

Now You can find out for yourself about the wonder that is Temeraire.

Set in the Napoleonic Wars, Temeraire blends true history with swashbuckling fantasy, action with romance as a Dragon Air Force participates in the battle for England’s survival. As Napoleon's tenacious infantry rampages across Europe and his armada lies in wait for Nelson's smaller fleet, the war does not rage on land and water alone. Squadrons of aviators swarm the skies – a deadly shield for the cumbersome canon-firing vessels. Raining fire and acid upon their enemies, they engage in a swift, violent combat with flying tooth and claw… for these aviators ride dragons. But, more astonishing than the dragonet – named Temeraire by Laurence – are the documents found with him, documents addressed to Napoleon from the greatest, most skilled dragon-breeders in the world – the Chinese. The dragon Temeraire was meant for the Emperor Napoleon himself and promises to grow into no ordinary creature.

Naomi Novik says ‘Something that I am trying to achieve in Temeraire is to create characters that feel as though they could step out of the page and neither topple over like cardboard, nor be too great and shining for the earth to bear.’

The Quest for a title In 2003, 33 year old Naomi Novik gave up an advanced career in computers and online technology to absorb herself in the world of writing full time. However, when her completed first novel lacked a title, she soon found herself turning to the online community for help: ‘I am stumped’ she declared on her homepage ‘also my husband, my agent, my editors and everyone else I’ve asked so far. So naturally I have turned to livejournal. Give me a title!’ And so with the competition launched, fans posted numerous suggestions, until the clear winner was found. Naomi Novik found an opportunity to combine her passions by developing computer games, starting with a multi-player online science fiction game she created in college that has now been in continuous operation for almost a decade. Naomi is a history buff with a particular fascination with the Napoleonic era and a fondness for the work of Patrick O'Brian and Jane Austen. She lives in New York City with her husband and six computers.
My own review earlier this year of the novel can be read here.

To enter all one has to do is be a resident of the Uk and answer 1 really difficult question correctly, which you will find here, and PM the answer to me (I also happen to be named Jay).

3 winners will be drawn in 3 weeks, and we will contact the winners via email.

Once again I'd like to thank Jay for allowing me to bring this free book opportunity to the Watch.
Latest Interview: George R.R. Martin

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

Check out the first issue of Heliotrope - featuring articles by R. Scott Bakker, Jeff VanderMeer and more!

"I think it's undignified to read for the purposes of escape. After you grow up, you should start reading for other purposes" - M. John Harrison

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”