That Nix Boy - Garth Nix The Thread

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

That Nix Boy - Garth Nix The Thread

Post by Landwaster »

How's Garth Nix's form!? :) I'm halfway into Abhorsen now, I picked up Sabriel when on the way to the States for a holiday in 2003 and never started reading it until last year. Now I'm an addict :)

I saw heaps of references to Nix when searching the forums but couldn't see a dedicated thread. So here we go ... thread au the dedicated.

Anyways, I only wanted to bring up the author 'cause he is very prairie chicken, but I guess I should add some actual discussion.

So ...

Umm ...

Oh well how's the detention centre references!?
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Landwaster!! Good to see you, buddy.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Wow! It's been a long time since Landwaster has been by! Good to see you! :biggrin:

As for Nix, I quite like his writing. While his works are considered Young Adult, there is quite a bit of darkness in them, especially in his science fiction novel Shade's Children. I also greatly enjoy the Abhorsen books, and just read the fourth of what will be seven books of his Keys to the Kingdom series. :)
Love as thou wilt.

MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I am a big fan of Garth Nix. His Abhorsen trilogy is a wonderful piece of writing. I was really impressed at the way he took several different ideas from fantasy writing and used them in original ways.

I have also read Shade's Children, which I found interesting, but quite dark. (He has said he was in a dark mood when he wrote it.)

I have been working my way through his Seven Keys to the Kingdom series.

But Abhorsen is still my favorite. 8)
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Thanks for the kind helloes :)

Well I'm just getting toward the end of Abhorsen, 3rd of the Old Kingdom trilogy. Enjoy them thoroughly, and yes they are elementally elementary, but have 1) spates of complexity and 2) darker undertones. Young adult? When I was a young adult I was reading Three Investigators books! (Well, that and The Chronicles themselves, so I guess I've contradicted meself). The two animal companions definitely often lag into childish depiction, so yeah.

I love the combination of the major fantasy themes in the OK trilogy : adventure, magic, horror.

I reckon they're enjoyable because the writing style is so readily accessible. The worlds and stories and ways of life imagined are high quality, but the actual writing style and terminology is almost lowbrow, very much a people's opera. It suggests that my own life and existence shows promise after all.

Ok, enough crap.

Here's some stuff I like a lot :
Spoiler
The entire world of death, reminded me a little of the reciprocal world in Spares, the one the bloke got to by driving straight at the trees. Dream-state worlds within extant worlds are always highly invoking.
Horror moments, eg in Abhorsen the guard jumping from the lighthouse, the townsfolk of wherever in Sabriel moving the boxes, the merchant party in Abhorsen. Of course, every time average Joes from across the wall are faced with fighting something that they don't understand/believe!
The library. Oh dear, how can I explain how much large buidlings with many paths and corridors and rooms gives me a spring to my step! What a place that must have been.
A couple of things that aren't so crash hot.
Spoiler
I do think the depiction of the animal companions are just a little TOO kiddish.
Not enough places visited! How many times had we been teased with a visit to Robles Towns, Edge or Qyrre. I've only actually been in one OK town - Belisaere. The little one on the island was too empty to count!
In Sabriel, the actual idea of somebody consumed by a bad guy, then still with a vague flicker of life constraining bad guy so good guy can defate bad guy ... umm ... pretty common.
Six off the last ball of the last over in the last match of his schooling. Tosser. :)
Ok I'm done. :)

... for now ...
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I loved the Abhorsen trilogy, as well as Shade's Children and The Ragwitch, and Across the Wall (short stories). Haven't tried Keys to the Kingdom or Seventh Tower yet, but they're on my list. (My long, long list.)

I've always been drawn to the 'darker' side of the fantasy genre, I started reading SRD when I was 14, and I wish Nix had been writing back then, but the YA classification did not detract from the enjoyment factor in the least. The world he created in the Abhorsen series is fascinating, and I hope he returns to it.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

I'm really close to the end of Abhorsen now, where Lirael and her dog have just performed a little .. shall I say ... pruning? :)

SOUTHERLINGS AND AUSTRALIAN DETENTION CENTRES
For any readers of the Old Kingdom trilogy who are not knowledgeable of Australian current affairs/politics ... the whole Southerlings refugees and camps, especially the way they were described in the 2nd book, "Lirael", seem to have been inspired by the political hotpot of boat people and detention centres. The manner, length, and in fact the existence of detention centres in Australia to 'process' 'illegal' immigrants (a lot of these terms are arguable depending upon which side of the coin you're betting on) are subject to voracious debate.

Basically, if you try to escape a shocking regime somewhere by hitching I ride on a junk bound for some wild coastline of northern Australia, chances are we'll find you, stick you in a 'detention centre' (a camp which is kind of a lock-up, some even are surrounded by barbed wire and are located in deserts!). This is place to contain whatever threat a 'boat person' might present .. most will be on the level but there may be undesirables amongst them ... we're are on Al Quaida's hitlist, ya know.

Eventually you'll either be handed some cash and let into the country, or put on a plane and sent back to from whence you came (if we believe you when you said you came from there, else you might be sent back to where we think you came from).

Being careful about who is let in, maintaining a fair process that doesn't put boat people ahead of form-filler-outers, well, no-one disputes that. But the treatment of folks during the processing stage is subject to debate. Some feel that they've 'queue-jumped', floating in on a ship instead of applying for refugee status via official channels. They also fear the danger that a lack of paperwork may represent. Others feel that to lock folks in a wire cage and keep them sometimes for years while unwinding red tape, is purely inhumane.

While this is a hotbed of anger and verbal jousting (and some protesters have on occasion broken into the centres and actually freed the residents - yes just like from the Clave's dungeon!), it definitely provides interesting food for thought, and I reckon Nix had the issue in mind when he mentioned encampments of southerlings close to the wall where Ancelstierran bureacracy worked out what to do with them.

... AND A BLUE DOG ON THE BACK
Just as Rodney Rude himself reckons, every ute needs a blue dog attached. Note the description of the dog as being a basic cross/mongrel, bit of a blue dog. This is an Australian icon. Nix may never have seen one (though I'm sure he did), its as common a terminology as is 'Dennys' in the USA.

HOW ABOUT THE SEABOUND SIDES OF THE LAND IN QUESTION?
What real-life locales may have inspired the geography of the Old Kingdom and Ancelstiere? The first time I looked at the map, I thought, wow, its England and Scotland! Just purely by the layout. But now I'm not so sure. He's definitely enjoying adding Aussie influences (many of which come from the UK), including terminology like 'reckon', for instance (in the USA, they say 'guess' more than 'reckon' - so the missus tells me (she's a yank). There's no real relevance to Australia as we don't have major boundaries, none at all with other nations that are on land! I keep coming back to England and Scotland but mayhap its just wasted guesswork. Waterbound left and right, umm no chance of it being the Mediterranean and the Dead Sea, though? Ooh Pacific and Caribbean - *cough*.

Anyways, they's just some thoughts.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

thanks for that bit of Aussie background. :) I was sort of wondering about those refugees that pop up in Abhorsen and what might have inspired them. :)

Sorus, I also greatly enjoyed the short story collection Across the Wall. :) Nix is a gifted short story writer; some of the best were only a few pages (or less) long, but they were very complete and well written stories. :) Such well done brevity seems to be a rare thing these days. :)
Love as thou wilt.

Ylva Kresh
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Ylva Kresh »

Just made a search for Garth Nix and found this thread that I decided to wake from the dead (all in the very best abbhorsen-style of course: I do not think it had passed beyod the fourth gate yet actually). I really like his books and think he might have compeated with Donaldson if I they were written earlier (that is - if I had read them when I was younger). The scary creature under the glass floor in Lirael still haunt my dreams at night sometimes. I think that Lirael is for the Librarian profession what Indiana Jones is for Archeaology... "So you think you want to become a librarian? - here is your sword, whistle (for help) and security mouse (will run to get help if there is need)..."

Yesterday I started reading Mister Monday (I bought it some time ago and promised myself not to start reading it until all the books in this series were available... of course I did not manage to keep my promise.).
SLATFATF...
Lady Revel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lady Revel »

Loved the Abhorsen trilogy and Across the Wall......would like to see more of that world.

Currently reading the Seventh Tower having trouble getting into it.....could be because I am not feeling too well today.

I have always loved YA lit, (as you can see from my library - www.librarything.com/profile/hilleyanne )- I wanted to become a high school librarian when I was younger. Somehow I ended up in accounting, but rather wish I'd finished my master's in Library Science. Life got in the way. (excuses, excuses)

I also liked the weekday themed books, up to Thursday, but waiting for Friday to come out in softcover before I buy it.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

For those of you who are interested, on March 11, Garth Nix posted this status on his Facebook wall:
CLARIEL has left the building. In other words, it has gone to my various agents and thence to editors. Ended up slightly over 120,000 words.
I am so excited! 8)
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Nice. Something to look forward to.

MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Yup! :biggrin:
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Clariel is available for pre-order.

It's coming out in October, so I'm not pre-ordering yet, but it's on my wish list.

I can't wait. 8)
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Nice! About time.

MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

You said it, Sorus. :)
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Just finished reading Clariel: The Lost Abhorsen. It's a good story.

And in the afterword he says he's working on another Old Kingdom story!!! 8)
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”