The Art Thread - with images!

Look! Up in the sky! *To be continued...* (This story continued in KW Comics #263)

Moderators: dANdeLION, aTOMiC, sgt.null

Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Tulizar wrote:I never checked out this forum before. I am in awe!! Loremaster, Dan and Atomic's stuff is incredible. Seriously looks better than some published crap I've seen. Some pretty cool art--reminds me of drawings from RPGs and fantasy/sci-fi collections.

Jwaneeta is out of this world. I can't imagine any publisher not being interested in publishing your works for an SRD art compendium. Good stuff.

I also loved the photography Xar and Aelyria.

Can't wait to see Khaliban's Revelstone.

BTW I am truly impressed that LM, Khaliban and Atomic are not only good artists, but exceptional writers. Good work all!!

The talent at KW never ceases to amaze me.
Thanks Tulizar... just for the record, the landscapes I presented are not photos, but pictures I created using the computer, a good 3D-landscape renderer, photoshop, my own inspiration, and personal tastes ;)
Tulizar
Bloodguard

Post by Tulizar »

Very cool Xar. Nice work!
Proverbs for Paranoids #3.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

THANKYOU for the nice comments, Tulizar! :)
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Okay Lore, I'm posting this in an attempt to get you to keep your graphic novel......if I can keep this pile of shit (my only defense is that I was 13 when I drew this), then you can keep your novel!

The central figure is, of course, a complete and utter tracing of John Buscema's cover of Nova #1 (Joe Sinnot inked it, I think), even down to my 'D/S' sig, which is B/S on the Nova cover......I opted to show my true lack of abilities on the rest of the cover; bad choice, if you ask me. :biggrin:
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Funny thing is its still in the bin in my room.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Well, you better get it out before I post more 'Alpha' covers.....(I think I have another half-dozen, so I'm NOT bluffing here!)....or even worse, 'Alpha' pages, which weren't nearly as good as the covers!
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

:lol:
jwaneeta
Bloodguard

Post by jwaneeta »

EDIT: I just don't have the guts to keep that one up. It was the first comics thing I ever did, and ouch, talk about bad.

Anyway: Lore, whatever you think of your GN, it can't be worse than that stuff. :) Plus, you should never throw anything out -- original ideas are worth keeping in any form.
the rue of the melody could not be mistaken
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Totally agree.

--A
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

jwaneeta wrote:EDIT: I just don't have the guts to keep that one up. It was the first comics thing I ever did, and ouch, talk about bad.
Sorry I missed it. Have you ever talked to Peter David? Looking at your work, I think you'd be a much better fit on 'Fallen Angel' that the guy he has now.....
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

jwaneeta
Bloodguard

Post by jwaneeta »

dANdeLION wrote:
jwaneeta wrote:EDIT: I just don't have the guts to keep that one up. It was the first comics thing I ever did, and ouch, talk about bad.
Sorry I missed it. Have you ever talked to Peter David? Looking at your work, I think you'd be a much better fit on 'Fallen Angel' that the guy he has now.....
Dude, sorry, I missed this -- something went a little wonky with my email notifications. Since I went on vacation I only get about 1 in 4. Odd.

Peter David. I've met him, but only at SD Con, just in passing. I really admire his work. I probably said, "I really admire your work." ;)

Pardon in advance the double post: I came into the forum to post some odds and ends. So here I go.
jwaneeta
Bloodguard

The cutting room floor

Post by jwaneeta »

Before I got my current gig I was doing a lot of spec work and whatnot to get back into the business. Like, a year of it. Nothing like being a cloistered nun to take a person out of circulation. :) Anyway, some of it was never published for various reasons.

Like the adaptation of Romeo and Juliet for which I turned in character concepts and about four pages of pencils. I used the kid who played Connor on AtS for Romeo, and Summer Glau from Firefly for Juliet. Sometimes you have to make your own fun. :)

Shortly thereafter I agreed to do a Lemony-Snickets type book on spec, except that by the time they got me the script I had a gig in animation. I was up unto the wee hours trying to do both, and we agreed I wasn't getting the look they were after. Since it didn't pay anything, we parted amicably.

I have a colored version of this someplace. Eh. Terminally cluttered drive.

On a more recent note, a hazy conversation with my art director lead to some spot illustrations of an academic (US) nature:

But I didn't get that they wanted something freakier for another imprint. So here's the same list, in graduating (but still kid safe) degrees of freakiness)

I'm really lucky to have this job. Don't I know it. When the worst they say is, "Freakier PLZKTHX," it's a a pretty nice day. :)
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

*tacklehugglepounces Jwaneeta* You rawk!!!!!!!! That is all. :D
Awesome work. . very inspiring!

~Lyr

jwaneeta
Bloodguard

Post by jwaneeta »

Thank you very much. :)
Injerian Praetus II
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Injerian Praetus II »

My avatar was drawn by Loremaster.
"Oh of course," the Navigator said with faint mocking in his voice, "you have probably heard of House Praetus. We have a palace on Holy Terra. Like all powerful groups, we also have our enemies. Do you honestly think someone like you matters?" - A dissolute noble.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Nor Yekith wrote:My avatar was drawn by Loremaster.

Funny, I could have sworn that was ALT + 255's work.....
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Eugen Razvan
Giantfriend

Post by Eugen Razvan »

dANdeLION wrote:
Nor Yekith wrote:My avatar was drawn by Loremaster.

Funny, I could have sworn that was ALT + 255's work.....
It's definitely indicative of the great ALT+255, but you can tell it's Loremaster because the pencil strokes all move in a counter-clockwise rotation.
Eugen Razvan
Giantfriend

Re: The cutting room floor

Post by Eugen Razvan »

jwaneeta wrote:Before I got my current gig I was doing a lot of spec work and whatnot to get back into the business. Like, a year of it. Nothing like being a cloistered nun to take a person out of circulation. :) Anyway, some of it was never published for various reasons.

Like the adaptation of Romeo and Juliet for which I turned in character concepts and about four pages of pencils. I used the kid who played Connor on AtS for Romeo, and Summer Glau from Firefly for Juliet. Sometimes you have to make your own fun. :)

Shortly thereafter I agreed to do a Lemony-Snickets type book on spec, except that by the time they got me the script I had a gig in animation. I was up unto the wee hours trying to do both, and we agreed I wasn't getting the look they were after. Since it didn't pay anything, we parted amicably.

8O My god! Beautiful! Spectacular!
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

My dyslexia must be acting up again, I thought Nor's title said: God of Malnutrition :biggrin:
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

danlo wrote:My dyslexia must be acting up again, I thought Nor's title said: God of Malnutrition :biggrin:
:lol:

Return to “dANdeLION's Comics Cave”