Illearth Stone(s)

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:I think the use of the Illearth Stone in the Wounded Land was used for more to compare and contrast the different powers in play during the 2nd series and just a reference from the previous series but not laying any groundwork for the 3rd.

It showed that, using the fragment, the people of Stonemight were free from having to use the lore of the Clave to survive the Sunbane.
But that it was still a corrupting force.

Gibbon had no use for the Stone because he had access to the much more powerful Banefire.

When TC held the fragment in his hand and destroyed it with WM it showed us just how powerful TC was becoming along with reminding us all about the love he felt for Foamfollower.

Also , whatever happened to Kinslaughter's fragment that the 3 Bloodguard attempted to bring back the the Lords?
They returned to Revelstone maimed and corrupted but didn't possess the fragment.
So unless Foul sent it out into the Land before the Creche was destroyed there's a good chance it's in the Ocean.
Hey, maybe the Merewives found it!
:o

just a guess of course but i think Foul took the piece of the stone from the bloodguard, ridiculed them for a while and then used the same flake he took from them to cut off their fingers maiming them to resemble TC, then he probably fused the piece back into the main stone after telling them to go to Lords keep and kill anyone they encountered. :)

I've never come across any reference that i recall telling the fate of Kinslaughterers piece of the stone. what surprises me is that he didnt make the bloodguard keep the stone to do battle and let a raver take possession of all if not at least one of them...but maybe even with stone and ravers the possesion of a haruchai may have been like taking a bath in earthpower and very distasteful to a raver.
AjK
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Standing in the dark. Watching you glow. Lifting a receiver ...

Post by AjK »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:
Xar wrote: I follow the "Land is internal" idea.
So that to me, the Illearth Stone represents leprosy.
I am a "Land is both internal & external" guy. Your thought here is very interesting! There are folks who (rightly or wrongly) view physical maladies as being tied to if not generated by emotional/spiritual ones. In this model Foul could represent the spiritual ill that manifests itself in the Land physically as the Illearth Stone or other banes. Just having fun thinking out loud. Thanks for your insight!

Andy
AjK
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Standing in the dark. Watching you glow. Lifting a receiver ...

Post by AjK »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:Hey, maybe the Merewives found it!
:o
Hey, are you insinuating that all women only concern themselves with jewelry? I have a wife, two step-daughters and one daughter. If they start reading this forum over my shoulder I could get in some serious demondim doo-doo! LOL.

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”