Fevre Dream

Winter is coming...

Moderator: dANdeLION

Loredoctor
Lord

Fevre Dream

Post by Loredoctor »

Who has read it? Classic?
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Undecided. I found it enjoyable, and an interesting take on vampires, but I felt the ending was a little flat. It's certainly pretty good, but his writing skill has improved even further from writing this book to writing A Song of Ice and Fire, which I read first, so I guess it was hard to judge fairly.
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

I agree with Murrin. A good little horror novel, but not the spectacular book one might expect from Martin, after reading A Song of Ice and Fire.

In fact, I would go so far as to say Martin is a good horror writer, and a good science fiction writer, but he was BORN to write epic fantasy. I've read a lot of his science fiction, but nothing even comes close to the brilliance of Song of Ice and Fire.
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I have to read a Song of Ice and Fire.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I liked it. I would have liked it better if it were titled "Favre Dream" and they won a few Superbowls together instead of going into that other venture, but it was very cool. I dislike Vampire books on general principle, but I put this and King's Salems Lot as my 2 favorites.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Yeah, best vampire novel. Used to like Interview with the Vampire, but that's really just sensuality. *yawn*
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I brought it, but haven't yet gotten around to reading it.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Interview with a Vampire? Gods Michael, that was hideous, and very dull.

If I wanted that much angst I could just watch an episode of Desperate Housewives. :P
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I found it to be a wonderful exploration of trust, friendship - and an exploration of a theme he will explore again in ASOIAF - slavery. 8)

And it has a bittersweet ending, like he has promised us for ASOIAF.

The only Martin book I have thus far read and not liked was The Armageddin Rag. :?
Love as thou wilt.

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I have yet to read a Martin book that was anything less than superb....of course, I haven't read Armageddon Rag, so there you have it.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Fevre Dream's been one of my favourite books since I was sixteen (scarily over half my life ago) and strangely for a book-aholic I'd never looked at martin's other books 'til i started frequenting KW and realised he had a whole series of fantasy books too!!!!! Boy was I excited!!!!!!!

Perhaps a bit too excited. i'm currently nearly finished Blood and Snow, and really, all I want to do is go back and read Fevre Dream, to persuade myself that GRRM is a good author!

Why didn't he continue FD as a series instead of SOFAI?

(I'm not saying I dislike SOFAI, I just don't think it's up to the same standard)
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>

Return to “George R. R. Martin Forum”