Wine!

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

I think I once heard Mario Batali say that it's never a bad idea to pair a food with a wine from the same region. Of course, the world is globalized now. . . but it makes sense that the same things that influence the taste of food (nutrients, climates, etc) would influence the grapes as well.

I (very obviously) am not an expert on wine. But I did recently enjoy some domestic Port. I'll have to save up a bit to sample some of the imported kinds. :)

And if you are interested in looking about, this link is to my favorite local wine seller.

Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Wyldewode wrote:And if you are interested in looking about, this link is to my favorite local wine seller.
Yum :)

www.brownderby.com/wineproduct.php?pf_id=60534
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

That looks good, Vader! I have to be careful when I go into that store. . . they sell all kinds of amazing gormet food and imported things (like cheese, chocolate, and balsamic vinegar) and I usually spend a lot more than I'd planned to. :)

Kaydene
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kaydene »

I started drinking very, very dry white wines and now I can't drink any sweet wine without shuddering.

I'd say my favorite would be pinot noir. Any kind will do. :) I lived in Napa in my early twenties and was blessed to do so! I'd love to become a better connoisseur, but for the time being, I'm anything but picky. I don't like sweet wine, I don't like merlot. :)
"This is the room where Jezebel frescoed her eyelids with history's tragic glitter." ~Tom Robbins

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Pinot Noir and Pinot Grigio have become our favorites as well. Crisp and dry.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

New Zealand Savignon Blanc is all very well and good, but my taste buds are going 8O tonight!

Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

I think I like the Sancerre you posted a while ago better ... at least it is my favo(u)rite wine for a warm summer evening on the porch, watching the goosberries grow ...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

oh...
you are so wicked, Vader!

"...watching the gooseberries grow..."

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

At the Celtic festival today, I picked up a packet of herbs and directions for making Midsummer mead. The herbs in the kit include rosehips, elderflowers, chamomile, spearmint, meadowsweet and vervain. There's also a small packet of yeast. The additional ingredients are two pounds of honey and a gallon of spring water, and it claims it will make about a gallon of mean in 7 to 14 days. If I start it today or tomorrow, I could have mead for Midsummer! Er, assuming it works. I'll let y'all know.

They had a bunch of other herb blends for making mead, too, but the Midsummer one sounded kind of, y'know, seasonal. ;)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Oh cool!

If you can find out what type of yeast is included now that you have instructions, I hope you will consider sharing the process of how it is done. I love mead, but have never seen a fermenting kit for it.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Indeed. While Menolly was here, Dam-sel and I took her to visit a local meadery, but all we really saw was a tasting room...no production spaces. Their prices were pretty steep, too.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Menolly wrote:Oh cool!

If you can find out what type of yeast is included now that you have instructions, I hope you will consider sharing the process of how it is done. I love mead, but have never seen a fermenting kit for it.
Hunh. Just says "yeast".

Here's a link to the people who made the kit I bought.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

Menolly wrote:oh...
you are so wicked, Vader!

"...watching the gooseberries grow..."

Everything darker than everything else. :)

And thanks for correcting my spelling mistake in "gooseberries". (no irony)
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

Mad Dog goes well with pizza. :P
Never underestimate the power of denial. - Ricky Fitts
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Harbinger wrote:Mad Dog goes well with pizza. :P
That might be the saddest post I've ever seen in the Galley.... :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Oh fine, I'll double-post. :lol:

Today is Midsummer Day, day 8 of the mead-making adventure. Magickmaker and I tasted the brew this evening and pronounced it done. So I poured it off into bottles and stuck 'em in the fridge. And of course we each had to have a glass. ;)

It doesn't seem to have a whole lot of kick to it. I suspect if we'd let it ferment the full two weeks, it would have a higher alcohol content. But it tastes like wine. And Magickmaker likes her wines sweet anyhow.

I got 4 bottles of mead out of the deal. One is going back to the friend who donated an empty wine bottle out of her recycling bin; one will likely go home with Batty and Shara Lunison this weekend; and if there's one left by Sunday, I'll take it to book club.

I would definitely try this again, maybe at Yule. But I would buy another kit, and not try to use a recipe from the intarwebz. Gotmead.com has a ton of recipes -- and technical terms and advice on buying specialized equipment and so on. They just generally make it into a freaking science. *Way* too technical for me. :)

Happy solstice, everybody!

EZ Board Survivor

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I now feel less guilty for only giving my last batch three months. ;) If only it took me that long to drink all five gallons of it.

My next one is going to be a melomel. I'm going to use peaches and lime and call it diamondraught.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Cool, Syl!

The recipe in this kit produces what the directions call a short mead -- because it doesn't have to ferment very long. Perfect for people with short attention spans like me. ;)

EZ Board Survivor

Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

Awesome! I think I may have to give making mead a shot. :)

For some reason, this just reminded me that my godmother is given to making various homemade fruit wines. I shall have to have her teach me to make a batch.

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

aliantha wrote:
Syl wrote:
aliantha wrote:I would definitely try this again, maybe at Yule. But I would buy another kit, and not try to use a recipe from the intarwebz. Gotmead.com has a ton of recipes -- and technical terms and advice on buying specialized equipment and so on. They just generally make it into a freaking science. *Way* too technical for me. :)

I now feel less guilty for only giving my last batch three months. ;) If only it took me that long to drink all five gallons of it.

My next one is going to be a melomel. I'm going to use peaches and lime and call it diamondraught.
Cool, Syl!

The recipe in this kit produces what the directions call a short mead -- because it doesn't have to ferment very long. Perfect for people with short attention spans like me. ;)
I would love to do the all-out method like on gotmead.com, but the jargon totally flies over my head. If it could be put in total amateur newbie terms though I would definitely give it a try.

I want to make some diamondraught, and maybe bring some with me to next summer's elohimfest to share with everyone...

Return to “The Galley”