KEVIN'S WATCH ANTHOLOGY II - THIS TIME ITS PERSONAL

For the discussion about old anthologies, or the planning of new ones.

Moderators: hierachy, aTOMiC

aTOMiC
Lord

KEVIN'S WATCH ANTHOLOGY II - THIS TIME ITS PERSONAL

Post by aTOMiC »

Okay. I will grant you that the first Anthology took far too long to complete.
I can assure everyone that we will not see a repeat performance. The first Anthology suffered from an ignorance on my part and from the departure of 2 key members of the Anthology team from the Watch. They were at the time integral to the completion of the project. Namely Myste and Edge. We do not fault either of these members. Whatever commitments or issues that prematurely ended their participation were likely personal and certainly important.
Now that we have made one journey from idea to completion, a second trip should be a relative cakewalk.

I would like for the second Anthology to be completed this year if possible. If principal editing of the manuscript is ready by November I can assure everyone that the finished product will be available for purchase by Christmas of this year. That is my promise.

I am currently working on my entry for the second go around.

We need to discuss the guidelines and begin forming the selection team.
Joy has been very generous with her time in editing the first volume and has mentioned that she is up for another go. I will be happy to perform whatever post production tasks are needed to complete the project and of course contribute another story.

We need submissions and we need brave souls to comprise the selection committee.

A new wrinkle this time is dAN’s possible graphic story. There is no issue beyond formatting a comic book type story for the 5”x8” paperback size. Your images can be inserted into the document as long as it is scanned and clear enough for reproduction.

Also it has been mentioned that we might create an Anthology Forum to place production ideas for new volumes, discussion of authors and stories etc. Jay is this a good idea?

Are we up for this guys? What say you all?
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

Well, as we have already dicussed, I'm in!

And as I have already suggested (:P), I think an anthology forum would be a good idea. :)
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Great, I have to write another story. Heh.
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

I was gonna volunteer for the selection committee, but I'm not sure I have the time. :( I'm gonna try to write a story this time, though. Hopefully the mental gears are gonna start grinding again.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

I'd love to be a part of the selection committee, but I believe I'm already up to my neck with editing my college's literary magazine. Haven't begun the job yet, but a previous person told me it entailed being flood-mailed by hundreds of poems. Yum.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

For those of you thinking about joining the selection committe consider that you may not have a lot to do for months while everyone gets their submissions together.
FYI

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I'm waiting to see if SRD's publishers sue you over the first anthology.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

how does it work? what are the guidelines? criteria for submission?

subject matter criteria? i'm interested in submitting.

i would volunteer for production work (proofing, editing, selection, or whatever you need) but i am in school and have a heavy load this coming semester so i'm not sure how much time i'd have to devote. still...i'd love to be involved in some way.
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Last time, I thought that the submission committee wasn't allowed to submit anything. So, after reading your stuff, I sincerely hope you don't disqualify yourself from submitting.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Wayfriend wrote:I'm waiting to see if SRD's publishers sue you over the first anthology.
Oh crap, we're not going to get sued, are we? I don't wanna get sued. Maybe we should just use the Lulu account that Tom made, so I'm not personally liable at all... Heh. :P

Seriously, though...I'm kinda scared now... Heh.-jay
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

kevinswatch wrote:
Wayfriend wrote:I'm waiting to see if SRD's publishers sue you over the first anthology.
Oh crap, we're not going to get sued, are we? I don't wanna get sued. Maybe we should just use the Lulu account that Tom made, so I'm not personally liable at all... Heh. :P

Seriously, though...I'm kinda scared now... Heh.-jay

Um. Outside of the use of the name that references this our discussion forum, (which SRD and his publishers don't seem to have a problem with or else Jay would have been sued long ago), I can't imagine what copyright infringement there is in regard to our Anthology.

Now if the book was filled with fanfiction or claimed to be written by SRD in some way I could understand but.....

I suppose we could strip off the "Kevin's Watch" part of the title and just call it "Anthology 2006" but frankly I don't see the harm.
Last edited by aTOMiC on Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Hmmm....Jay, I can't seem to find the [rainonmyparade] smiley....
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Heh, sorry, I'm just a wuss and get freaked out easily.

As long as you all are sure I'm not going to get sued by anyone... Heh.-jay
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

Tom is right. The idea is ridicuous. The anthology is named after our discussion forum. That's it. None of the actual content has anything to do with SRD at all.

Yeah, we could change the title to "Watch Anthology 2006" or "KW Anthology 2006"... but the whole idea just seems silly if you ask me.
kevinswatch
"High" Lord

Post by kevinswatch »

Yeah, I doubt that the phrase "Kevin's Watch" is copyrighted at all. Plus, we won't be making any money off of this thing anyway...

Still, I just wanted to make sure... It's my ass that's going to get sued, afterall. :P -jay
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

"There'll be no suing here today!"
Now on with the show.

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

kevinswatch wrote:Yeah, I doubt that the phrase "Kevin's Watch" is copyrighted at all. Plus, we won't be making any money off of this thing anyway...

Still, I just wanted to make sure... It's my ass that's going to get sued, afterall. :P -jay
Actually, "Kevin's Watch" was SRDs intellectual property the moment he wrote it down, even if copyright isn't registered. Though I suppose it would be the term when used to refer to a tall stone tower, not just the words themselves. Like people have said, it won't be a problem. Especially since SRD is explicitly credited as inspiration in Joy's introduction.

Oh, and I've decided I will volunteer for the selection commitee.
Last edited by I'm Murrin on Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinswatch
"High" Lord

Post by kevinswatch »

That crafty bastard!

What if my name is Kevin, and I happen to buy a wrist watch. Could SRD sue me? ;) -jay
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Well, I enjoyed being involved last time, and I'd be happy to help out in the same capacity again if needed. :D
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

dANdeLION wrote:Hmmm....Jay, I can't seem to find the [rainonmyparade] smiley....
Funny you should say that . . . :lol:
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!

Return to “Kevin's Watch Anthology Forum”