Ian C Esselmont's Night of Knives

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Ian C Esselmont's Night of Knives

Post by I'm Murrin »

(I've tried to make sure there are no spoilers in this post, if you haven't read the book.)

Night of Knives is the first novel from "Cam" Esselmont, co-creator of the Malazan universe and the mind behind such characters as "Whiskeyjack, Hedge, Trotts, Coll, Murillio, Turban Orr, Simtal, Vorcan, Draconus, Osserc, the Emperor, Dassem Ultor, Rhulad, Fear, Trull (different names for those three), Envy, Baruk, the Seguleh, Kallor, Prince K'azz, Cowl, all of the Crimson Guard with exceptions noted below, Leoman of the Flails, possibly Kalam, the Crippled God, the Queen of Dreams (second time round), and a number of others whom none of you have met yet."

The novel covers the events of the most infamous night in the history of the Malazan Empire: The night Kellanved and Dancer returned from their long exile only to be killed by Surly, their self-titled Regent.
The Night of Knives takes place one year after the slaughter in the Mouse that we saw in the GotM Prologue, on one of the most dangerous nights possible: A Shadow Moon, when the realms brush close to one another, and things cross over. The story is told from the PoV of two new characters who get caught up in the events: Temper, a veteran of the Seven Cities and Quon Tali campaigns who is in hiding, working as a guard at Mock's Keep in Malaz City; and Kiska, a young girl who has lived her whole life in Malaz and wants nothing more than to get away.

I read the book recently after winning it in a competition at Pat's site. The story is good, fitting with the style I'm used to seeing in the Malazan books, and providing some new insights into the characters we have seen in Erikson's series. Cam Esselmont's writing is less polished than Erikson's, but this is understandable with the difference in writing experience between the two authors. I expect that Cam will improve in time, as Erikson has done over the course of his books.

Is there anyone else here who has read the book? Did you think it lived up to the (high) standard set by Erikson?
Marv
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Marv »

I havn't read it yet, Murrin. I'm curious, how long is it and where would you place it in the series? Is it necessary or useful to have first read all of the current Erikson books or is it a stand alone title? If it's short enough i might just blast through it in a week-end soon, just to break up the Erikson portion of the series. Thanks.
It'd take you a long time to blow up or shoot all the sheep in this country, but one diseased banana...could kill 'em all.

I didn't even know sheep ate bananas.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

It's fairly short - 300 pages. At the minute it's hard to get your hands on, since it's only available from the small press PS Publishing, who are based in the UK and who also publish Erikson's Bauchelain and Broach novellas, as well as his non-Malaz fiction. The novel has recently been picked up by one of the big publishers in the UK, however, and will be available in mass market paperback early next year. The same publisher has also obtained rights to his second Malaz novel, Return of the Crimson Guard.

As for when to read it wrt the series, I don't think it's necessary to have read all the books, but it helps to be at least a little familiar with the Malazan world, since the book is a little like Gardens of the Moon in that it drops you into the world with few explanations. Having read at least Deadhouse Gates would probably be best, since then the reader would be more familiar with Malaz City and some of the landmarks there, and would know something important about Kellanved and Dancer.
Reading it after Bonehunters like myself, there is even more to be noticed in the book - part of The Bonehunters was set on Malaz, and it featured cameos from several Night of Knives characters.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Murrin wrote:The novel covers the events of the most infamous night in the history of the Malazan Empire: The night Kellanved and Dancer returned from their long exile only to be killed by Surly, their self-titled Regent.
The Night of Knives takes place one year after the slaughter in the Mouse that we saw in the GotM Prologue, on one of the most dangerous nights possible:
you sure? :? cause doesn't Laseen come up there on the roof where Whiskeyjack is talking to Paran? isn't that the prologue? (i gave my copy away and can't check) and isn't she already Empress?

i thought Night of Knives happen a year PRIOR to the prologue in GotM but i could be wrong.
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Marv
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Marv »

Lucimay wrote:
Murrin wrote:The novel covers the events of the most infamous night in the history of the Malazan Empire: The night Kellanved and Dancer returned from their long exile only to be killed by Surly, their self-titled Regent.
The Night of Knives takes place one year after the slaughter in the Mouse that we saw in the GotM Prologue, on one of the most dangerous nights possible:
you sure? :? cause doesn't Laseen come up there on the roof where Whiskeyjack is talking to Paran? isn't that the prologue? (i gave my copy away and can't check) and isn't she already Empress?

i thought Night of Knives happen a year PRIOR to the prologue in GotM but i could be wrong.
Nah, i'm pretty sure when she appears on the roof she is still in charge of The Claw. She has just changed her name and they say something about the meaning of her new name being an open threat to the emporer.
It'd take you a long time to blow up or shoot all the sheep in this country, but one diseased banana...could kill 'em all.

lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Marvin The Magnificent wrote:
Lucimay wrote:

thanks marv
( :roll: do i have to keep callin you marv?)

guess i'd better go pick mySELF up another copy!! :biggrin:
Nah, i'm pretty sure when she appears on the roof she is still in charge of The Claw. She has just changed her name and they say something about the meaning of her new name being an open threat to the emporer.
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
Marv
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Marv »

You can call me whatever you want Luc. ;)

lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

um... 8O ...how'd i do that?

oh. nevermind. phew. too much coffee too little sleep. pay no attention.
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Well, there is a slight problem on that: In the prologue of Gardens, Surly has changed her name to Laseen, but is not Empress, as Kellanved and Dancer are still missing. In Night of Knives, she is still called Surly, and it is mentioned that she will "take the throne and her new name with it".
Marv
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Marv »

Murrin wrote:Well, there is a slight problem on that: In the prologue of Gardens, Surly has changed her name to Laseen, but is not Empress, as Kellanved and Dancer are still missing. In Night of Knives, she is still called Surly, and it is mentioned that she will "take the throne and her new name with it".
so are you saying it's an inconsistancy between the two books or that the situation is just further explained in Night of Knives?

lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Murrin wrote:Well, there is a slight problem on that: In the prologue of Gardens, Surly has changed her name to Laseen, but is not Empress, as Kellanved and Dancer are still missing. In Night of Knives, she is still called Surly, and it is mentioned that she will "take the throne and her new name with it".
right. now how did i get the impression she already WAS Empress? i'm going to go pick one up after work. must read it again.

i'm about 100 pages away from the end of Bonehunters right now and will start at the beginning after.
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

She had made herself acting Regent in Kellanved's absence, and the new name they spoke about - Laseen - means Thronemaster. They were talking about how obvious it was she intended to take the throne soon.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

ah ha! thank you. :biggrin: i DID pick a new copy up this evening...as well as one for Creator and one for Recluce which i will deliver in person next week! :biggrin:
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

am very excited!!! ordered Night of Knives finally at long last and it should be here by end of this week or first of next!!!

can't wait can't wait can't wait!!! :biggrin:
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

woooo hooooooo!!!!
:nanaparty:

just had to share that whoop!

books arrived from Clarksworld today. MoI in the Tor trade paperback, my signed, limited edition of The Healthy Dead, and Night of Knives.

i may not be seen in scrabble circles for a few days!!! :biggrin:
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

:bwave: :letsparty: :bwave:

AWESOME! Mine should arrive any day as well...

Lucimay wrote:
i may not be seen in scrabble circles for a few days!!! :biggrin:
... darnit. :rant: :P

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Heh, I just finished NoK last night, and the thing that stood out the most to me was there is no chapter 4, and two chapter fives! Loved the main characters, BTW. Thank you Luci for getting it for me!
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

DAMN!!! I didn't know it had been released in the USA!!! I just saw it in Borders today!!! Gotta pick it up at B&N tomorrow!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Time for the T'lan Imass Happy Dance!!!!

Go Toolman!
Go Toolman!
Go Toolman!
It's your birthday!!!
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Very interesting stuff! :D I just LOVE Dassem, so that part of it is great. Temper is awesome.

And, of course, the whole taking of the Throne. Nice to see anything about that. I was surprised that so many knew right from the beginning that they were not really dead.

And I didn't realize Edgewalker appeard before... which? RG? And I only saw Possum in RotCG?

Kiska hasn't been around since, has she?

Anyway, when I told him I had bought it, Xar said it's a confusing book. I said, "A confusing Malazan book? No way!" Heh. But he said more than usual. And I guess it is, in ways. But it's short, so I guess it's workable.
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
Demondime-a-dozen-spawn
Giantfriend

Post by Demondime-a-dozen-spawn »

Finished NoK recently and gotta say I thought it was pretty bad.

Esselmont obviously has a different take on the world than Erikson, and i didn't like his take.

Other than the ultraviolence, the book seemed like your garden variety teen fantasy novel.

There were some passages that were good, but it overall lacked the flair and passion I get from Erikson's writing.

It's nice to have some more background on a character or three, and learn a few more details of the overall story arc, but man, I couldn't wait to finish that book and start on Reaper's Gale.

I do hope Return of the Crimson Guard is better than Night of Knives.
Meets or Exceeds International Humane Kill Standards.

Perpetual Motion or Until the Rubber Band Wears Out Motion

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”