11%
Reaper's Gale
No votes

Total votes: 18

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Best Book in the Series (so far)?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Someone had to post this poll eventually, heh.

So, which do you think was the best Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen so far? Vote in the poll, and explain why you think that book is the best.

As I'm sure I've mentioned elsewhere, I think the best book was House of Chains. This is at the point in the series where Erikson's characterisation was really beginning to work, with Karsa, Trull, and Onrack appearing, and the resumed storylines of Fiddler and Crokus. To follow the epic scale of Memories of Ice, and the tragedy of that book, is a difficult task, but Erikson pulled it off well, by picking up the story of the Fourteenth - an army under the shadow of Coltaine's legacy, having to cope with the expectations that come with following after something that is already the stuff of legends.
Much of the book is filled with this sense of being in shock, in recovery from what has happened previously, and the ending carries this feeling well.
And then there is the brilliant story of Karsa Orlong, probably one of the best characters that Erikson has created, an unstoppable barbarian with a sharp intellect that develops over the course of the book.
And throughout the story, the consequences of what went on in Memories of Ice - the House of Chains is ascendant, and its influence fills the book in all areas. The events shown in HoC were possibly the most important so far, and hold implications not only for what is to come, but for much that had happened previously.
Last edited by I'm Murrin on Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I'm going to wait to vote since I have only read the first four so far, and even then, it would be a difficult choice.

So far I think I would go with Deadhouse Gates, mainly because it's still the most vivid in my mind.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

I've skewed the poll, because I've only read the first two so far. :oops:

But Deadhouse Gates was such a quantum leap forward in execution over Gardens of the Moon that I had to mention it. I almost dropped the series trying to get through Gardens.

Deadhouse was a superb novel from start to finish. Memories of Ice is high on my TBR pile, and I've heard great things about it.
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

i cannot decide. DG was brilliant but the books just got more intensely brilliant from there. Bonehunters was amazing. i love them all. so many great characters to follow...
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I voted for TBH, though HoC is a close second. Obviously, I'm a big fan of Karsa... Tides would be second, since I think every book gets better, but I missed my fix of Karsa or the Bridgeburners.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

i think i just talked myself into voting Deadhouse Gates going on and on about Duiker...hee.

no wait...oh poo

i voted DG but but....dang, i still can't decide

EDIT: there's just TOO MANY omg moments in Bonehunters. i've decided that its my favorite so far.

i was reading back through looking for the honeydreams so i could address that question syl had regarding Crump...and i kept getting stuck reading this scene or that scene...good grief it's just a collection of perfect moments, one after the other!
Spoiler
fid in braventooths room as i've already mentioned
the card game, phew
the march of the bonehunters
Aspalar in Y'Ghatan
Paran's promotion
i could go on and on here...

Bonehunters, definitely.
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I voted for Deadhouse Gates. Duiker, Coltane, and the Chain of Dogs was an amazing story. :)
Love as thou wilt.

Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

I say Memories of Ice...but that's the most recent one I've read (just last week in fact), so for all I know I'll find myself speaking for House of Chains, Midnight Tides, or Bonehunters when I get to them.

But, in comparison with the first two, I just felt it was a much tighter and more powerful novel, that Mr. First Sword of the Imass Tool was simply the coolest character ever, and that certain passages involving the passings of characters diverse were the most moving of the series so far, even surpassing the Chain of Dogs story.

And honestly, the fact that a certain someone from DG popped in at the epilogue surprised me. I've actually found Erikson a tad more predictable than other fantasy authors (I don't mean BAD, I just mean that there's a good deal of foreshadowing of many events; Moon Spawn's attack was like *duhduhduh* for me), but that completely shocked me.

((I'll note that SRD also thought Memories of Ice was the best on GI, but I was not influenced by his opinion.))
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I just finished up House of Chains and it was a close second to Deadhouse Gates for me. I loved the Karsa storyline. :)
Spoiler
But the end of the storyline between the sisters felt somewhat flat to me. :?
Love as thou wilt.

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I voted for Memories of Ice. It's been awhile since I read them so I can't remember too much of my reasoning -- just that I thought at the time that MoI was the best executed of the bunch.

Not to say the others aren't cracking good reads, though. I *love* Karsa as a character. And the ending of the Chain of Dogs saga was brilliant. And "The Bonehunters" is starting to pull everything together, for which I'm grateful. :)

Can't wait for book 7 next spring! (It'll help tide me over 'til Fatal Revenant comes out in the fall, arrgh....)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Warden
Stonedownor

Post by Warden »

Had to choose tBH as the story, world, character, etc seem to get better with each installment and as mentioned previously it starts to bring things together. That said, the "Chain of Dogs" arc was compelling.

Judging by the speculation over at the other site Reapers Gale will be even better thereby confirming my previous statement (but getting back to the acerbic wit of Tehol and Bugg will also be fun).
When you can't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I just remembered that I never voted here.. MT spoilers below.
Spoiler
It was a hard choice between Deadhouse Gates and Midnight Tides. MT won, though ironically it was the book I expected to like least when I first started it. I think my perspective was that it was Trull Sengar's back story, and we already knew what happened to him... Yeah, I should've had more faith in Erikson.

First off, the humor: Tehol and Bugg were sheer genius. The Rat Catchers' Guild could almost have been straight out of Discworld - again, utterly brilliant.

The unbiased look at the story from both sides, Letherii and Tiste Edur - no good guys or bad guys here. Two stunningly intricate and real civilizations.

And as for drama, the cataclysmic sorcerous battle rivaled anything in DG - we've come to care about these people, and they're being obliterated. 8O

Creepy zombies, a look inside the Crippled God's twisted mind, the Azath, the Crimson Guard, the Forkrul Assail, the Kenyll'rah, Seren Pedac, Feather Witch and Udinaas... and I've probably left a lot out.
Edit: spoiler tags added.
Last edited by Sorus on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Warden
Stonedownor

Post by Warden »

We need another option in the voting - Reapers Gale.

I completed it a couple of weeks ago and it wins hands down. Erikson's writing gets better and better.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Warden wrote:We need another option in the voting - Reapers Gale.
Done. :)
But people who've already voted can't change it, alas.
Reaper's Gale is one of the best books, definately. Not sure if I'd rank it first--but it's a close battle.
Warden
Stonedownor

Post by Warden »

Bugger

I want to add why I think its the best, but this thread is not the place as spoilers would be required.
Marv
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Marv »

I'm surprised HOC hasn't got more votes. I've only read up to Midnight Tides but HOC has been by far the best so far imo. I'm gonna try and get round to reading Bonehunters this month.
It'd take you a long time to blow up or shoot all the sheep in this country, but one diseased banana...could kill 'em all.

I didn't even know sheep ate bananas.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Warden wrote:Bugger

I want to add why I think its the best, but this thread is not the place as spoilers would be required.
Eep. Should I spoiler mine? I kinda figured most folks voting would have read all of 'em.

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Yeah, I wish I could re-vote. <sigh> RG is now my fave of the series...all 909 pages of it....

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Ah, I found it. :biggrin:
Toll the Hounds is up there. Definately. Hard to really evaluate, but I think on par with Memories of Ice. One of Erikson's best.

Although, considering I said almost the same thing after Reaper's Gale, one must wonder...
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Memories of Ice!!!!

Which is really saying something, because I freakin' love Deadhouse Gates!!
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”