Pictures of Revelstone...and More

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

iquestor wrote:When you have a column that is 1000 feet high, how could the stairs not wrap around? the graphic doesnt make any sense, it looks more like a ladder there. I always thought they wrapped.. I looked at LFB's description, it doesnt seem to say.
Kevin's Watch doesn't go straight up. It leans out from the mountain. It is a \\ not a ||. So the stairs go staight up the steep slope on the upper side.
In [u]Lord Foul's Bane[/u] was wrote:There he saw that he was on the tip of a slim splinter of stone-at least five hundred feet long-that pointed obliquely up from the base of the cliff like a rigid finger accusing the sky. Stairs had been cut into the upper surface of the shaft, but it was as steep as a ladder.
Obliquely: not perpendicular; inclined

Click here: Image
Buckarama
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Buckarama »

Fine! I'm wrong! Be that way! And then, work for days just to prove it! :)

Good job on finding that!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I don't know ... the freudian symbolism involved makes me wish that Kevin's Watch was shaped somewhat differently. "Like a rigid finger acusing the sky" ... that's not my finger, he said.

Maybe instead of being members of Kevin's Watch, we should be watchers of Kevin's ...

I could go on all day. :0)
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

In [u]Lord Foul's Bane[/u] was wrote:There he saw that he was on the tip of a slim splinter of stone-at least five hundred feet long-that pointed obliquely up from the base of the cliff like a rigid finger accusing the sky. Stairs had been cut into the upper surface of the shaft, but it was as steep as a ladder.
Obliquely: not perpendicular; inclined

Click here: Image
The book cover did give the basic concept, but too bad it got everything else except the angle wrong.

I guess you could say the rocks behind the base of the watch represent the "base of the cliff" but IIRC those mts were much taller than the watch itself. From the size of the person, it appears to be about 25 feet high

Except that the Watch leans out at more of an angle, I picture something more like Lost Arrow Spire in Yosemite (can you all tell I love the place? :)

The whole cliff is about 3000 feet high. Imagine climbing down stairs on that!

www.wabnig.net/yosemite2/yos204.html

www.flickr.com/photos/wildography/10056 ... et-820925/

zephyr.unr.edu/zephyr/outdoors/out_dronkers_show1.html

(and of course, TC didn't think to bring his rapelling gear with him)
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Reave the Unjust
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Reave the Unjust »

That's certainly some spire!

Can you imagine the determination needed to carve that stair/ladder?
Reave the Unjust
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Reave the Unjust »

Or Revelstone for that matter!
jwaneeta
Bloodguard

Post by jwaneeta »

Relayer wrote: zephyr.unr.edu/zephyr/outdoors/out_dronkers_show1.html
I was looking at photos of Yosemite just yesterday, and thinking how well suited it is, in many ways, to serve as pictorial reference for the Land. The massive scale of the place dwarfs humans, which is something fantasy artists have used to convey the ascendancy of nature in the Land (I'm thinking specifically of the paintings dAN pasted).

But that last link gives me the wibbles. :) And I don't even have a fear of heights. If Kevin's Watch was anything like the Lost Arrow, no wonder Covenant was bonkers by the time he got down. :D
the rue of the melody could not be mistaken
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Relayer wrote:The book cover did give the basic concept, but too bad it got everything else except the angle wrong.
Yes, that picture is inadequate in most respects (especially scale), but it's the *only* picture that shows the Watch at an angle (that I am aware of).
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

Yea, and Lost Arrow doesn't quite do it either. I'm sure there are other spires around somewhere that would convey it too, but I couldn't think of one that I could find pics of quickly :) Like jwaneeta said, that one really conveys what it must've felt like to be up there...

Now I'm forgetting something... who did create the Watch, or at least carve the stairs? I don't think we have any history on it, other than "here Kevin stood..."
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Koriku
Servant of the Land

Post by Koriku »

...some of you have said 'create' the watch, others mention 'carving' out the stair. I have a hard time picturing any Earthpowerful being getting their chisel out to chip out the stone. I would guess that Kevin could've easily called out the stone to form the stair.
Kil Tyme
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kil Tyme »

According to the Author of the Atlas of the Land, SRD spent days with her going over maps and text, so I'm sure he "ok'd" or assisted with her view of Kevin's Watch.

Also, in the Atlas, there is no mention of who carved the steps or the floor, etc of the Watch itself. Only that the watch stands upon a leaning Spur of rock a "stones throw" from the last mountain.

Note: Sadly, the author of the Atlas of the Land, Karen Wynn Fonstad (a fellow Wisconsinite), who also created other popular fantasy series Atlases, died 11 Mar 2005 of cancer at age 59.
Cowboy: Why you doin' this, Doc?
Doc Holliday: Because Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Cowboy: Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.
Doc Holliday: ... I don't.
joedean
Servant of the Land

Library

Post by joedean »

Warmark wrote:www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/034531431X/ ... e&n=266239

I really want this book now, however a used copy for 35 quid? I dont think so.
I see that this is an old post, but I'm reading the entire series for free on my iPad kindle from my local library.
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Re: Library

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
joedean wrote:
Warmark wrote:www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/034531431X/ ... e&n=266239

I really want this book now, however a used copy for 35 quid? I dont think so.
I see that this is an old post, but I'm reading the entire series for free on my iPad kindle from my local library.
Welcome there, friend! And your frugal sagacity along with you!

Please feel free to say introduce yourself in this thread.

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Welcome joedean .. be welcome and true
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”