Elapsed Time in the Last Chronicles

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

Pastor Tim
Servant of the Land

Elapsed Time in the Last Chronicles

Post by Pastor Tim »

Just finished the Last Chronicles last night; I've been checking this site since I found it last October, when I began reading the LC.

I hope someone is still active here; it seems it's been a while.

My question is this: How long is Linden in the land during the Last Chronicles. I started keeping track of this throughout the first two books, but then stopped. If I remember correctly (and I may not; I left my books at home) it seems that:

Runes covers about a week
FR covers maybe 3 weeks (including the 2 weeks Linden is "back in time")
AATE covers about a week???
TLD covers maybe 6 days? (isn't there a reference to the sun not rising on the fifth day?)

If my memory is correct, this means the Last Chronicles covers about six weeks.

Not sure that this is the most important question ever posted here, but I have been curious.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I haven't added up all of the on-the-next-days in the text. But I am certain it is a brief amount of time. I feel it's about 3 weeks, but I am not surprised if it comes out to 4. (Discounting the 2 weeks in the past, during which almost no time passes in the present.)

I'm glad to see someone work it out.

And welcome to the Watch! I encourage you to post something in The Summonsing forum to introduce yourself. This draws everyone out of the woodwork for a warm welcome.
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
wayfriend wrote:And welcome to the Watch! I encourage you to post something in The Summonsing forum to introduce yourself. This draws everyone out of the woodwork for a warm welcome.
Sho'nuff.

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

wayfriend wrote:I haven't added up all of the on-the-next-days in the text. But I am certain it is a brief amount of time. I feel it's about 3 weeks, but I am not surprised if it comes out to 4. (Discounting the 2 weeks in the past, during which almost no time passes in the present.)
Actually, thirteen days pass for Linden's friends waiting for her in Revelstone while she's in the past.
In Part II chapter 3 of [i]Fatal Revenant[/i] , was wrote:"Manethrall," Stave countered, "if you will heed my counsel we will not consider the Mahdoubt until other concerns have been addressed. I do not desire concealment, either from you or from the Chosen. But I deem that the Mahdoubt's strangeness is less than urgent. The ur-Lord's fate, and our own straits, hold greater import."

"As you will." Linden felt Mahrtiir's nod. The mistrust which he had once displayed toward Stave was entirely gone. "I am content to speak of her when you find it condign to do so."'

Promptly Stave continued, "Then I will say to you Linden Avery, Chosen, that you have been absent from Revelstone for half a moon--"

"Thirteen days, Linden," put in Liand.

"--and have slept for two days more," the Haruchai went on. "In that time, we have feared for your life. And now that you have returned, we fear for the life of Land. Your words give us reason to conceive that the Unbeliever has failed."
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Wow, did I misremember that. Thanks, Cord!
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

It would be interesting to develop a timeline for the Last Chronicles and post it on the Watch. But I fear it would take HOURS to put together!

Return to “The Last Dark”