Gilden-fire from Daughter of Regals

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Avatar wrote:Well yes, sorry, I meant in the context of the chronology of the stories. The first time actually was in TWL and I remember being hell of a shocked, because I never got a hint of it in the first chrons.

--A
Were there any actual hints of it in the First Chronicles? Obviously SRD planned on that from the beginning of the series, but did any hints of it remain after GF was cut out?

Has there been discussion on this yet? Surely there has at some point here. ;)

-jay
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Donaldson has stated that there were no plans for the Second Chronicles planted in the first. (In fact, his arm had to be rather twisted just to consider a Second Chronicles.) Rather, Donaldson made use of insignificant details and made them significant.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

kevinswatch wrote:Has there been discussion on this yet? Surely there has at some point here. ;)
I think we discussed it before, but I can't remember the outcome. Pretty sure some people felt there were hints about it though, but if there were, I never picked up on them.

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

kevinswatch wrote:Has there been discussion on this yet? Surely there has at some point here. ;)
I think we discussed it before, but I can't remember the outcome. Pretty sure some people felt there were hints about it though, but if there were, I never picked up on them.

--A

The only "hint" I think we ever got in the First Chronicles that the Haruchai are telepathic is when First Mark Morin and Bannor stare at each other for a few moments at Rivenrock after High Lord Elena demands they decide whether they serve dead Kevin's wisdom, or the needs of the new Lords:
In chapter 23 of [i]The Illearth War[/i] was wrote:Slowly, Bannor turned toward the First Mark. They regarded each other in silence for a long moment. Then Morin faced the High Lord with a magisterial look in his eyes. "High Lord," he said, "we do not know the name of the Seventh Ward's power. We have heard many names-some false, others dead. But one name we have heard only uttered in whispers by High Lord Kevin and his Council.

"That name is the Power of Command."
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

The gap between the pack and the company shrank and grew as Grimmerdhore thickened and thinned. Through one tight copse Pren and his clan-kin had to fend off wolves on both sides. But fortunately the terrain beyond was relatively open, and the Ranyhyn were able to restore the gap.

During it all--the dodging, the surging pace, the unevenness of the ground--Lord Hyrim clung to his seat. He was kept erect by the proud skill of his mount. And the other Ranyhyn aided him by choosing their ways so that his horse had the straightest path through the trees. When he observed this, Korik applauded silently, and his chest grew tight with admiration, in spite of the other demands on his attention.
Pride in the Ranyhyn! I can relate, naturally! :mrgreen:

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”