I can't help but thinking...

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

What's the official THOOLAH position on Morn Hyland? I'm actually having a hard time putting up with her in the Gap into vision!
Not reading these at anywhere near the pace of TCTC, I know how interesting it gets though. sneaked a peak at an online synopsis, and am basically bored out of my skull waiting for the Amnion to make an appearance. I was kind of blown away about them and am beginning to see a streak of THOOMHH grow in me!
httpsss://www.barbarianclan.com
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by SleeplessOne »

I'm in the midst of a re-read of the Gap series for the first time in years (actually, listening to them on audio books).

Morn is like so many SRD characters; I find it difficult to sit in judgement of her because she has suffered so much - it is hard to imagine how one would react and behave after enduring so much torment.

If comparing Morn to Linden Avery, I would suggest Morn is generally the more decisive character; despite her damaged soul she seems capable of enforcing her decisions through action in a more streamlined manner than Linden.

Linden is definitely the more emotional of the two (you dont find Morn crying over the simple fact that she has friends, for instance).

Morn is more ruthless, manipulative when she has to be.

She's probably not the most compelling character in the Gap series (I find the pov's of Angus, Nick, even Davies and Hashi to be more engaging), but she quickly earned my respect, boardering on awe, for her displays of resilience and resourcefulness.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Morn is significantly "tougher" than Linden and considerably less introspective despite suffering more.

It is very interesting, as well, to note that both women have damaged pasts and sons who need to be rescued.

It is also interesting to note that both sons manage to free themselves.

The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

I'm a little late to this thread, but it seems like the gap between posts in the gap thread tends to be quite large, so...

Official position of me, a THOOLAH member, regarding Morn? I think she's a more interesting character than Linden. But I'm not talking about Linden, because it's been too long since I last engaged with TCOTC.

Regarding Morn's role in the story:
Spoiler
Ultimately, when one compares Morn to, say, the main character of Mordant's need (Teresa?) Morn has, at a few points in the series, a far stronger personality, IMO, literally taking command of an entire ship, captained by seasoned space pirates, and doing a superb job of it, despite having an implant that allows her to be controlled by anyone who has it. She even uses her implant, which is supposed to be used as a tool to enslave her, as an advantage, a weapon against those who seek to control her.

What could be more badass than using a mind control device, implanted in your brain, as a weapon? Lots of things, but it's still awesome!
The above being said, I think that how she is treated towards the beginning of the books is just exceedingly painful to read about. It's almost unbearable, one of the worst things about the gap series is trying to put yourself through the first book if you're in an even remotely emotional mindset and can put yourself in Morn's shoes. Where I was when I read it, I would say literally scarred my brain, and not in a good way. Practically made me a misandrist (sp?? means man hater). I embrace the pain I felt, as a man, seeing a woman, in words, going through slavery, guilt (over killing her own family), and rape. It keeps me tied to reality to remember that what happened to morn is unequivocally evil. But when I reread the gap series, I think I skipped the real story. Why experience that pain again? Well, it might be useful at some point, but not NOW.
Dragonlily
Lord

Re: I can't help but thinking...

Post by Dragonlily »

SleeplessOne wrote:I'm in the midst of a re-read of the Gap series for the first time in years (actually, listening to them on audio books)
SleeplessOne, I have been doing an internet search for the Gap books on audio. Where did you find them??
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by SleeplessOne »

think it was on Demonoid, Dragonlily ..
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Thanks, SleeplessOne. I checked out the site a bit, and couldn't find a search function -- is there one? I wonder that SRD would authorize a site with this look to handle his masterpieces.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Holsety wrote:The above being said, I think that how she is treated towards the beginning of the books is just exceedingly painful to read about. It's almost unbearable, one of the worst things about the gap series is trying to put yourself through the first book if you're in an even remotely emotional mindset and can put yourself in Morn's shoes.
That's basically my reaction, too.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I had that reaction to REAL STORY the first time through, but once I knew what it was leading to, I have eagerly reread the whole series many times.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

DRAGONLILY!! What an honor to finally get to speak with you! I have enjoyed a lot of your posts, and especially appreciate your efforts for setting up the threads to the Man Who books! :) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :letsparty:

I've only read the Gap series twice to date, but the second time I got through The Real Story much faster (I still don't care for that first Gap book, except for the illuminating Afterword), because I know the good stuff is coming!

For me, the story picks up my interest quite a bit once we encounter the Amnion midway in book 2. 8)
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I feel like the Gap universe gets bigger with each book, not only in square parsecs but psychologically. My favorite of SRD's works.

(Thank you. :-) )
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Ye gods and little fishes! DL! What a pleasant surprise. Where the hell have you been hiding. And you're going to start posting again, right? :D

Welcome back.

--A
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Hey, Av. :mrgreen: I'm more likely to spend time on line when I retire, which will be in less than 2 years.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

We can't wait that long. :D Start slow. Now. :D

--A

Return to “The Gap Series”