Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Crystal Singer

Post by Reisheiruhime »

Read this?
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

I have read three books. Crystal Singer, Killashandra and Crystal Line I think. These are some of my favorite McCaffrey books, actually.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Absolutely. CRYSTAL SINGER is one of my favorite McCaffreys, too. I love the way she describes the singing, and especially the crystal thrall.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I think this might be my favorite series by this author, too...I especially enjoyed the first book.
Love as thou wilt.

Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Yes. The setting on the Singers' planet has something to do with it, too, because my least favorite of that trilogy is the one where Killa was off vacationing or exploring a lot of the time.
Ermingard
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Ermingard »

I have just finished reading the crystal singer series and was surprised, in a good way. I have read several books by Caffrey over the years and I have found that I like her books when she deals with music in all it's forms. It is a subject she is good at and that makers her write better in my opinion.
"It is impossible for human nature to believe that money is not there. It seems so much more likely that the money is there and only needs bawling for."
--Dorothy Sayers, Busman's Honeymoon
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

I just finished Crystal Singer and read the 1st few paragraphs of Killashandra-- love the way it opens.

I enjoyed Crystal Singer a lot. My only critique is that I don't really get her relationship with Lanzecki, or the lack of family relationships, marriage or children appearing at all in the story. I am hoping that these become part of the story as it unfolds. I realize that because of the symbiont she will never have children, but any lack of real bonding with others makes the story seem incomplete, to me.

I thoroughly enjoyed the portrayal of cultural differences between citizens of various planets, and the portrayal of the effect crystal has on singers, and a lot of other things in the story and look forward to reading more.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

deer of the dawn wrote:My only critique is that I don't really get her relationship with Lanzecki, or the lack of family relationships, marriage or children appearing at all in the story. I am hoping that these become part of the story as it unfolds. I realize that because of the symbiont she will never have children, but any lack of real bonding with others makes the story seem incomplete, to me.
It's been awhile since I read the series, but IIRC, a big draw to the career for the singers is the fact that they lose their memories over time. I think McCaffrey is tying relationships, or the lack thereof, to memory.

Or am I missing something else regarding this which seems missing to you?

I will say the lack of children to singers was the gist of the email exchange McCaffrey and I had when I finished the series years ago. She told me,
Spoiler
"You're a "hopeless romantic, but what you hope for is not possible due to Killashandra's age, even at the end of the series."
Ah well...
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Uh, yeah, it's kinda hard to have families if you can't remember who they are or why they're pestering you. :lol:

I've got a couple of these...should re-read them.

--A
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

I started "Killashandra" and am enjoying so far. I guess what I meant is not that I need her to get married, but her relations even with Lanzecki seem rather clinical and cool. But I am interested to see how it plays out.

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

I really enjoyed The Crystal Singer. I thought Killisandra was a glorified romance novel set in space.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant

Post by Avatar »

The last one, (Crystal Line?) was pretty good.

--A
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

In the midst of Killashandra, I am thinking that Killashandra Ree has Borderline Personality Disorder. :)

As an aside, the copy I am reading has more typos than any paperback I have ever read!!! Seriously! Average one per page, some pages have several. It's a Del Rey Perma-Bound.

Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

deer of the dawn wrote:In the midst of Killashandra, I am thinking that Killashandra Ree has Borderline Personality Disorder. :)
Haha, good one. McCaffrey pretty much made aggressive females ok, in the sci fi field. I too think sometimes she goes overboard, but it does give women the chance to go overboard vicariously, while using better manners in real life.
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Dragonlily wrote:Haha, good one. McCaffrey pretty much made aggressive females ok, in the sci fi field. I too think sometimes she goes overboard, but it does give women the chance to go overboard vicariously, while using better manners in real life.
Hey, do you think that really works? *ferocious grin*
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

This series is good. I think the last one, Crystal Line, is the best of the three.

Post by Avatar »

Agreed. Was my favourite. Also the first one I read. :D

--A

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”