How do you feel today? v. 3.0

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Received both new broadband router and new phone today.

Router was a pain in the ass, because my PC kept refusing to connect to it. Everything else went fine. I've got it connected now but suspect it'll fail again next time I restart.

Got the new phone, charged the battery for a couple of hours, then discovered that it takes a micro SIM card, and I only have a regular one. I've requested a new SIM from my network, but it'll be a few days before I can set up the new phone.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Urg...I had issues with my router too when I installed it. I live in dread of having to do a re-install, because I can't remember what I did to make it work. :D

--A
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Frostheart Grueburn wrote:It is plain ice, but that substance can produce an incredible variety of forms. Some more macros from the same area here, in case 5-year-olds or others wish to discover more elusive frost-dolphins. :D
skilled... you sucessfully subverted my deeply-ingrained inhibitions of never clicking on links.
Others do not always have they inhibitions, so they ask, "hey, what's this 'here' here for?" (not an exact quote.)

I thought that the picture you most recently included upthread...
frostheart wrote:Another from the set that I really liked:
...was reminiscent of sending a message in a bottle...

There was debate as to whether this one was a dragon or a harpy eagle:

And I totally didn't swoon over how fractall-ey this and one or two others were:
Love the rich redness of the natural stuff underneath in a lot of these pictures...

[Edit: html-ish stuff fixed..]
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

I'll respond separately to some of the discussions above, but just a quick note that Fuzzpaw's owls have landed and delivered their cargo in good shape. ;) The owls are resting on the yard, enjoying some evening tea, and Fuzzy has been unwrapped from his brown protective wrappings.

Post by Avatar »

Definitely an eagle.

Too busy yesterday, went to some software product event in the morning for what looked like a competing product for something we've been planning to build, and it turns out we should probably not waste our time and money...what we've been planning, these guys have already built and are doing well with.

--A
Linna Heartbooger

Frostheart Grueburn wrote:I'll respond separately to some of the discussions above...
:thumbsup:
Avatar wrote:Definitely an eagle.
Then it's 2:2! (I voted "dragon.")
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Linna Heartlistener wrote:
Avatar wrote:Definitely an eagle.
Then it's 2:2! (I voted "dragon.")
That's a tough choice. The curved beak definitely looks like it could belong to an eagle, but the posture looks more like a dragon or hippogryph.

I think I'm going to vote hippogryph.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Post by Avatar »

You're not helping Sorus. :D

At least it's Thursday.

--A
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Wow, loving the frost photos! :thumbsup:
I'm gonna go 'eagle'
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Eagle, but the nestlings it's attempting to feed might be dragons. 8O

It's day 2 of my trip to Ireland. Yesterday I saw the Book of Kells (definitely not as cool as I thought it would be), bog bodies (creepy!), and a statue of the Children of Lir (some Watcher or another based a book on the legend...). Today, I stood inside Newgrange and surveyed the land from the hill at Tara. I also put my hand atop the Lia Fail, just on the off chance I was the true ruler of Ireland. Alas, the stone didn't shout, so I guess I'll have to keep the day job. :(

Tonight, I'm doing a storytelling tour aboard a double-decker bus, which I expect will be a thoroughly cheesy tourist experience. :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/

Post by Avatar »

Eagles for the win. :D

The Children of Lir are one of the three Sorrows of Irish Storytelling. All three of the stories are great, but my favourite is probably the Sons of Usnech.

Why wasn't Kells as cool as you expected?

--A
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Avatar wrote:Eagles for the win. :D

The Children of Lir are one of the three Sorrows of Irish Storytelling. All three of the stories are great, but my favourite is probably the Sons of Usnech.

Why wasn't Kells as cool as you expected?

--A
But Lugh was such an asshole to the sons of Uisnech. Granted, he had reason, but... ;)

(The third one, Deirdre of the Sorrows, is okay. But the Children of Lir is my favorite. :) )

The Book of Kells was kind of oversold. There's a big room with static displays, all about how the inks were made and so on, and some displays about other, similar ancient books. And then you finally get to The Book -- and it's two sections of The Book, under glass, each with a page showing. One is text with very little ornamentation, and the other is *not* the Chi Rho, which, let's be honest, is what I was there for. And that's it. They funnel you out and up a set of stairs to the Long Room -- which is, in fact, fully as impressive as one would expect it to be.

Anyhow, the storytellers' tour was canceled for lack of signups, so I got shoved off onto a cheesy scary-story tour instead. At least I got a pint of Guinness at the end. :lol:

Today, ,I toured a bunch of Brighid-related stuff in Kildare. Tomorrow, Kilkenny, and a meetup with u. :)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Sounds like fun!

aliantha wrote:Eagle, but the nestlings it's attempting to feed might be dragons. 8O
I hadn't noticed the nestlings, but yeah, that's going to make for some strange family reunions.

Linna Heartbooger

ooh, the "dragon vs. eagle" controversy...
someone reminded me "aaand hippogrypf" today.
so yes, hippogryph won some bonus points for contrarian-ness around here.
both with me (I wanted to change my vote) and at least one of the ankle-biters.

:lol: about adopted nestlings.
just hope they aren't fire lizards, or mommy-hippogryph - er, I mean dragon is gonna be super-busy.

and yes, ali's trip sounds mucho fun.

I've been having a day where my emotions have been all over the map... but a lot of stuff has been good.
(It's been a really sunny day, too. yay!)
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

aliantha wrote:just on the off chance I was the true ruler of Ireland. Alas, the stone didn't shout, so I guess I'll have to keep the day job. :(
that would've been amazing! I've never heard that story...mostly italian family.
Hope the rest of your trip is great! Beer at the end of tours is probably the best end I've heard of.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

celebrated our 22nd wedding anniversary today. went to see a play at our local theater.

today we go to Houston for some retail therapy. and we see Duran Duran tonight in the Woodlands.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Happy anniversary!

Post by Avatar »

Monday...here we go...

--A
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Glad people liked the frost-fotos (frotos?). :D

Ohhhh Ireland. I've yet to peruse the entire Southwest region, although Skellig Michael constantly clambers its way upwards on the list of must-see sights, partially thanks to housing a Jedi Temple. ;)
Have fun!
Linna Heartlistener wrote:skilled... you sucessfully subverted my deeply-ingrained inhibitions of never clicking on links.
Muahahahaha. Mission accomplished. :drevil:
Linna Heartlistener wrote:There was debate as to whether this one was a dragon or a harpy eagle.
It's a Hippogriff!
sorus wrote:
Frostheart Grueburn wrote:Do the witches of Lancre ever mount their broomsticks sans wearing three pairs of woollen underpants?
Ah, traveling in style. Though I can picture Nanny Ogg going commando.
(What? My mind is a weird place at the best of times.)
I could totally see her doing that, especially on Midsummer's Eve, or the Discworldly equivalent of thereof. Complete with Casanunda gazing upwards with a mesmerized expression.

Update on Fuzzpaws' Frostland adventures:
He hasn't quite adopted the superspeed-sightseeing scheme of my vacations, but we did manage to run out of museums here in my home town by Friday. Saturday was spent hiking in the countryside and perusing the Sammallahdenmäki Bronze Age cult site. After 17km of walking and a very late homecoming, we opted for a quiet, geeky Sunday celebrating early Vappu (May Day) and just watching DVDs. Fuzzy had to somewhat shush down my over-eager fangirling of Kylo Ren, though. ;)
I have to work, so this morning he journeyed to inspect the Suomenlinna fort in Helsinki. Looking forward to a nice restaurant dinner tomorrow evening to commemorate our first full year. :hearts:

We've witnessed quite a variety of weather phenomena during his stay; rain, sleet, bouts of very warm sunshine, stormwinds, hail, and this morning five centimeters of snow. Fuzzy's also started fancying Finnish/Nordic cuisine.
Photos will follow at some point; we however decided not to desecrate the main megalithic site with duckface selfies. Quack quack.
Last edited by Frostheart Grueburn on Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

aliantha wrote:Yesterday I saw bog bodies (creepy!)
Oh! I did bog body touring during Easter. :P

Return to “General Discussion Forum”