Did Saddith deserve what she got?

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

My point exactly. And yet, as was suggested, it's highly unlikely that Lebbick meant to do it, so, although poetic in a sense, justice it is probably not...

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Saddith absolutely did not deserve what happened to her, as far as the severe beating by Lebbick goes. She probably deserved to be thrown into the dungeon until she admitted what she knew about Eremis....but that's as far as her punishment should have went.
Merlanthe
Servant of the Land

Post by Merlanthe »

I think she deserved to be taken down a peg. Eremis may have manipulated her behaviour for his own ends and put her up to a couple of things but she had clearly grown overconfident with her ability to use her sexuality to get what she wanted. From what she tells Teresa about her past successes it seems she's never experienced any negative consequences from her behaviour up til now. As someone suggested earlier being kicked out and forced to make her way back to her own chambers naked would have certainly been publicly humiliating enough to make her think twice about her future behaviour.

Cord burn suggested she should have been locked in the cells til she admitted what she knew about Eremis and I definitely agree with that. Beating her til she was physically scarred was way beyond what she deserved.

I think it's important to note that the beating she receives doesn't just mar her physical beauty it also damages her hands. Saddith is a servant she needs her hands in order to work. I'm very certain mordant does not have unemployment benefits its a world where if you want to be able to eat, have shelter and warm clothing, you have to earn it and Saddith has been left with no way to earn anything besides pity and horror.
'If you like I can fetch RULERS and you two gentlemen can DUEL AT DAWN while the rest of us drown screaming..........'
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Nice to see you around Merlanthe. :D Yes, interesting point about her hands, although I would imagine that, in Orison at least, some sort of provision is made for those who can't work. Maybe. :)

--A

Return to “Mordant's Need”