How do you feel today? v. 3.0

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

I'm very envious Murrin. Les Mis is a show I really want to see. I know every word of every song - I have the 10th anniversary performance on video & CD and also on my music player that I listen to on the bus! Glad you enjoyed it. I've also been able to accompany some of the solos for the group that I play for which was a great pleasure.
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

It's a really impressive show! I was in a seat way up high in the upper circle, and though I was disappointed at first it actually gave a really great view down onto the big rotating stage, so you can see all the choreography that goes into it.

I went in knowing nothing at all other than the vague idea of the plot I picked up from references over the years. I did find myself thrown out of it a little by "I Dreamed a Dream", because it's such a well known song and tune I couldn't seem to appreciate it properly in the context of the show.
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Haven't you read the book? I read it after seeing the 10th anniversary performance. There is a lot more story in the book of course, and it explains the relationships a lot better, such as Eponine being Gavroche's sister. There is a lot more about the Thenardiers and it fills in the big gap between Cosette's adoption and her meeting with Marius.

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I've only ever seen film/stage versions in cinemas or on DVD, but I love the music and spectacle of it. I read the Norman Denny translation of the book, and it's been one of my all-time favourite reads. I'd love to have sufficient French to read the original but alas........
( I am Javert!)
Your politicians screwed you over and you are suprised by this?

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

lorin wrote:Hi everyone, been awhile and I think I owe an explanation. It's kind of "the world crashed into lorin" kind of story.

I am sorry this post is all about me. I will read back and catch up. I am going to be in Abq for the fest. Hope to see some of you there!
Holy smokes, that's just awful...so sorry... :(
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Been wondering where you were Murrin.

And RDHopeCa...feels like you've been MIA as well...

I actually got a decent nights sleep last night...so feeling pretty good.

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

There's a song there Av!

"I feel good!..." :7up: :rockband:

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Hospital appointment this morning. Ultra sound scan and they managed to aspirate 35ml of blood (1.8 fluid ounces). Not much change, still 3 x as large and hard and now a bit sore as well, but it's a start. I have to go every Tuesday for the next few weeks for more aspirating as the haematoma gets more liquid. It wasn't that much fun, not looking forward to next Tuesday.

But, they did say that there's no reason why I shouldn't come to ABQ in October. :nanaparty:

Post by Avatar »

Good news at least Io. :D

--A
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

lorin, ummm :hug:

That is intense.
I second your "If I didn't end up killing a baby with the car, everything else is cake."
(but, wow, yes, I think falling asleep thinking that would be... a mess.)

The loss of fine motor control sounds like it would be one of the hardest parts for you, because... jewelry-making... writing... art.
I read that and was like, "Noooooo!"

I hope you channel your energies into some sort of scheme to get to do creative stuff & use your creative vision nonetheless.
Or at least we can dream, can't we?

But oh, piles upon piles of things going crazy and being tough... and your dad's health too.

I'm about at loss for words, except.. love you!

As for how I'm doing this day... it's been a good day, but I fear I'm setting up for tomorrow to be an icky "I'm-tired" day.
I'm going to bed far too late the night before before... the first day of school! (tm)
I will just see how this plays out.

Io- I am glad to see you, too, are discovering the many MANY opportunities for body humor all that stuff provides!
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Thanks everyone for kind wishes. I'm a little shellshocked by the accident...still. And it drives me CRAZY when people say if you had killed the baby it wouldn't have been your fault. Are they kidding!?!?!

Learned a lot about the insurance system through this. The system in NY is called No Fault. You pull your medical bills from a fund of $50,000, beyond that your private insurance takes over. Everyone gets the same amount unless you carry a supplemental policy. My first surgery was $180,000 8O so insurance paid the balance. BUT if you are suing the other driver the insurance company puts a lean on your settlement. Not sure how I feel about that but I guess the insurance company is entitled to their money back.

Linna, I know how much you can appreciate how this is driving me nuts. But I can type, I just have to watch the keyboard for short spurts. I've returned to working on my novel. For me it's difficult to write creatively and look at the keyboard but I'm learning. Sometimes the fates put things in your path that send you in the direction you need to go.

Really looking forward to Abq. Watching the balloons rise at sunrise has been on my bucket list for a while.
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

rdhopeca wrote:I will try not to make this seem self-serving or overly sentimental, but...

Today my 9 year old son's best friend and siblings visited and we met them at a plaground, my 2 kids and the 4 of them. They recently moved away and were coming back to see people and get more of their stuff.

My son and his friend spent 2 hours wandering the playground talking and laughing and joking and running, and several thoughts occurred to me.

First, even though I'm sure it might have happened, I can't remember the last time I sat down with a friend and just chatted for even 15 minutes, never mind a few hours. I am sure when I was his age I might have had a close friend like that, but as many of you know, I moved virtually every year, sometimes two or three times in a year, and don't make friends easily, if at all.

Second, in this day and age of social media, it was awesome to see them just talk and be themselves.

Third, and this goes back to my first point, what a cancer on life loneliness is, to feel like you have no true friends; and this is all exacerbated by our online presences.

This is not to say that I don't love all my friends, Facebook and otherwise, but I have not had what someone might consider a close or intimate friend in years upon years...the closest lives 4 hours away and we chat every now and then and I visit when I travel...but that close friend to rely on? Not present in my life.

And what is the impetus to fix that in this day and age of distraction and superficiality...

Anyhow, I wanted to share that with somebody, and this seemed an appropriate place.
Just catching up to 6 months of posts. I'm not married but it would seem to me that marriage is insular. The demands of family and job make it hard to maintain/seek out friendships.

When I left my job, I lost most of my friends. Since my job was so demanding it left little time to find real friendships with more in common than work. The few I did have outside of work had long since faded away. Now that I am not working, and have no demands of family I have time to develop some friendships. I am learning that it is work to seek out, develop and maintain a friendship. I also think that what we require in a friendship changes as we get older. My biggest problem is learning to have girlfriends. I had, in the past, had mostly male friends. I am not comfortable with women (it's a mommy thing) so it is a learned skill.

But you have so many demands on you as a father and provider that it almost forces you to see your wife as your best hangout buddy. I think things can change but it won't be easy. If I remember correctly you had a similar 'move a lot' background to mine, which causes you to lose friends from the past quickly. IMO you should look forward to developing a new friendship and not look back to rekindling an old one. Just an opinion.
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

Avatar wrote: And RDHopeCa...feels like you've been MIA as well...

--A
I have been, Av. From a lot of things...
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."

Post by Avatar »

Back now though, right? :D

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I think the friendships we form here on the Watch are as valuable as any in their own special way. These friends are with you all the time wherever you happen to be, they place no demands on you and are simply happy for your company when you are able to give it. Sure we can't hook up and go to the cinema with ease, but just look a the E,fest thread to get an idea of the warmth of welcome the Watchers we capable of when they do meet. It's rare, it's beautiful and it's important.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Agreed, peter. And I've developed RL friendships with a bunch of Watchers, too, which is cool in a different way. :)

Io, glad you're a little better. rdhopeca, good to see you back here. Linna, I hope the first day of school wasn't too taxing.

lorin -- :hug:

As for me: My little trip was both good and bad -- or maybe blah and less blah. I went to my high school reunion, which I should not have bothered with, as nobody I hung out with in high school showed up. Stopped by Mom's house to pick something up; the place is in approximately the same condition it was in the last time I was there, except now there are clumps of moss growing all over the roof (which can't be good :( ). Drove from there to Michigan to visit with a good friend. Then drove from there to Canaan Valley, WV (7+ hours in the car, the last bit on twisty mountain roads :crazy: ) -- where I basically sat in my lodge room and chilled out for a couple of days. That was the best part of the trip, to be honest.

I'm cautiously optimistic that we may wrap up the estate here shortly. The lawyer did send me the document I needed to sign, and I signed it. Now if only my brother will do the same with his. There's still the house to be settled, but if he drags his feet again, I've got options. :evil:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/

Post by Avatar »

At least it's Friday. :D

--A
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

lots to catch up on. a few months ago my younger brother was in the hospital and requested a visit, feeling that this was serious. he is on the transplant list for his kidneys and pancreas. his liver is a mess, he is a type one diabetic. he has issues with his heart. when he is between dialysis visits his brain sometimes isn't so well, due to toxins. well he had an infection they could not regulate. turns out it was his bladder. all this at age 44. visit went well, saw my mom, sister, brother and his wife. (I had never met the wife) also got to see my best friend since junior high.

my brother recovered from the infection and is doing better.

I was saddened to visit my grade school and find part of my childhood in ruins behind the school. behind in the woods is a stream, someone decades ago dropped some rock there so we could cross. the rock is all broken.

work is a bear. few months ago we had floods in this area. the National Guide had to truck us to work for a week, through the flood waters.

now it is in the 100's. with no a/c, in a run down building. lots of fun. one of my former inmate cooks had enough, climbed a fan mounted in the hallway. broke a light bulb (long type) and slashed himself with it. I just missed that, as I was in the kitchen at the time.

we have been doing day trips around Texas, exploring sites where towns once existed, old grave yards and various museums.

not much else...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Harsh work Sarge: Respect!

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

peter wrote:Harsh work Sarge: Respect!
thank you. we had a food service manager (my position, we get the title of sergeant as well) killed within the last month. she was on a max unit, I am at an old, medium custody unit. in sixteen years I do not have a documented use of force, knock on wood. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “General Discussion Forum”