Fallout 4

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Got a few handy looking mods (which apparently disable the achievements, but that's fine, I don't care about that), but also sent me down a convoluted path...

First I had to update my NMM (Nexus Mod Manager)...which forced me to update my .NET framework before I could load the new version.

Then, because the newest version has changed so much, I had to wait while it automatically uninstalled and re-installed all my mods for all my other games before I could install my FO4 mods.

Then I had to install all those before actually being able to play.

On the plus side, they almost all seemed to work straight off, except for one which didn't break the rest of the game.

So all good. :D

Oh, except I learned that there are time sensitive quests...specifically the hostage rescue ones.

Got a quest to save somebody from raiders, and wandered round instead, did some others.

Suddenly I got a "failed" notification and I had to revert to an earlier save. Luckily I'd just been messing around for most of the time so don't have to redo anything important.

--A

Post by Avatar »

And there are some annoying cuts from FONV...

When you holster a weapon, which in FO3 and NV allowed it to appear either on your hip or slung on your back, in FO4 it simply disappears.

Why the hell would they cut something like that?

Also, no ammo crafting anymore. You need a mod to do it.

--A
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

No ammo crafting? My gunslingers aren't going to like that. I always take the Hand Loader perk and customize all the rounds.

No worries for me, though--by the time I am ready to upgrade the computer at the house I'll just buy the all-inclusive version which has all the right mods built in.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.

Post by Avatar »

Nah, you need 3rd party mods. But easy enough to find and install:

www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/top/?

About 35 hours in already.

--A

Post by Avatar »

Make that about 80 hours now... :D

--A

Post by Avatar »

Finished the main storyline, (well, one of the options (Railroad)) about 90 odd hours in.

Nothing much left to do except minuteman settlement building etc. and radiant quests. A few miscellaneous quests left over too.

Will get the DLC once it's properly on sale, otherwise mostly done.

Fun, but not as good, or as intense, as FONV.

--A
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

I never finished the main storyline. I found that once I'd got all the perks I wanted and upgraded my weapons and armour as far as they'd go, I didn't actually have much interest in finding out what happened in the story.

It just didn't grab me in the same way New Vegas did. Got 105 hours out of it, but I'd say it's a shooter game with RPG elements rather than an actual RPG, which is to its detriment, as the storytelling really suffered when you compare it to something like New Vegas (and even Fallout 3).
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, agreed. For all the hype, they still managed to dumb it down somewhat.

Too much focus on the whole settlement building thing.

And much as I liked being able to carry on after the "end" (unlike NV which had a definite end) I sorta missed the traditional follow-ups that previous games used to give you.

--A

Return to “PC & Console Games”