E'FEST OKTOBERFEST 2016 IS HAPPENING!!!!

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

dlbpharmd wrote:What route are you taking? Asheville is about 3 hours from me.
We'll be passing through Knoxville, which is close to you, I think. I'll PM you with the details.
aliantha wrote:You guys aren't stopping in DC? :(
We'll see you in ABQ! And anyway, DC is a whole trip in itself :-)

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I'm just being impatient. ;)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Uss....if you come through Denver area, look me up. I know October will be nuts with the number of guests we are having and such, but let me know if you and Lorin swing through the area.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Cagliostro wrote:Uss....if you come through Denver area, look me up. I know October will be nuts with the number of guests we are having and such, but let me know if you and Lorin swing through the area.
It was on my suggestion list since I learned you weren't coming. The whole mountain and Mohammed thing.

I also want a pic of us in front of each "Welcome to _____ State" but he is really fighting me on that one. I am thinking he thinks he is too important to waste his pics in such a mundane way. (But I will win)
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

That would be lovely and you would be welcome. But let me know if it is able to happen because there may be a few times that might not work out.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

lorin wrote:But I will win
:Hail: QFT...and how could any other outcome ever be contemplated?

;)
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

So update. Picked up the Irishman at JFk. He then got a nice dose of Long Island traffic. Left LI through lower Manhattan (yes, lots more traffic) and spent the night in Gettysburg. Its cloudy, cold and misty so Mike is right at home. Anyway, off to see the Gettysburg site, then head to Asheville.

Wave as we pass. :wave:
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

:wave:

Yes, I know I'm nowhere near there. I can still wave.

Have fun!

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I tried to wave, but y'all zoomed by too fast...

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Hi from Asheville. Had a lovely drive through the Blue Ridge mountains and are in Black Mountains (near Asheville) now. We went to a fun hipster bearded man bun cafe last night and had some good food and beer.

Stayed in a Super 8 and I am going to join a travel site just to give them one star. DISGUSTING and I'll leave it at that. Took pictures and all. Of course Uss thinks I am doing my J.A.P. over-reacting thing. I mean it was a damn 93 dollars and it was filthy! dirty! gross!

Anyway, off to tour Asheville then we are meeting friends in Nashville. Luckily we gain an hour in Nashville.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Eww. There's just no excuse for that.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Sounds like y'all are having fun... :D

--A
Tefazipipo
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Tefazipipo »

Frostheart Grueburn wrote:Afraid may have to pass this time. Plans to visit Japan, and Fuzzpaws stomping over to Gianthome coinciding with the fest-timing.

What happened to the notion about an eurofest, though? London/Copenhagen/Vienna, etc. remain within a relatively easy reach for a weekend trip, and that might be a chance to meet some of those Old World fans that have been unable to journey all the way to the realm of stars and stripes.
I live in Japan, and have already spent money on attending the Highlander 30th Anniversary Con set for December 3rd. *sigh* So I can't go.

When are you coming to Japan? Where in Japan? I'm a couple hours north of Tokyo.
On the internet, no one can see your evil smirk.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

lorin wrote:Stayed in a Super 8 and I am going to join a travel site just to give them one star. DISGUSTING and I'll leave it at that. Took pictures and all. Of course Uss thinks I am doing my J.A.P. over-reacting thing. I mean it was a damn 93 dollars and it was filthy! dirty! gross!
Your first mistake was staying at a Super 8. :lol:

Seems like the lowest price point for a decent hotel room in the US these days is $110-$120. You can find a few for around $100, but I'm just about resigned to the idea that a room at $90-$95 or below is gonna be nasty. Which is why, given the choice, I'd rather drive straight through or fly. Hotel costs will eat you alive. 8O

Amtrak is another good option. If you get a sleeper car, your meals are included. Plus there's no chance of anyone driving on the wrong side of the road. ;)

EZ Board Survivor

lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Had a great time in Nashville. Went to a place called Acme Seed and Feed. Wild wild town that does not have a grasp on managing the crowds. We were there during some sports game and a Beyonce concert. It was a madhouse. Pics to follow when I figure out some techno things. The traffic getting in and out rivals NYC and they have no real parking for all these crowds.

Had a bad day health wise yesterday and it forced a delay in travels. We went to Lexington, Ky. Beautiful beautiful place. Very manicured and lots and lots and lot and lots of horses. And I saw AMAZON! Where I send all my returns.

We had lunch with Zarathustra today and he is NOT the "Notorious Z" I thought he was. I will let you all in on a secret. He is a kind polite soft spoken gentlemen. I left with a very positive feeling after meeting him.

We are just south of St. Louis now. Saw the arch. Going to have to put in some serious miles the next two days due to the delay I caused. :?

Looking forward to seeing everyone in a few days! Yay!
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

aliantha wrote: Plus there's no chance of anyone driving on the wrong side of the road. ;)
Uh...you all drive on the wrong side of the road...

lorin wrote:We had lunch with Zarathustra today and he is NOT the "Notorious Z" I thought he was. I will let you all in on a secret. He is a kind polite soft spoken gentlemen.
Oh, say it ain't so...

:LOLS:

--A
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

I'm almost all packed, just odds and ends like kindle charger etc. to put in last minute. Going to my daughter's tonight and off to Heathrow early tomorrow. Should arrive in ABQ at 19.28 hours. A bit worried about tipping - taxi drivers, hotel people etc. Don't want to look an idiot. Any advice?
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I had a wonderful lunch with two beautiful souls and realized I should have been making more friends here a long time ago. Thanks Lorin and U! You made my day. I really needed that.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I thought you had been to an EFest already, Z. If not, yeah...you should go to one. Some of the best representation of humanity out there seem to be at these things. There are a few bits of the spectrum that I shy away from nowadays, but yes, I never fail to enjoy the company. And Lorin and Uss are two of the greatest.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Have fun, everyone.
Io: I think 10-15% is common, I did tip taxi drivers and it might be polite to leave a dollar or two for hotel room cleaners. At least that's what I've understood.
Tefazipipo wrote:
I live in Japan, and have already spent money on attending the Highlander 30th Anniversary Con set for December 3rd. *sigh* So I can't go.

When are you coming to Japan? Where in Japan? I'm a couple hours north of Tokyo.
Alas, I returned home four days ago, would have been nice to meet. Spent three weeks backpacking and certainly visited some areas befitting your description (Sendai, Aomori, Kakunodate...). I'm planning to return in a year or two however as missed so many fascinating places, so perhaps try again? :)
I'm finding the popularity of Moomintrolls rather funny, though; kept bumping into them everywhere, including what I though might have been a credit card ad glued to the door of a random metro train in Tokyo. :lol:

Return to “General Discussion Forum”