How do you feel today? v. 3.0

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

aTOMiC wrote:
Rune wrote:
Avatar wrote:Haha, the computer clear infected the vacuum cleaner. :D I'd say vacuum something else, but you can't. Hope you get sorted quickly.

Me, I feel like it's Thursday, but not only am I over this week, I'm over the whole damn year. :D

--A
I was a victim of the Evil Dust :twisted:

I feel like it's Saturday. The sun was uncommonly warm this morning while on my way to work, and made me much too drowsy. It's been a lawooong day. :wink:
Congratulations, Rune! THIS is your 1,000th post!!!!! :yourock: :LOLS: :nanaparty: :bwave: :cheers: :bestwishes: :banana: :7up:
:LOLS: 1000 + :S
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Avatar wrote:Haha, the computer clear infected the vacuum cleaner. :D I'd say vacuum something else, but you can't. Hope you get sorted quickly.

Me, I feel like it's Thursday, but not only am I over this week, I'm over the whole damn year. :D

--A
I'm fine with fast-forwarding to 2017 after Halloween. I like Halloween. Would not mind skipping the whole holiday season and all the awful music it brings on top of seasonal depression.

This week has been all circus, no ringmaster.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Congrats on 1000 posts, Rune! Go brag about it in the Mile-High Club thread. :)

Today has just generally sucked. Glad tomorrow's Friday.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

I have felt stressed and emotional a bunch today... I think it's because I just finished setting up my appointment for a mammogram on Monday.

But... I think I had one more kind-of-breakthrough with a student today.
Sometimes, I think that when I'm sort of.. emotionally-strained.. I'm actually more open to breakthroughs like that.
Sorus wrote:This week has been all circus, no ringmaster.
Booooo...
(season-themed pun unintended. at least, initially.)
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Good luck at your appointment.

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Feel tired. On the plus side, it's Friday and we're finally getting a little rain.

On the down side, my ginger cat is scared of thunder and lightning, so basically kept us up all night in the apparent belief that we could make it stop so he could go out.

--A
JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

Last day today at the temp job, and it's been a real good ten weeks. Looking forward now to a new enterprise beginning soon.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Avatar wrote:Feel tired. On the plus side, it's Friday and we're finally getting a little rain.

On the down side, my ginger cat is scared of thunder and lightning, so basically kept us up all night in the apparent belief that we could make it stop so he could go out.

--A
Well, why didn't you? Mine aren't bothered by thunder - or Fleet Week, thanks in part to the upstairs neighbors, who have the loudest plumbing in the world. They will give me a bit of a glare during an earthquake because those are my fault and they are not amused.

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Our cats don't appear to be bothered by thunder, either. Cats are weird.

So I mentioned yesterday in the "what are you doing here?" thread that I was debating whether to go to the firm's monthly social last night. It's always finger foods and booze and it's free. I'm always up for free food. But I was feeling antisocial yesterday and debated whether to go, right up until I was about to walk out the door.

Then I said what the heck, and turned around and went to the social. I figured I'd have a glass of wine and some munchies, and leave. I found a table out of the fray and plopped my stuff down there. The next thing I knew, five or six people had gathered around -- including our managing partner -- and I ended up having a good time and staying 'til the thing was over. So ya just never know. :)

Linna: Good luck with your mammo. I made an appointment for mine today (oh goody), on the 31st. The day's already going to be scary, so why the heck not?

Rune: Good luck with your new position, wherever that ends up being.

MagickMaker also wrapped up a long-term temp job today. I don't think the temp firm has found her anything else yet, but she can drive for Uber if things get dire. In the meantime, we're supposed to go to the RennFest tomorrow. Turkey legs and mead -- what's not to like? :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

Strange days at the RSPCA shop this week. I do a Thursday (which was my day off from the 4dayweek temp job), and the Saturday afternoon (also a day off, when counting the weekend). So it's been a bit of a slog these past weeks having very little time to catch up on the mundane stuff, like groceries, laundry, house maintenance ... etc.

So anyway, the shop was robbed a few days ago. The Crimbo apparently broke in through the front door then made off with the Dog'n'Cat donation box. The police recovered the box which had been flung over a wall a hundred yards or so up the street from the shop - they might get prints or dna from the damage inside - and will return our mascot duly.

On the upside, on the Saturday before the robbery, I took a donation of a money (a plastic water bottle containing _50 pounds in loose change), putting all the dross into bank bags instead of dropping it coin by coin into the Dog'n'Cat. The money was safely deposited into the bank.

Nowadays a doctor's sick note is enough to swing a verdict not-guilty. And as Queen Liz happens to be the royal patron of the RSPCA foundation, robbing one Her shops isn't really the same as robbing from the Royal Mail (or poaching a swan for that matter) and likely, if the thief is caught, then a low level criminal act like stealing from charity will probably be a fine or a severe slap on the wrist.
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

IN a case like that, I would hope he'd get community service in a pet shelter, cleaning poo for a month or so. Partly for the humiliation, partly because he'd realize that dogs and cats oughtn't be robbed from.

I just saw a clip in the news about a former gang banger who spent 7 years in juvenile detention and now catches endangered butterflies for a breeding program. It changed his life because it gave him a chance to do something good. He adores the butterflies genuinely. Honestly I think half those gang psychos just haven't ever had a chance to love or to do others good.

Anyway I feel relaxed. (I posted why in the What are YOU doing here? thread.) :D Yay!!!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

deer of the dawn wrote:IN a case like that, I would hope he'd get community service in a pet shelter, cleaning poo for a month or so. Partly for the humiliation, partly because he'd realize that dogs and cats oughtn't be robbed from.
I have mixed feelings about that, since the sort of people who would do that kind of thing aren't necessarily people I'd trust to be alone with the animals. (And at least at the shelter I volunteer at, poo-cleaning is left to folks with veterinary training because that's the first place we're likely to catch health/behavioral issues.)

JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

Sorus wrote:
deer of the dawn wrote:IN a case like that, I would hope he'd get community service in a pet shelter, cleaning poo for a month or so. Partly for the humiliation, partly because he'd realize that dogs and cats oughtn't be robbed from.
I have mixed feelings about that, since the sort of people who would do that kind of thing aren't necessarily people I'd trust to be alone with the animals. (And at least at the shelter I volunteer at, poo-cleaning is left to folks with veterinary training because that's the first place we're likely to catch health/behavioral issues.)
I think DotD is missing the point.
I wanted to post some pictures of the shop front in the Halloween Thread, but here seems fine.

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I think she got the point, I'm just a bit more cynical about human nature. All for community service that benefits the shelter, but less likely to believe it would make the perpetrator a better person. I could be wrong - I hope I'm wrong.

Post by Avatar »

Sounds like a weekend was had by all. :D

Feel...meh...not sure how I feel...

--A
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I got through Tuesday, which is worthy of something. Maybe.

It's a short week at work for me, as I'm off Thursday and Friday for World Fantasy Convention. Today, the firm FINALLY hired someone for the vacant secretarial position. You may recall from our last exciting episode that I inherited Ms. Needy when the departed secretary left the firm in May. It was supposed to last only until August, but predictably, here we are in October and I'm still supporting her. The situation was about to make my head asplodey. :crazy: So I'm grateful it will only last another couple of weeks.

So there was a situation related to this that nearly got out of hand today. Another secretary on our floor approached me last week about how many people I have, and offered to take one of them off my plate. I offered her Ms. Needy and she wouldn't bite. :lol: No, she had someone else in mind -- and the guy she suggested actually gives me substantive assignments occasionally, so I don't want to give *him* away. Anyhow, I thought I'd been clear when we spoke, but apparently when I said, "I'm so swamped but I don't see any way out of it 'til they hire someone new," she heard, "I'm so swamped -- of *course* you can take the tall guy, and thank you!" Today she emailed Secretarial and told them she'd like to take on Tall Guy, and that I was fine with it. And I replied, "Actually, I'm not fine with it." So then she and I sat down and hashed it out, and she felt awful for not understanding what I meant, and I felt awful for being a lousy communicator. But it's all good now.

Whew. Nothing like a little workplace drama...

EZ Board Survivor

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I keep thinking it's Wednesday, which is unfortunate. Also expecting an elevated level of workplace drama this week - and after trying and failing to explain why, I realized things have reached a level of absurdity that actually can't be described.

Post by Avatar »

It is Wednesday. In fact, it was already Wednesday when you posted that. Here anyway. ;)

I feel good mostly, just a bit short of sleep.

--A
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

If we all lived in the future, it wouldn't be the future.

JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

Return to “General Discussion Forum”