Login snafu

Main forum for site announcements, suggestions, and help.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Vain

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Login snafu

Post by aliantha »

Anyone else having a problem with this? I have the box ticked to log me in automatically every time, but every now and then I have to log back in. Then I can't use the "orange dot tree" to figure out which posts are new.

I know there's another way to check new posts. That's not what bugs me -- what bugs me is having to log in when I've got the "log me in automatically" box ticked. :evil: Is it maybe because I sometimes log in on a different device? It didn't use to make a difference whether I checked from home or work. But I use my iPad occasionally -- you think that might be doing it?

Anyway, it's annoying.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Don't know off hand. That automatic log-in is almost certainly cookie based, so if you clear them, or maybe if it expires, you'd have to log in again.

What's "every now and then?"

(I don't use it... I log in manually every time.)

--A
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Certainly it will only work when you use the same browser on the same computer. (Of course, you can probably enable 'remember me' on several different ones.)

Yeah, clearing cookies would probably undo it.

Sometimes there is also a maximum amount of time that you can login in this way before server security wants you to re-verify you are who you say you are. I am not sure if it's true for KW, but I would not be surprised.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I haven't cleared cookies on any device in quite some time -- so unless some utility is doing it for me, that's not it. I wouldn't be surprised if my workplace had some stupid cookie-clearing rule. But judging by the time stamp on my original post, it happened to me on my home computer.

But it sounds like it's just me, so I'll just have to put up with it. Boo. :(

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I log in manually and my browser is set to delete cookies after every session, but I do see the 'orange dots' every time I log in. One minor (and probably unrelated) glitch I have noticed a couple of times recently is that there is sometimes an orange dot but no actual new post. Perhaps someone deleted a post? It's not frequent enough to be an annoyance, but now I am curious if it's happening to anyone else.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Sorus wrote:I log in manually and my browser is set to delete cookies after every session, but I do see the 'orange dots' every time I log in. One minor (and probably unrelated) glitch I have noticed a couple of times recently is that there is sometimes an orange dot but no actual new post. Perhaps someone deleted a post? It's not frequent enough to be an annoyance, but now I am curious if it's happening to anyone else.
Not a new glitch. Usually it's exactly what you thought it was -- somebody posted and deleted it.

EZ Board Survivor

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Lately there's definitely an issue where sometimes opening a thread with new posts will mark all those posts read, so you have to remember which ones were not there before or look at the dates.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hmmm, what I've been having is that opening a thread with a new post will mark some of the other threads in that forum as read...

*sigh*

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

ali, are you verifying the sign in automatically box is ticked when you need to manually log in?
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I did this last time, and it wasn't. And I've never unticked it manually.

EZ Board Survivor

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

for whatever reason it took me four or five times to log in this time, even though I entered the same info each time.

I thought maybe you all were trying to tell me something.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “Announcements + Suggestions + Q&A + Help”