Jerusalem by Alan Moore

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Jerusalem by Alan Moore

Post by peter »

Better known for his graphic novels, Moore has also written a large historical (?) novel of the above title. I'm not generally influenced by the blurb of a book - but one notable exception to this was the Chrons, that I bought on first finding it in a Plymouth bookshop and was pulled in by the "Comparable to Tolkein at his best" line on the cover. (Never having read Tolkein one has to wonder why, but such are the workings of the young mind.) The blurb, however on the back of Moore's million word box set was of a different order altogether. Only Shakespeare it appears has ever come close to producing such a work - and having an already great admiration for his talents, I'll bet the novel does indeed have something special to raise it above the common herd. By coincidence I also happened upon Moore's book in a Plymouth bookshop and so it really is a done deal. I'll let you know how I get on .........
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

sounds interesting. Let us know if it's worth it. I do like historical fiction.

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Did you ever read Neal Stephenson Av? His works seem to have won some praise in this area, but in a sort of genre crossing way.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

Only read Snow Crash and Diamond Age. Wouldn't call them historical fiction...

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I started to read Quicksilver , the first book of The Baroque Cycle, which was Stephenson's well received historical series. Alas, at the time I was not perhaps of a mind to give it my full attention, so did not proceed very far with it - but I could certainly see it's undeniable quality.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

Hmmm, will keep an eye out for them. Enjoyed the two I read, Snow Crash more than the other.

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Re Jerusalem Av; definitely a book for you. A million words in length, ten years in the writing, it spans centuries in its story arc and weaves characters historical, fictional and mythical into its convoluted structure. The book is made for a perceptive reader able to cover ground at speed, thus being able to hold on to, and make the connections which abound in its detailed narrative structure. This has been claimed as Moore's masterwork (no small thing from the mind that gave us Watchmen, V for Vendetta and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) and on 100 or so pages of reading I'm beginning to get the idea of the scale of the work. Gentle reading it ain't, but Moore never was one for the faint hearted and as long as one can cope with his undoubted vulgarity, changes of style and less than politically correct sense of humour, then I think one is in for a rollercoaster of a ride!

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

Definitely sounds like something I'd be into.

Will keep an eye out for it.

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Do try Av; this may......may......be one of the great books - I don't know. Whatever the case, I think I'm going to need help with this one! 8O

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “General Literature Discussion”