Star Wars: Obi Wan didn't have to be a liar

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

Khaliban
Watchman, Second Class

Post by Khaliban »

I feel the real answer is more practical and more cruel. First, Obi-Wan didn't know if Anakin could be saved. Luke needed to destroy the Sith, that included Vader. Second, Luke had an idealized, almost mythic, view of his father. If he had known from the beginning, he might have approached Vader with the truth before he (Luke) had the strength to resist the Dark Side. Vader could have turned him easily. As Yoda said, he was unprepared for the burden.
"This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put."

Smashwords: Discovered Mate: A Tale of Desire and Chess

Some Stories: FanFiction or Archive Of Our Own
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Nice interpretation. :D

--A
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Khaliban wrote:Second, Luke had an idealized, almost mythic, view of his father.
I'm not sure believing his Father was a navigator on a spice freighter classifies as mythic but I get your point.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Cagliostro wrote:I get your point, Tom, as I felt terribly betrayed by Obi-Wan as well. And then I just found it dumb that Leia was Luke's sister. But I felt like Obi-Wan lied, same as you. It made me angry at Ben at the time.

God love you for that, Cags. Thank you. :D

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Excerpt from "The Secret History of Star Wars" by Michael Kaminski
...Later on, as more and more sequels were made, new meaning was retroactively inserted into existing scenes. When Vader was revealed as Luke's father in Empire Strikes Back, it raises a lot of questions, namely who as lying, Vader or Kenobi? I turns out the bad guys tell the truth, and now when looking at the scene where Luke asks Ben of his father the scene plays totally different--the pause Alec Guinness took to deliver Luke the heartbreaking news that his farther was murdered by Vader, Kenobi's own student, now reads as him pausing to make up a lie."
Gosh it feels good to find people, other than myself, that agree with me. :biggrin:

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Kenobi was using "alternative facts".
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS:

--A

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”