Name Pronunciation

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

shadowbinding shoe wrote:No worries Cord Hurn.

I'm not a native English speaker and wasn't familiar with the femalish name 'Joyce' so it didn't bother me the way it did you.

Here's a name-meaning link: www.behindthename.com/name/joyce. Seems it's not strictly a female name and contain both the meaning rejoice and lord. The earlier male version was spelled Josse. I'm not sure how Medieval pronounciation makes it sound. Probably Germanic sounding.

I had no idea that Joyce was not exclusively a feminine name, Shadowbinding Shoe! Thank you for the link and your understanding! LOL, I'm now realizing that we can all pronounce the names as seems good to us. 8) I apologize for making much ado about nothing! :Hail: :mrgreen:
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

I recently re-read these books and surprised myself by switching to a soft G for Geraden. I tried out the soft G when I first saw "Geraden" and it stuck. Did the same for Artagel, but the hard G stuck with him. Also, Margonol picked up a hard G on this last re-read (I was traditionally a margin man).

Forget who said it, but I like the idea of pronouncing Myste as rhyming with "feisty"--but I don't that one woud stick in my head, either :P

For those in the long E camp, would Nyle be NY-lee? 8O
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hard "G's" for Artegel and Margonal, soft for Geraden.

--A

Return to “Mordant's Need”