Use of Loot Boxes in Console Games

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Use of Loot Boxes in Console Games

Post by peter »

A friend at work who keeps up to speed with most of the new big game releases was telling me this week that in the last twelve months barely a new one had come out that did not make extensive use of 'loot box' options as a central plank of it's gameplay. He thought that this was doubly pernicious, firstly because of the introduction of a 'random loot box', where the paid for in hard cash benefit might be small or large, and the process became effectively a foem of gambling with all of the attendant risks that entails, and secondly because progress through the game could effectively be bought rather than achieved, and in online multiplayer game scenarios this had a detrimental effect on the quality of the play.

This is a phenomena that as a single only, and never online player I have never encountered and I wondered if any of you guys have any thoughts on it?
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

You're not the only one finding it so.

ESRB says video game loot boxes don't qualify as 'gambling,' despite similarities
It certainly plays on the same human weaknesses to make money as gambling does.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

They're not even restricted to multi-player. IIRC, some of the recent Assassin's Creed games had a very similar mechanic. You don't have to use it of course (I never do), but its very existence is offensive to me. :D

I saw recently that the UK government may get involved in the question: https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/15/1647 ... egality-uk

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Given the access that kids have to gaming stations, I'd have thought some serious regulatory mechanisms were in order.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “PC & Console Games”