keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Gazan Christians say have no permits yet to visit Jerusalem at Easter
FILE PHOTO: A worshipper lights a candle as she visits the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem's Old City January 22, 2018. REUTERS/Ammar Awad/File Photo

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Christians in the Gaza Strip have yet to receive any permits to go to Jerusalem to celebrate Easter, they said on Tuesday.

The Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem said church authorities had applied for around 600 permits for Gazans to travel, but had not received any, three days before Good Friday.

[…]

"Israel is a sovereign state and it has the right to decide who will enter its gates. No foreign residents have an inherent right to enter Israel, including Palestinian residents of the Gaza Strip," a Civil Administration (COGAT) spokesman said, without saying whether permits would be issued this year.

[…]

Father Ibrahim Shomali, chancellor of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, said worshippers should not even be required to get permits.

"We have to have free access to the Holy Land, free access to our holy places," he said at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, revered as the site of Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection.

"Of course we apply, but in reality there must be no applying for permits to come to visit your own places."

[…]

Christian leaders said U.S. President Donald Trump's decision in December to recognize Jerusalem - sacred to Judaism, Christianity and Islam - as Israel's capital could embolden Israeli authorities' restrictions to their holy sites.

"(Israel) will close every single checkpoint, and this will be more strict than any other year because of the proclamation of Trump and the effects we got from it, and that we will get from it," Shomali said.

[…]

Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

People still venerate "holy places"? Why? There is no reason for Christians to venerate a particular place just because something might have happened there.

Thinking that people, places, or objects are "holy" is actually animism...but that is a topic for The Close (not that I go there).
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Hahaha .. thats your opinion only Hashi. Many religions deem objects sacred ie places sacred, walls sacred, trees sacred, grails holy and even some animals sacred.

Because you and I do not have that same understanding with respect to these practices .. perhaps noting that it is a strangely human thing to do ..

I note here the site of a vehicular accident that claimed a life are often visited by close friends and family. Its nothing more than a geographical location to me but to them it signifies their love for what they lost. Graveyards and tombstones are places humans go with the intent of making a connection with a friend or family member now deceased.

Its considered here a criminal offence to desecrate a grave .. or graveyard. I guess to respect the connections human seek with their long lost loves.

I think its an odd thing .. though their is probably psychology that explains it.

The wailing wall is one of these places. Its a difficult balance but even governments acknowledge that these are important sites to the religious. I have no desire to disrespect that need or that seeking for connection.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

You are probably correct--it's just me. I am not that...connected...to places.

Or people.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:You are probably correct--it's just me. I am not that...connected...to places.

Or people.
You'd make a lousy internet server.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Why does the recognition that Jerusalem is the capital of Israel exclude any possibility that the parts that are Palestinian can also be referred to as Palestine's capital (when and if that state gets established)?

Most experts agree that parts of Jerusalem will have to be under Palestinian control in any peace settlement.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Both sides really want to control the entire city and they see any part of it being under the control of the other side as unacceptable.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Both sides really want to control the entire city and they see any part of it being under the control of the other side as unacceptable.
Then they'll never be a peace.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Unfortunately, you are correct.

There could be a peace and there are two relatively straightforward ways to attain it. 1) Both sides stop all fighting an never start it again or 2) They fight it out to the last person, winner takes all. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for option 1 and no one really wants to see, or engage in, option 2.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Unfortunately, you are correct.

There could be a peace and there are two relatively straightforward ways to attain it. 1) Both sides stop all fighting an never start it again or 2) They fight it out to the last person, winner takes all. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for option 1 and no one really wants to see, or engage in, option 2.
Unfortunately I don't see Israel moderating it's position in the coming decades; as Israel's ultra orthodox population has a much higher fertility rate... so if current trends continue then Israel's politics is going to become much more religious and right wing.
Kizza
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kizza »

They'll breed 'em out?
Never fight fair with a stranger, boy. You'll never get out of the jungle that way. - Arthur Miller
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Kizza wrote:They'll breed 'em out?
*shrug*

https://forward.com/scribe/391516/who-a ... of-israel/

www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/216254

I support Israel and a home for the Jewish people; however I repeat the argument I quoted before; If a Jew born in America or Europe has a right to a homeland in Israel, then a Palestinian born in Jerusalem has that same right.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Unfortunately, you are correct.

In which case there's going to be a sort of eternal stalemate...people will continue to be killed, oppressed, etc.

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Revan wrote:
Kizza wrote:They'll breed 'em out?
*shrug*

https://forward.com/scribe/391516/who-a ... of-israel/

www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/216254

I support Israel and a home for the Jewish people; however I repeat the argument I quoted before; If a Jew born in America or Europe has a right to a homeland in Israel, then a Palestinian born in Jerusalem has that same right.
Agreed
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Israel to restrict entry of Gaza Christians for Easter
Catholic clergy walk during the Washing of the Feet procession at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, traditionally believed by many Christians to be the site of the crucifixion and burial of Jesus Christ, in Jerusalem, Thursday, March 29, 2018. (Credit: Mahmoud Illean/AP.)

JERUSALEM &#151; Israeli authorities said Thursday that they have decided to block most of Gaza's small Christian community from entering Israel for Easter celebrations, citing security concerns.

[&#133;]

COGAT, the defense body that oversees Palestinian civilian affairs, said it will let only Christians aged 55 and older and children under age 16 enter Israel for Easter, which is celebrated by Catholics on Sunday and Orthodox Christians the following week. It said the restrictions were needed after previous cases in which Gazan visitors overstayed their permitted time in Israel.

A Christian leader in Gaza said the restrictions mean that only about one-third of the community's 1,100 members will be allowed into Israel to celebrate. He said he was disappointed because his children would not be able to see their aunts in the West Bank city of Ramallah. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he did not want to jeopardize his own entry permit.

Wadie Abunassar, a Catholic Church official, called the restrictions "very sad" because Easter is a family holiday. He said it was "not reasonable" to allow a mother and father to enter Israel, while "leaving their children back in Gaza," and urged Israel to reconsider.

[&#133;]

Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I am more concerned about the protests at the Gaza border, which has the potential to become a disaster very quickly.
Seven Palestinians were killed and some 500 were wounded by Israeli tear gas, rubber bullets and live fire in the Gaza Strip on Friday, as a series of massive protests intensified along the security fence surrounding the Hamas-controlled enclave, Palestinian sources said.

The Israel Defense Forces estimated that 20,000 Palestinians were taking part in "March of Return" demonstrations along the Gaza border, focused at six main protest sites where rioters threw firebombs and stones at troops and burned tires.

Six were reported killed in escalating violence by the Hamas-run Gaza health ministry, hours after a Gaza man was killed at the border in disputed circumstances.

The IDF did not confirm the Hamas death toll figures. In a statement reported by Israeli Kan TV, the army said organizers of the protests were deliberately trying to place civilians in harm's way, and cited an incident in which it said a seven-year-old girl was sent to the security fence in an apparent cynical attempt to draw Israeli fire, but was spotted by troops who realized what was happening and ensured she was not hurt.
When your side is essentially offering up children as pawns, hoping that the other side will accidentally shoot them in order to generate support for your side, then you side is clearly in the wrong.
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
Hashi Lebwohl wrote:I am more concerned about the protests at the Gaza border, which has the potential to become a disaster very quickly.

[&#133;]
Worrisome, indeed.

&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;

Israel: United Nations chief 'deeply concerned' with Gaza violence as security counsel meets
Mr Guterres speaking at a climate conference last year AP Photo/Martin Meissner

Diplomats say they are concerned after at least 15 people were killed during protests

The chief of the United Nations is "deeply concerned" with the clashes between Palestinians and Israeli security forces that have left at least 15 people dead along the Gaza fence, and has called on an independent investigation.

A spokesperson for UN Secretary-General António Guterres said that the top UN diplomat is concerned that violence might escalate, and urged nations to to avoid further casualties.

"The Secretary-General calls for an independent and transparent investigation into these incidents," Farhan Haq, the deputy spokesman for Mr Guterres, said in a statement.

"He also appeals to those concerned to refrain from any act that could lead to further casualties and in particular any measures that could place civilians in harm's way," he continued.

The statement came after calls for an emergency United Nations meeting Friday with the UN security counsel, where nations were expected to try and hammer out a response to the violence.

At least 15 were killed and more than 1,000 more were injured during the violence, which erupted Friday as Palestinians gathered along the Gaza fence for a sit-in to honour the anniversary of Palestinian "Land Day", which marks the start of a month and a half's worth of demonstrations over lost land in Gaza.

[&#133;]

Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Hamas: Gaza protests show Trump that Jerusalem decision will never be accepted
Relatives carry the body of farmer Amero Samor, 27, during his funeral, in front of his family house in Khan Younis, Gaza Strip, Friday, March 30, 2018. AP Photo/Adel Hana

Palestinian factions say the Gaza protests are merely the starting gun on six weeks of demonstrations

Hamas warned on Friday that the thousands of Palestinians confronting the Israeli military along Gaza's border with Israel are sending a message to US President Donald Trump that Palestinians will never accept his recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital or support any "concession" in Washington's mooted peace plan.

A united front of Palestinian factions in Gaza say the mass protests (LIVE BLOG) -- dubbed the 'Great March of Return' -- are merely the starting gun for six weeks of demonstrations, leading up to the inauguration of the new US embassy in Jerusalem on Israel's Independence Day.

The Israeli military said 20,000 Palestinians were taking part in the rallies across the coastal enclave, with at least seven shot dead by Israeli fire and hundreds injured, according to Palestinian health sources.

The march "proves to US President Donald Trump, his [peace] deal and everyone who stands with it that there will be no concession on Jerusalem, no alternative to Palestine and no solution but to return," Hamas chief Ismail Haniyeh said as he visited the teeming tent camps.

[&#133;]
&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;&#151;

Easter message of Christian Church leaders of Jerusalem
Crosses outside the Holy Sepulcher Church in Jerusalem. (ANSA)

Thirteen patriarchs and heads of Christian Churches in Jerusalem are praying that those suffering in the Holy Land and across the world may find hope, peace and life in the Cross.

Heads of Christian Churches in Jerusalem have issued an Easter message offering their prayers for those suffering across the world for various reasons, that they may find hope, peace and life in the Cross of Christ.

Thirteen patriarchs and heads of various Christian denominations in Jerusalem released a joint message on Friday, as violence erupted between Palestinians and Israeli security forces along the Israeli-Gaza border.

The Cross &#150; way to hope, peace, life

"We pray to almighty God that people who are walking in the way of the cross may find it the way of hope, peace, and life," said the Easter message signed by the Church leaders. Among them is Catholic Archbishop Pierbattista Pizzaballa, the Apostolic Administrator of the Latin Patriarchate and Franciscan priest Father Francesco Patton, the Custos of the Holy Land.

"We hold in our prayers all those who are suffering in our region and throughout the world, and also, all those who are suffering in silence; for refugees, asylum seekers, and displaced people, for those who live under oppression, for those in want and deprivation, for all victims of violence and discrimination, and for all who strive for justice and reconciliation," the Church leaders wrote in their Easter message.

Jerusalem - city of hope, resurrection

Calling "Jerusalem, the City of Hope and the Resurrection," they said the "sacred, communal, and spiritual character" of the city continues to be a "beacon for hope, peace, and life for the people of this region and the entire world." The heads of Christian Churches in Jerusalem prayed that the Churches in the Holy Land be able to continue "unhindered" to fulfil their sacred duty as manifestations of the living Gospel to serve the poor, seek justice and walk in the light and love of the risen Christ.

Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

Return to “Coercri”