Transcendental Experiences

Free discussion of anything human or divine ~ Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality

Moderators: Xar, Fist and Faith

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Kizza wrote:I have had a few of those "looking down at myself" moments. Once after coming off a motorbike, I saw myself on the side of the road.
Once when I was crushed badly and couldn't breathe after being stuck too long at the bottom of a rugby ruck in NZ (you know how much "crush" 8 big Maoris can make?).
Yup I can definitely imagine. Love kiwis .. maoris, samoans, tongans .. big lads even those that dont play rugby. 8O

Interesting this out of body experiences that some have shared. That kind of puts an entirely different spin on the transcendental. Because perspective. Subjective experiences are usually reflective of ones perspective, not an external perspective which is what you are describing.

Now that has thrown a spanner among the works for me .. πŸ€” πŸ€” .. how does that come about? πŸ€” mmm.. thats perplexing.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Vraith wrote: I am TODAY officially closer to 60 than 50[/color]
Haha, happy birthday V. Y'know, I thought you were younger than that. :D

Never had an out-of-body thing. Might be the Aphantasia though. :D

--A
Kizza
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kizza »

Happy Birthday V,
Stop counting and enjoy!!
Never fight fair with a stranger, boy. You'll never get out of the jungle that way. - Arthur Miller
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Do you actually have aphantasia Av or you just saying its not actually how youre hardwired?

I said Happy Bday on the other page ;) :biggrin: :P

Just incase you think I dont give a fuck ;)
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Post by Avatar »

Yes, I actually have Aphantasia.

So nice that the medical profession finally realised it was athing and gave it a name. :D

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Happy birthday, V. I turn 55 in December.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

You just a baby FF πŸ‘Ά
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

AM NOT AM NOT AM NOT!!!!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Avatar wrote:Yes, I actually have Aphantasia.

So nice that the medical profession finally realised it was athing and gave it a name. :D

--A
I think you mentioned something about that before---though maybe I ran across it elsewhere---whichever, I did some reading up on it.
It seems both a little weird and a little not to me. Cuz I CAN form images...but it's WORK to do so. And that seems odd to me in myself because my dreams...at least the ones I recall...are mostly full-color and mostly image-packed. The opposite of my waking brain.
Also...I got interested enough in synesthesia a bit ago to do a bunch of reading. Even found a paper describing how to learn it...made a power-point based on it, gonna try it soon...but the strange thing...
One of the researchers in one of the studies found a person who has synesthetic aphantasia. [they didn't call it that, I jammed the words together].
When s/he tries to picture images, hears sounds instead.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Fist and Faith wrote:AM NOT AM NOT AM NOT!!!!
:LOLS:

;) riigghhhtt :P
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Post by Avatar »

Vraith wrote: I think you mentioned something about that before---though maybe I ran across it elsewhere---whichever, I did some reading up on it.
It seems both a little weird and a little not to me. Cuz I CAN form images...but it's WORK to do so. And that seems odd to me in myself because my dreams...at least the ones I recall...are mostly full-color and mostly image-packed.
Yeah, when Syl let me know they'd named it, I updated the thread I started about it years before. :lol:

No synesthesia for me I suspect. And I don't really dream so... :D

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Fascinating and weird phenomena lol πŸ˜‚ .. Aphantasia and Synthesia, but especially the latter ... and kinda hard to actually imagine what life is like, like that... and in Synesthesia particularly how the other senses interpret data normally seen, or heard etc.

Ive always had a photographic memory .. which aided me to ace University exams cos Id picture a piece of text and read it .. to remember a concept or principle. I could optimise the capability by colour coding particular parts, I needed to recall.

I suffered a brain injury a few years ago and have almost completely lost that ability .. its still there .. I remember in images and pictures. I do dream and always in colour, taste, scent. I know the latter are arguable but I remember what a thing tasted like, smelt like etc.. so funny πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

But doesn't naming it in this way kind of make it a disease or a disorder? I don't think that's necessarily accurate. A lot of communication problems and inconsistencies arise from visualizing things. That's my instinct anyway, haven't read Av's thread but this is also a thing that SRD says about himself right? Sorry I'm so out of date.
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

8O 8O 8O
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

And yes, anything associated with Av is likely a disorder.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

JemCheeta wrote:But doesn't naming it in this way kind of make it a disease or a disorder? I don't think that's necessarily accurate. A lot of communication problems and inconsistencies arise from visualizing things. That's my instinct anyway, haven't read Av's thread but this is also a thing that SRD says about himself right? Sorry I'm so out of date.
Well, a disorder isn't necessarily "bad," just a difference from the common or middle. [It can be bad, of course, but doesn't have to be--and can be good...or a mix of both. If it's wholly good, it's probably not LABELED as a disorder, but that's a perspective thing]
Do you think visualization results in more communication/consistency problems than language? I'm not sure of that. I'm pretty sure that more modes is better, in general. Saying blue and having a paint chip in hand is superior.

I think that SRD is closer to my situation than the full-on thing Av has. He can do it, but it's work...and doesn't happen naturally in normal conditions.
In normal conditions, it's all words.
If I'm writing along about Hubert's day, and Hubert enters a room, I don't have a damn clue what's in there until Hubert goes in and looks around. The words come out and TELL me what it "looks" like...but even then, I don't see it unless I stop writing and start visualizing, which doesn't do anything really except stop any writing from happening.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

Yeah fist you like how I just jump in like I was here yesterday? Hehehe
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Right?!? :lol:
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Post by Avatar »

JemCheeta wrote:Yeah fist you like how I just jump in like I was here yesterday? Hehehe
Haha, I love it! :D
JemCheeta wrote:But doesn't naming it in this way kind of make it a disease or a disorder?
Yes. Or at least, it doesn't make it one, but it creates that association / impression. (Something I've commented on elsewhere...I will bump the relevant thread, and link to my blog post about it.)
Fist and Faith wrote:And yes, anything associated with Av is likely a disorder.
:| :lol:

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

:LOLS:

hahahahahahahaha niiicccee ;)
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Return to β€œThe Close”