Mind's Eye

Free discussion of anything human or divine ~ Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality

Moderators: Xar, Fist and Faith

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Fist and Faith wrote:
Fist and Faith wrote:I see an image; information is stored as a result of that image; I use that information to recreate that image. How can it be that you are unable to recreate an image that you saw, and which was the source of the stored information? The brain is funny thing. :lol:
If you have the information, an image is clearly not required. :D
Which comes as quite a surprise to me. :lol:
Perhaps it's not so surprising [and/or maybe this will convey the idea to you in a graspable way].
Upthread you talked about memorizing a paragraph. When it's memorized, do you "see" it as a page?---because the info was, in fact, visual. Or remember letterless words? When you write it down, do you write it as the image? Same font? Do you "see" the original page while writing it down, or do you just write the words you are recalling? I'd bet almost anything you not only don't "see" the original page [at least not without doing it on purpose], you "think" the words AS SOUNDS, probably your own voice, as you are recalling/writing...even though there was no aural information in the original.
[[that isn't 100% accurate, because we cross-feed a lot. We teach our brains to do multiple layers/modes of encoding. It's wired to be able to do that, we just add the firmware and software for the particulars. When we see a printed "A" we hear the sound of "A" also [most of us], and, depending on context, other info simultaneously [like the definition or function of the letter if it is "A" car, or A=B+C]]

Sky---I don't see a person's face when a name is said or a thought occurs. I don't see a cake when someone says cake. Unlike Av, as I've said before, I CAN do it---but it's almost always work.
Fun fact...my wife is hyper-visual. Reading, especially highly descriptive things, like most fantasy, is SLOW for her. Because she "sees" [and a bit of all the other senses, too] EVERYTHING, and can't just charge ahead without seeing all the details clearly.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I have very, very, very often tried to find something I read, and found it because I could picture where on the page the particular passage was. I go through the book quickly, keeping my eyes on the particular area of the page that I can picture having seen it, until I see it as I'm turning pages.

Which isn't to say a lot of what you're saying isn't correct. Particularly not writing in the same font i read it in. But there is surely some visualization when I read. And I suspect Av could not look things up that way?
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

No, I remember roughly how far into the book it was, and roughly what came before or after whatever I'm looking for, and then scan for that.
Skyweir wrote:You dont see a pic of a cake in your head if you think cake?
Nope. I don't see any pictures at all in my head. Ever. Never have.

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Such a remarkable phenomenon .. this weirdness is .. but it is your normal .. so it wouldnt be weirdness to you.

Like FF I see images of the book I saw when I first read the book. When my memory was photographic .. not so much now .. but during exams .. if Id highlighted a part of a text .. I would see the coloured highlighted area of that text and read it .. I guess in my minds eye.

So you remember data .. do you see data? Numbers, figures? What is that like?
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I don't see anything. :D I just know it.

--A

Return to “The Close”