Gene Wolfe

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Mortice Root wrote:So, I read Book of the New Sun for the first time earlier this year, and am currently halfway through Wizard Knight. I gotta say, I'm really impressed. BotNS was easily the most challenging thing I've ever read. It was the only book I can remember reading and recognizing that I was missing a large chunk of what was happening while I was reading it. (I mean, with good books, I usually discover new things on a second or third reading, but ....wow). And while Wizard Knight seems a little less complex (so far at least) it's equally as enjoyable. I find I'm not always forming the same kind of emotional investment in the stories as I do with, say, SRD, but Wolfe's stuff is always fascinating to me.

So a couple of questions:

1- Is Wolfe always this good? ;)

2- Does he always use this type of "not-quite-reliable" first person narrator, or did I just happen to find two series where he does?

I love the fact that the lack or reliability is different though. With Able, I get the sense that he doesn't get what's going on anymore than I do. With Severain though, I got the impression that he knew exactly what was happening, he just didn't choose to always tell me.
As far as narrators, Patera Silk at least comes across as a reliable narrator. I believe that people have come up with examples of how he isn't...but the series reads a lot more like a "normal" book series. If that makes any sense.
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

It does make sense. Thanks for the info. But.... Which book is Patera Silk in?
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

The Book of Long Sun. The first book is Nightside the Long Sun, but I believe the edition still in print is Litany of the Long sun, a 2 book omnibus much like Shadow and Claw is for the New Sun series.
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

Very cool. Thanks, Holsety.
Tjol
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Tjol »

Holsety wrote:The Book of Long Sun. The first book is Nightside the Long Sun, but I believe the edition still in print is Litany of the Long sun, a 2 book omnibus much like Shadow and Claw is for the New Sun series.
Might you offer a synopsis of what the Long Sun series is about?

Also is the epilogue book of the new sun series worth reading?
"Humanity indisputably progresses, but neither uniformly nor everywhere"--Regine Pernoud

You work while you can, because who knows how long you can. Even if it's exhausting work for less pay. All it takes is the 'benevolence' of an incompetant politician or bureaucrat to leave you without work to do and no paycheck to collect. --Tjol
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Tjol wrote:
Holsety wrote:The Book of Long Sun. The first book is Nightside the Long Sun, but I believe the edition still in print is Litany of the Long sun, a 2 book omnibus much like Shadow and Claw is for the New Sun series.
Might you offer a synopsis of what the Long Sun series is about?

Do you mean urth of the sun or new sun or something?

As for the long sun series, I guess I'd put it like this:
Silk is a young and faithful priest in charge of a small parish (the books have another word for it but I don't recall what it is) in Viron, a city in "The Whorl." (his world) A mysterious deity named the "outsider", new to his pantheon of gods, calls on silk to save his parish from a crime lord who's bought the property out. As the book continues, he gains influence in the church as the gods continue to favor him with appearances in the church's windows, and he eventually leads a following against the current governing system. As the book continues, the truths of the history of his society, his religion, and the true purpose of "the whorl" are revealed.

It's actually sci-fi, but this isn't immediately apparent. I have also tried to cut out some details and stay consistent to the euphemisms the book uses.
Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

Tjol said
Meaning "Urth of the New Sun", correct?

I would say yes, it is. It is a little different, stylistically, than the rest of the New Sun series, and actually, was a little easier read. (But then so are most things.) I didn't think it was quite as good as the rest of the New Sun series, but I'd give the original series a 10 out of 10, and Urth probably an 8. Still very good, just not outstanding.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Mortice Root wrote:Tjol said
Meaning "Urth of the New Sun", correct?

I would say yes, it is. It is a little different, stylistically, than the rest of the New Sun series, and actually, was a little easier read. (But then so are most things.) I didn't think it was quite as good as the rest of the New Sun series, but I'd give the original series a 10 out of 10, and Urth probably an 8. Still very good, just not outstanding.
Just to say, I don't know what exact number I would assign the long sun series but I also prefer the book of new sun. Yet it is certainly a very good book (as I see it).

The only wolfe books I never really got into were the wizard knight books.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

New Sun - 10
Long Sun - 8 (possibly higher if it weren't for the last two books. I blame it on Horn)
Short Sun - 7

Wizard Knight - 9
Latro - 9 (except for Soldier of Sidon, which gets a 7)
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Caer Bombadil
Woodhelvennin

Post by Caer Bombadil »

Anyone know what's up with Ranjit Bhatnagar's Urth/Whorl mailing list? I was once a member before the merger & transition, & I'd been fitfully lurking & considering rejoining. However, since about the beginning of March, the "new" post-9-2004 archive appears to be offline; attempts to reach return a "404" error.

His blogs & news in the urth.net domain and moonmilk.com give no hint of anything special going on. For a short while, they went offline & "refused connection" too, but that seems to have cleared up. He has not answered an email.

Anyone know any Urth list news or plans? I certainly hope Ranjit (or the system admin) isn't pulling the plug & losing the archive without giving anyone else the opportunity to take it over.

Update: Apparently this was a temporary situation RB has now corrected. The site is fully back online now. :D
Last edited by Caer Bombadil on Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is said with some truth that there is no progress without loss; and it is always said, by those who wish to destroy good things, that progress requires it. No great insight or experience of the world is necessary to see that such people really care nothing for progress. They wish to destroy for their profit, and they, being clever, try to persuade us that progress and change are synonymous.
- Gene Wolfe
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Oh, hey! This reminds me. I finally found The Citadel of the Autarch, completing my New Sun collection. :D

--A
AjK
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Standing in the dark. Watching you glow. Lifting a receiver ...

Post by AjK »

Tjol wrote:Also is the epilogue book of the new sun series worth reading?
I agree with Mortis Root's assessment. If you enjoyed the first four books then I would fully recommend it. As before key information is often revealed subtly and with little dwell time. However, certain things in the first four books that require assumptions or stretched deductions (IMHO) to make sense of are spelled out or at least have more insight provided into them in this book. Remember to keep your eye on your watch and your calendar, LOL. Like the series a reread (or two) was also enlightening for me. Too much Severian is never enough!
AjK
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Standing in the dark. Watching you glow. Lifting a receiver ...

Post by AjK »

Avatar wrote:Oh, hey! This reminds me. I finally found The Citadel of the Autarch, completing my New Sun collection. :D

--A
Congratulations Avatar! Have you read it yet & if so did you like it? Personally I felt it had quite a different feel than the first three. Regardless, enjoy!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

For some reason, I had not heard that Gene Wolfe had passed away on April 14. He was 87.

I admired the way he could weave a story together. It was not so much "gripping" as it was "enticing". He could suck a reader in.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Sad news, but a good innings I guess. Maybe the first "surrealist" sci-fi writer I ever read. (The Island of Doctor Death & Other Stories and Other Stories.)

Severian probably one of the best sci-fi/fantasy characters ever.

--A

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”