How's everyone enjoying their "Global Warming"?

Archive From The 'Tank

How do you like the Global Warming so far?

This sucks like all get out!!!!!!!!!
58%
Mildly annoying
15%
Who cares, it's only weather
27%
This is kinda okay
No votes

Total votes: 26

Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I wasn't talking about their case; rather, I was talking about the continued "zomg the sky is falling" I keep seeing in "news" stories repeatedly. A few days ago I saw one blaming "climate change" on Dorian being a Cat5 storm...but I haven't seen anything since then about why it dropped back to Cat3. I can only presume that "climate change" is why hurricanes go up but there is no reason given as to why they drop again. (I know why--as hurricanes get closer to shore the shallower water does not have as much thermal energy in it, causing the storm to weaken--the same thing happened to Katrina, which was Cat5 only two days out from New Orleans.)
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I too dont think you get reliable data from the media whose business relies on sensationalising.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

Michael Mann himself blamed Hurricane Dorrian on climate change.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

This has probably been mentioned before but what if the news about climate change had been presented without being a plank in the ambition of a political group or the stigma of extreme hyper political partisanship attached?
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

aTOMiC wrote:This has probably been mentioned before but what if the news about climate change had been presented without being a plank in the ambition of a political group or the stigma of extreme hyper political partisanship attached?
It would still be a "so what?" situation. As noted, the climate is supposed to change--why is the climate supposed to be exactly like it was 100 or 1,000 years ago? That defies logic--the only situation in which the climate never changes would be "the planet is dead".

Alarmists don't really want commitment to "reversing climate change", though. What they want is the money committed to that cause, and the number one source of money is still the United States. That is why climate alarmists don't protest in Beijing--they don't want to risk getting disappeared into a Chinese prison.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

😬 totally not buying into THAT conspiracy theory.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Not a conspiracy theory, just an opinion. Of course, that opinion is backed up by the weird things they do, such as the person who asked a question of Sanders at his latest town hall, floating the idea of levying a "meat tax" on consumers--if you buy meat, you will pay more because apparently eating beef is a leading cause of climate change. This person does not realize that deforestation is not happening in the United States (at least, not on a scale like in Brazil). We haven't done large-scale slash-and-burn in over 150 years.

Strangely, Dorian has not made landfall yet--it approached the coast of Florida then turned sharply north to blow by Georgia and is now skirting the coast of the Carolinas.
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

Looks like Bernie Sanders said something dumb: abortion should be used to fight climate change.

Just how many people are they planning to abort? lol
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I saw that; wasn't sure where to go with that--I really don't think we want "abortion" to be something we are exporting to the world.

According to AOC, at least, it won't matter anyway since climate change is going to end the world--literally, apparently--in only 12 years. Who knew?

Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

There's apparently a group planning to reduce the world's population to 500,000,000. I wonder how they plan that, short of genocide.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

ur-Nanothnir wrote:There's apparently a group planning to reduce the world's population to 500,000,000. I wonder how they plan that, short of genocide.
I guess you find a way to suspend births world wide for a decade or so and let nature take its course on the other end. Of course you run the risk.of not being able to re start population renewal and end up wiping out the species entirely.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:According to AOC, at least, it won't matter anyway since climate change is going to end the world--literally, apparently--in only 12 years. Who knew?

What would now be interesting would be to find out what contributions or provisions AOC has made towards any pension fund or retirement income.

One would hope precisely zero, since she so fervently assures anyone she can find to listen that she will never get to retirement age...
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

aTOMiC wrote:
ur-Nanothnir wrote:There's apparently a group planning to reduce the world's population to 500,000,000. I wonder how they plan that, short of genocide.
I guess you find a way to suspend births world wide for a decade or so and let nature take its course on the other end. Of course you run the risk.of not being able to re start population renewal and end up wiping out the species entirely.
Barring any ethics discussions surrounding population control, 500 million is a pretty absurdly low number to aspire to. It would put humanity at risk of extinction, more so than 2 billion, which is a perfectly manageable number in itself.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Only the most misanthropic elitist thinks that global social engineering is a good idea for any reason, much less one as ridiculous as "to combat climate change". Exactly where do they think we will get the authority to tell other people how many children they get to have?

The Democrats from the debate want to outlaw:
red meat
internal combustion engines
nuclear power (even though it is safer and cleaner than coal)
incandescent light bulbs
coal
natural gas (this would suck for the people in places like Michigan who rely on heating oil in the winter)
plastic straws (again with the plastic straws--that one kid's stupid "research")

The one that really surprises me is "internal combustion engines", which would cover personal cars, trucks, boats, long-haul trucks (which would cripple a lot of industry sectors), airplanes, and military vehicles, no to mention generators for hospitals, lawn mowers, etc.

Still...this idea of needing to limit population growth is pretty heavy-handed. How is this dissimilar to anything like eugenics? Only "environmentally conscious people" should be having children? If Republicans suggested this there would be more cries of "Nazis" and "they want to kill future generations". That last one is especially hilarious since abortion literally kills future generations.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Global population is already leveling out. We have already reached "peak child." There is no need to engineer anything, it's happening on its own.

Democrats should change their party mascot from a donkey to Thanos.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Zarathustra wrote:Global population is already leveling out. We have already reached "peak child." There is no need to engineer anything, it's happening on its own.
You just don't get it, do you? We must cull a certain number of people and limit new births or we are all going to die screaming. Get with the program.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS: Yeah, I was gonna point out that population is estimated to plateau within 80 years or so.

--A
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

aTOMiC wrote:This has probably been mentioned before but what if the news about climate change had been presented without being a plank in the ambition of a political group or the stigma of extreme hyper political partisanship attached?
A rare case, which has become oddly even more rare in a forum supposedly dedicated to solving problems, where a real thing might matter:
It WAS, [like the majority of environment/pollution issues] non-partisan.
And, in fact, MOST people [even most right of center... even now, when political beliefs seem to be more and more causing fact choices, instead of facts leading to political alignment] believe---and they're correct---the change is caused by people, and it's not good, and something should be done.

Now everyone feel free to go back to the same old massive straw-folk and misleading [like twisting "People should have control, like birth control, over themselves into "Force people to have Abortions!!!" crap.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Y'know, thing is, I'm not sure this is one that can be fixed. It's certainly not going to be fixed by the people, unless the people put enough pressure on corporations that they start doing things differently.

It's one thing to know that there are problems and what they are, but it's another to give up your car and your convenient packaging etc. etc.

This is the kind of stuff that has to get pushed from the top down. Don't just tell people they should do x. Take away everything except x.

Is that going to happen? Doubt it.

--A
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

If most people believed "something should be done," then there would be no problem doing something. For most people, this is simply not that important. This impression is reinforced by the hysteria from those on the other side. Decades worth of dire predictions keep failing to come true, and yet dumbasses like AOC are saying the earth will be uninhabitable in 12 years.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.

Return to “Coercri”