Post by Rigel »

"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

OK, OK, here you go ;)

It's your basic kid-discovers-magic-is-real-and-goes-to-school, except the protagonist is in college. Yale, in fact.

The premise is that the secret societies at Yale (Skull and Bones, for instance) are always playing around with occult magic, and have had some unfortunate accidents. To keep things from getting out of hand, a specific house was founded to watch over the others, and stop them from misbehaving ("No more dead hobos" is their unofficial motto).

When school authorities discover a girl with the unusual ability to see ghosts without any magical assistance, they decide to give her a full-ride scholarship just to bring her into this society, thinking she'd be useful to have around.

But trying to survive regular courses at Yale is difficult enough without having extra courses in the occult, watching over midnight rituals, and, oh yeah, being a high school drop-out and drug addict.

I quite enjoyed the book; the author is a known YA novel, and this is her first series for adults. While not as emotionally complex as, say, James Baldwin, it's refreshing to see themes such as consent and victimhood being treated in the context of occult magic.
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Oh, hey!
I read this shortly after you posted it, and enjoyed your synopsis, Rigel!
Maybe it will get me into a book I wouldn't likely have stumbled upon otherwise. (or maybe not... don't know.)

I think that reading about undergrad culture at Yale would be enjoyable, or at least satisfy me being pointlessly curious.
I suspect that even if the house WERE NOT established to "watch over the other students," (do the students in the other houses know?) a change like establishing another house would cause resentment. (though perhaps mostly at the administration, and only partly at the 9th house's denizens)
The unofficial motto amuses.
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Sounds like something I would read, will keep an eye out. :D

--A
Linna Heartbooger

HEY! My awareness that the book "Ninth House" existed was perfectly good social capital the other day.

I basically gave my synopsis of your synopsis, Rigel, so thank you. :biggrin:
(One or more of the people I was talking to said they were thinking of reading it too. And it led to more interesting conversation.)
Rigel wrote:OK, OK, here you go ;)

It's your basic kid-discovers-magic-is-real-and-goes-to-school, except the protagonist is in college. Yale, in fact....
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Woohoo! Have you read it yet?
Linna Heartbooger

Well, I am now!
and it is very fun.
and disturbing.

It is totally not Harry Potter for adults, though. ;)
(I state that in my v. expert opinion, having read maybe 30 pages. if I'm generous with my estimate.)

Anyways, my hubbie is also reading it, and seems to be enjoying it.
-Flannery O'Connor

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”