Atlas of the Land Illustrations

Main forum for site announcements, suggestions, and help.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Vain

Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Atlas of the Land Illustrations

Post by Gaius Octavius »

I have been interested in purchasing a used copy of this book, but I was just curious what illustrations were inside the book itself.

I was looking at a fan site (theland.antgear.com/artwork.html) and saw some nice artwork of Andelain, Coercri and Kevin's Watch and was just curious if the artwork is found in this book or not.

I know there are diagrams of Soaring Woodhelvin and Revelstone but not much else.

Thanks for the help.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I think I need to get around to purchasing the Atlas of the Land, myself. It would makes re-reads more fun, to have this book open to the appropriate map while I read along... :read: 8O :biggrin:
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

It's by Karen Wynn Fonstad.

There are some pictures in the Album>Laborium.

Some of the pictures you saw might be from Realms of Fantasy. The Andelain in the forum title is.
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

Where can I find this "Realms of Fantasy" book? Who is the author? I did a Google search and found what appears to be a series of magazines.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I don't know. I just have dANdeLION's comment in the Laborium that says "From the book 'Realms Of Fantasy'", and "By Mark Harrison".

Mark Harrison's Art Blog says,
Guy Coulson has sold three of my old book jacket artworks. They are "Caddoran", "Hunting The Last Dragon" and "Andelain". "Andelain" was an illustration of the fictional land in the Thomas Covenant series of books by Stephen Donaldson and was used in "Realms Of Fantasy" published by Paper Tiger in 1983.
Which leads to:

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDe ... 2446322390

Now I am curious who Guy Coulson is. I tried to contact Mark Harrison about his Andelain artwork back in 2014, but I was unable to reach the correct Mark Harrison. Now he's gone and sold it to Guy Coulson. I think Coulson's the partner of John Avon, who also does fantasy artwork.
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

Sweet. Just bought a hardcover copy off Abe.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Let us know if it's good.

I know Andelain is in there. I think there's also a Foul's Creche, not sure.
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

I'm currently using my copy of the Atlas to help with running a D&D game, it's great for that.

The illustrations that it contains are all cartographical in style and nature, everything drawn to scale and includes all the iconic locations (and most, if not all, of the minor ones) in the first and second chronicles (as it was published before the third). There is no colour, no illustrations of characters or creatures of the land, nor anything that I would class as "artists impressions".

It also includes Haven Farm and the town, which is quite interesting.

If you're looking for flashy, impressive imagry, then it's not the book for you. If you're looking for a good way to get an idea of the true scale of the Land and the landmarks in it, it's fantastic.
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

I purchased a first edition copy of it anyway. I know it has detailed sketches of Soaring Woodhelvin and other places (even if it's not really a "flashy" image or whatever). I want to see if it gives any better insight into places like Mithil Stonedown.

It also seems that the Atlas is hard to find. I only found one first edition in hardcover online. I did see a lot of pristine looking book club editions, but I don't like how they are smaller and cheaply made.
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

There is a page for Mithil Stonedown with all the houses laid out, in relation to the Mithil river. There's a bit of blurb along side it too, so it should give you a little better idea about it.

The Atlas isn't easy to find, this is true. I was fortunate enough to find a fairly inexpensive hardcover copy about a year ago. I love it.
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Maps are cool.

--A
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

I received the Realms of Fantasy book, and I find it interesting enough. All of the Thomas Covenant-related artwork within the book can be found on the link in the OP, though. There's some biographical information about SRD as well. I didn't know that Lord Foul's Bane was rejected over 47 times by publishers and that SRD almost gave up on his writing career because of his difficulties getting stuff published.

The Atlas is pretty helpful. I've flipped through it and while most of the maps and diagrams were as I imagined the places in the books, it did clarify some issues I had with imagining how Revelstone and a couple other places looked.

Post by Avatar »

Haha, yeah, talk about persistence.

Pity there's not more in it.

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

--A
Indeed. I'm a little obsessed with them, myself. 8O :biggrin: 8)
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I still have my copy of The Atlas of the Land, which was a gift from the mezzo-soprano many years ago (27, in fact). I was young and naive; she was older and self-centered. But enough about the past.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.

Post by Avatar »

But that was in another country, and besides, the wench is dead.
--A
darthbuzz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by darthbuzz »

It is essential to have the atlas in my opinion.

________
"Whales love each other, they love life, just like we do."

Return to “Announcements + Suggestions + Q&A + Help”