Should there be swearing in Star Trek Picard?

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

darthbuzz
<i>Elohim</i>

Should there be swearing in Star Trek Picard?

Post by darthbuzz »

Hello, I was wondering what you think.
I think there should never be swearing in any Star Trek. There never has been before so why now? There should be more than 1 Sci-Fi franchise that can be enjoyed by an audience of any age. There is now only the 1, Star Wars.

And I am going to ignore Miles O'Brien's 'bollocks' that got past the American editors in DS9.

_________
"Whatever you want to do, do it. There's only so many tomorrows"
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I agree. No swearing. Star Trek was always supposed to show the best humanity can be. Now it's just....whatever.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I am kinda on board with that but..... people swear. And really it hasnt been over the top
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
darthbuzz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by darthbuzz »

Apparently this is not the place to post about Star Trek Picard.
All posts should go to the 'Andelain TV Shows' thread instead.

I guess this Star Wars and Star Trek Forum is for Star Trek and Star Wars films only. :?

_________
Vegan - Someone that has the nutty idea that hurting animals is a bad thing.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Either is fine. :D

Me, I'm a big fan of swearing. :D And as SB says, people swear. It's more realistic. :D

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Re: Should there be swearing in Star Trek Picard?

Post by Cord Hurn »

darthbuzz wrote:Hello, I was wondering what you think.
I think there should never be swearing in any Star Trek. There never has been before so why now? There should be more than 1 Sci-Fi franchise that can be enjoyed by an audience of any age. There is now only the 1, Star Wars.

And I am going to ignore Miles O'Brien's 'bollocks' that got past the American editors in DS9.

_________
"Whatever you want to do, do it. There's only so many tomorrows"
I've never seen Star Trek: Picard but I prefer no swearing, myself. :3M: It would be nice to keep it family-friendly on the ST television shows, though they've cussed in the ST movies for awhile, now. That's my opinion, for what it's worth. :? :soapbox: :2c:
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

The newer CBS Star Trek series have been adapted to conform to the tastes of the various contemporary creative teams involved in making Discovery and Picard. Those shows tend to appeal to viewers that prefer a darker, grimmer, much more regressive world than the one Gene Roddenberry created. Each show has also won over some fans of the classic original timeline shows but many longtime fans find this new interpretation unacceptable because of its retconned story elements, overt contemporary political and social agendas and its relatively bleak and cynical tone.
Star Trek has never been quite this pessimistic and there is far less emphasis on inspiring messages of a bright future.
I have watched enough to decide to ignore CBS All access shows for now and choosing to refer to Discovery and Picard as "Star Trek In Name Only". The bottom line is the aforementioned series provide entertainment for those who enjoy it and that's all any production can ask. However it is a given that you can't please everyone.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”