Any good colony management games?

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Any good colony management games?

Post by Rigel »

Recently I've been in the mood for a good colony management game, preferably pre-industrial, but not necessarily.

I quite enjoy Banished, but if you get through your first winter then most of the challenge is dealing with the interface rather than the game itself. I tried Foundation, which is in early access, but it ran so poorly that it gave me a headache.

Currently, I'm looking at videos of Dawn of Man, trying to decide if that's what I'm after. Any good suggestions?
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I've got Dawn of Man, it's pretty good. (Well, I enjoyed it anyway.) And they keep adding more stuff to it.

I assume you've played Rimworld?

I like The Universim as well, sorta a god-game/management thing. Quite fun and quirky, also regularly updated. Beta just launched, (it's early access) but I've seen full releases that are less well done than this beta. I got it back in alpha and didn't even realise it still hadn't released yet. Very polished and getting more and more expansive.

Oh, I also have something called "Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic"

Haven't tried it much, but it is being regularly updated.

--A
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Ah, Rimworld. My favorite little war crime simulator.

Actually I haven't played since the 1.1 release since I don't have the DLC yet, and most of my favorite mods were updated for it. I figured I'd try something new before I jumped back in.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Ha, think the last time I played it was like 0.4.7 or something. :D

As always, I really recommend Kenshi for emergent gameplay, but it's definitely not a colony manager. (Although you can create a base and set it up to produce food, weapons, armour, hash, whatever...) :D

I really love that game.

Speaking of Dawn of Man, I see they just released another addition to it...really surprised by how they keep working on it even long after release.

--A

Return to “PC & Console Games”