The Mordant's Need Trivia Game (Spoilers!!!)

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

samrw3 wrote:CH = big dog - Correct!!

CH - egret - sorry wrong :(
CH - 2 crows - sorry wrong :(

Although scavenger bird is on right tail :)

Remember my clue - doorbell bird - now think scavenger bird

Or possibly another clue in similar trail...bee bird and think scavenger bird
Thank you, Sam! It's nice to know I'm getting closer! A "bee bird" and think scavenger bird".

Hmmmm, okay, really thinking about it: a hummingbird buzzes and flits about like a bee, and it has a dietary need for nectar and pollen a lot like the bees; but it's no scavenger in the sense of eating animal flesh. T

Therefore, the clue "a bee bird" doesn't reference a bird resembling a honey-making insect but refers to a type of bird whose name begins with the letter B. The brown smoky being is no smaller than two buzzards!
samrw3 wrote:Also don't forget the other question

Sounds like: HINT [Aegan; Adriatric; Mediterranean; Black; Red; Caspian; Persian]
"B" sounds like "sea".
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Here is the question with a few parts:

1. Who brought the Image that destroyed Kragen's catapults - CH - Adept Havelock - Correct!

2. What was the object that actually destroyed the catapults? - CH - big rock - Correct!

Of 3 following correctly identify 3 of the following --bonus of getting all five!!
3. a. Color -CH - brown - Correct!
b. sound like? -- CH -- Sea -well my clue was cryptic but that is half the answer so I will accept it :) the totally correct answer is seabird
c. no bigger than a? CH - large dog - Correct!
d. no more than twice the size of? - CH - two buzzards well close enough I will allow it - Correct. Technically the correct answer is just buzzard.
e. type of form - correct word is somewhere is this list: Gas, giant, wooden, leaden, corrosive, smoke,liquid, puffy, vapor, cloudy, acid, fiery, wavy --CH - smoke - Correct!

Now for fun question who does Tor remind me of from a film character? Before you say how could we know - I am giving three gigantic hints. also I will not hold up the game if after the hints you get the answer horribly wrong

Hint 1 - character in Austin Powers films
Hint 2 one famous quote: "Get in my belly!!"
Hint 3 - Played by Mike Myers
-CH - Fat Bastard - Correct!!

Quotes:
he saw a brown shape as imprecise as a puff of smoke
it was no bigger than a large dog, no more than twice the size of a buzzard
thought he heard a faint thin cry, like the wail of a seabird.

So congratulations Cord Hurn!!!!!!!!! Thank you for being patient through my hints and clues!! :yourock: :letsparty: :rockband:

Your question!
Not every person is going to understand you and that's okay. They have a right to their opinion and you have every right to ignore it.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Thank you for the challenging question! It was fun to think about and work with, Sam!! 8) :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'd forgotten it was described as sounding like a seabird (a gull or a sandpiper, or what, we don't know).

Your "go-to" image of the Tor is interesting to know, and I can see how the Fat Bastard could fit the descriptions of the Tor, for sure; whatever works for you while you're enjoying the story is what counts. I don't know if I can name a character or actor that is imagined as a model for what I imagine the Tor to look like. I think I visualize him a bit differently every time I read the Mordant's Need books, just remembering to think of him as fat, old, and often appearing sorrowful or in physical pain.

I will give some thought to the next trivia question, Sam! Yours will be a hard act to follow, it is acknowledged! 8O :biggrin:
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

For the Tor, I always think of William Conrad or Orson Welles later in life...
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

IrrationalSanity wrote:For the Tor, I always think of William Conrad or Orson Welles later in life...
That could work for me. Kind of steely-eyed old fat men.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

New question: When Eremis has completed the task of refilling Orison's reservoir, he visits Barsonage and inquires what research the Congery is doing to defend the castle.
What does Barsonage tell Eremis the Congery is doing to defend Orison?
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Damn...I remember it was a diversion, but I can't remember what he claimed they were doing...

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Avatar wrote:Damn...I remember it was a diversion, but I can't remember what he claimed they were doing...

--A
Not so much a diversion as it was an exaggeration by Barsonage meant to fool Eremis.

Talking to Eremis, Barsonage made it sound like this research project was all the Congery was doing for defense, when there were other research projects going on with the Congery that Barsonage didn't mention to Eremis..
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Although the exaggeration was used as a diversion in a way. It kept Eremis from snooping further and thinking the Congery was in poor control of possible defenses.
Not every person is going to understand you and that's okay. They have a right to their opinion and you have every right to ignore it.

Post by Avatar »

That was what i was thinking. :D Still can't remember what he claimed though. :D

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

samrw3 wrote:Although the exaggeration was used as a diversion in a way. It kept Eremis from snooping further and thinking the Congery was in poor control of possible defenses.
That is very true! :read: 8) :thumbsup:

It could also be characterized as a time when Master Barsonage chose not to tell the whole truth to Eremis, if that clue helps. :3M:
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

I'm sure if they look hard enough, they'll find their way through to the answer...
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Perhaps for them the answer will seem to appear from out of nowhere, and it won't seem as if they've gone crazy, after all.

Post by Avatar »

Ok well... :D

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Another hint: what fundamental tenet of Imagery known to the Congery do the renegade Images seem to violate by their ability to appear anywhere in the world at will?
Hunchback Jack
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Maybe, two tenets?

1) That you need a flat glass to translate to somewhere else in the same world, and ...
2) Such a translation should drive the translator mad?

Edited to add: dammit, I answered the hint and not the question! :oops: :lol:

HBJ
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Hunchback Jack wrote:Maybe, two tenets?

1) That you need a flat glass to translate to somewhere else in the same world, and ...
2) Such a translation should drive the translator mad?

Edited to add: dammit, I answered the hint and not the question! :oops: :lol:

HBJ
True, HJ, but it looks to me that you are VERY CLOSE to answering the question! 8O
Hunchback Jack
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Does it have something to do with trying to create mirrors that show locations within the castle and then placing them in those locations such that invaders would see themselves in them?

HBJ
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Hunchback Jack wrote:Does it have something to do with trying to create mirrors that show locations within the castle and then placing them in those locations such that invaders would see themselves in them?

HBJ

Unfortunately, no. :cry:
Hunchback Jack
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Well, that would be rather convoluted, given that most Imagers can't really control what location mirrors show. :lol:

(Aside: I love the rules that Donaldson created for Imagery, by the way.)

Return to “Mordant's Need”