What non-fiction books should I read?

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

What non-fiction books should I read?

Post by deer of the dawn »

I went looking for nonfiction books and discovered that people really, really, really like True Crime books. Seriously. That's all I could even find on Gutenburg.org, except for a few biographies (and most of those were about horrible criminals and pirates). What the heck is wrong with people?

I like memoirs by interesting people, like Life and Death in Shanghai, Reading Lolita in Teheran; or historical books like Over the Edge of the World or Guns, Germs and Steel (not sure how you would classify that). My sister gave me The Tipping Point but it's sitting there half-finished since November, so...

I am very interested in Our Women on the Ground, essays by Arab women reporters.

Got recommendations for nonfiction books that aren't gory retellings of horrible crimes?
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Anthony Bourdain: Kitchen Confidential
Howard Marks: Mr Nice

--A
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert Pirsig
the Devil in the White City - Erik Larsen
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

The Big Short. So much better than the movie.

Everyone who watches the movie comes away saying "Bankers are crooks!" But the reality of the situation is that mortgage-backed securities and investments are incredibly complicated, and every individual choice seems reasonable (and ethical!) at the level it was made at. The whole point is that there aren't bad guys twirling mustaches out there, but that the sum of these decisions led to unforeseen problems for everyone else.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Gosh - this is a difficult one...... and that's from a man who read nothing but non-fiction for twenty five years!

Lyton Strachey's Eminent Victorians is a first class read. The author has an incisive wit and an undeniable charm as he disects his three (I want to say victims, but will stick with) subjects - Florence Nightingale, Lord Gordan and I think Cardinal Newman if I recall correctly.

Yes - I highly recommend this one.....

Oh yes - and Edith Sitwell's English Eccentrics. Simply the best opening paragraph to any book ever written - and who could forget her description of failed actor 'Curricle' Coates, shaking his fist at the audience who mocked him and roaring "Ye bucks of the boxes who roar and reel - too drunk to listen, too proud to feel........" Magic!
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “General Literature Discussion”