The Land of Broken Promises

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

peter
The Gap Into Spam

The Land of Broken Promises

Post by peter »

Coming back to this forum makes my toes curl in embarrassment. I'm such a shallow prick with absolutely no staying power when it comes to reading (nine out of ten books I start I toss aside within a couple of days) that I rarely ever finish a book. I have to be hooked almost from page 1 to bother to continue with it.

Last night I started one by Andrew Marr (the interviewer from the BBC); he should have stuck to interviewing! I might give it one more night - but I might not.

Looking down the list of threads here I see countless ones where I have started this book, that book - made promises to post on how I'm getting on, and then never returned to them. How can I ever expect to be taken seriously if I exhibit all of the staying power of a house-fly on speed. I'm a frikkin'expert on first chapters and that's about it!

Forget 'Mr Reliable' - Mr Unreliable, that's me! Don't ever agree to meet me under a lamppost outside Liberty's on Regent Street; I won't show up. Or even worse - I might!

;)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I have the opposite problem...I feel compelled to read it even if I'm not enjoying it.

Very few books get abandoned, even when I really should.

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

On a positive note the Andrew Marr book has morphed into a reasonable read. It's hooked me in, and is short enough, such that I will probably just about see it through. With a need to finish books that possibly don't deserve to be finished Av, your speed reading skills are going to be a real plus for you!

:)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “General Literature Discussion”